Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Man O Lantern

God, that's a really good album!

Is there an album, CD, soundtrack that you own, or you've downloaded...and you talk about it with people and they've not only never heard it, but they've never heard of it??

For me, it's a-ha's Minor Earth, Major Sky from 2000.

Here's some info and you can listen here:

http://forum.a-ha.com/thenewsite/dis...sco-minor.html

When I downloaded the CD into my iTunes a month ago, I was reminded of what a phenomenal album it is....I can't stop listening.

The song, "Velvet" in particular is incredibly beautiful. Enjoy!!

Please share yours....I'm always looking for random but really great songs!!!

Re: God, that's a really good album!

A-Ha. Wow. Most people only vaguely remember their hit song "Take on Me." It's nice to see there are still fans of this band in the US.

It seems to me that a good portion of the music I listen to is obscure enough that most of my friends haven't heard of it, except when I mention it to them. Although it has gotten more popular than when I first heard it early last year, Thunder, Lightning, Strike by The Go! Team is one of those CDs that is catchy, fun, and unique. It was an import for a while, but was finally released in the states a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    Is there an album, CD, soundtrack that you own, or you've downloaded...and you talk about it with people and they've not only never heard it, but they've never heard of it??

For me, it's a-ha's Minor Earth, Major Sky from 2000.

Here's some info and you can listen here:

http://forum.a-ha.com/thenewsite/dis...sco-minor.html

When I downloaded the CD into my iTunes a month ago, I was reminded of what a phenomenal album it is....I can't stop listening.

The song, "Velvet" in particular is incredibly beautiful. Enjoy!!

Please share yours....I'm always looking for random but really great songs!!!

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

I love Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, but always get blank stares when I mention them. Which is kind of funny cause they have a bunch of CDs out. http://gimmegimmes.com/site.html

I'm also partial to Brian Setzer http://www.briansetzer.com/, whose name gets "is he still around?" and Burning Image, one of our local bands http://burningimageband.com/ who are apparently big in Europe

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by bejeweledcat
    I love Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, but always get blank stares when I mention them. Which is kind of funny cause they have a bunch of CDs out. http://gimmegimmes.com/site.html
    I really like the Gimme Gimmes, I played them for Sunnygirl in the car once and she really liked them as well.

Of course my favorite album is Before These Crowded Streets by Dave Matthews Band, not really obscure, but not that well known either. I know I'm forgetting some great albums, but I'll have to get back to that one

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Why do you keep talking?

30 Seconds To Mars is not really well known, but it should. It's Jared leto's band (yes the actor) but it's soooo good. I absolutely LOVE () both of their CDs
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Hedonist

Heh - that sounds like a lot of albums I listen too: a couple of my favorites

Until the End of the World Soundtrack and Smoke City's Flying Away I could listen to them over and over again - and have.

• Huh?

Helium Vola

I found that band listening to their single Omnis Mundi Creatura on an internet radio station a couple years ago. It's one of the few times that an album has simply amazed me (Virgin Black's Sombre Romantic is another of these). I haven't heard much from Helium Vola's newer albums, but their self titled debut is a MUST HAVE. Completely in German and Latin, but the liners are in German, Latin, and English.

And, look... they have a website!
    -Tim

• They wanna know, HO!

Only two recent albums have really changed my world.......

American Idiot - Green Day
    Mezmerize/Hypnotize - System of a Down

those two albums restored my faith in music.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Right now I am TOTALLY digging "Stars of CCTV" by Hard-Fi (www.hard-fi.com). Current British power pop at its best!

I'm also digging an album by a band called Moving Units. Sadly I don't know what it's called as my copy is a CD-R I got from a friend.

• Circle of Ancients

Pretty much ANY Rush album. It's kind of sad, they have been around for 31 years, have sold as many albums as ALOT of HUGE bands (because they have loyal fans) yet nobody knows who they are.

• They wanna know, HO!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    Pretty much ANY Rush album. It's kind of sad, they have been around for 31 years, have sold as many albums as ALOT of HUGE bands (because they have loyal fans) yet nobody knows who they are.
    I know Rush from Harvey Birdman, Attorney At Law......

Phil: "Due to the increase in threat, I'm going to have to raise the threat level up from Black-Watch Plad to the cover of Rush's seminal album Moving Pictures!"
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Happy Memories

I like a lot of random stuff, but my most common "discoveries" that I wind up sharing with friends are musical theatre related. Most recently I've been spreading the love for composer Jason Robert Brown. He's absolutely amazing, and I think most of his still is accessible and enjoyable even to non theatre junkies. If you are unfamiliar with him, start with "Songs for A New World." It was his first produced show and rather than a fluid story, it's actually more of a collection of material he had written over several years. It was big exposure for him that got him out of the cabarets and hired to work on bigger shows.

• Gay Man

Two of my favorite happy pop albums are:

Belle and Sebastian "Dear Catastrophe Waitress"

and

The Go-Betweens "16 Lovers Lane"

I never get tired of these two albums - esepcially when I need a boost.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    Gee, everyone I know, including my two college kids, have heard of Rush. Not everybody likes them, but they've heard of them. Personally, I still have every album from "Rush" through "Signals" on vinyl.

I remember A-hah, or however it was spelled. As I recall, they were a couple of Norwegian guys. They were good, but a little too "techno" for me. I really like another Norwegian act called "Kings of Convenience". One of their songs was in a wireless phone commercial. Other than that, nobody has heard of them and they are awesome!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Yeah, just about every local aartist!

Sara Bareilles' Careful Confessions is amazing. She's signed to a label now and her new CD will be out later this year.

All of Gabriel Mann's CDs are great, but his latest, which is self titled, I like the best.

They're just two of the best. I could go ON and On!

(I'd say Tony Lucca, but ALL my friends love him! Plus, his commercial CD is crap - they had to make it "radio friendly" )
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast