• insufferable know-it-all

Question about those home redecorating shows

Okay, so I have a question about all those remodeling shows... are they doing the remodeling work totally free, or are the people who call them out still having to pay for it? I've always wondered that!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Question about those home redecorating shows

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Okay, so I have a question about all those remodeling shows... are they doing the remodeling work totally free, or are the people who call them out still having to pay for it? I've always wondered that!
    As far as I know, the people on the show get the work done at no charge to them (another question: do they have to pay taxes on their "winnings" like game show contestants?)
    Of course, on shows like "Trading Spaces" the people are basically stuck with what they get. 95 per cent of the time the wife (the only one whose opinion really counts ) loves it and everything is hunky-dory....of course, my favorite episodes were the ones where the HATED IT (happened a few times, at least on Trading Spaces).
    On Extreme Makeover, In A Fix, and the like..I've never seen one where they haven't loved the results.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• I'm your huckleberry.

I know there have been some people who lost their house because they couldn't afford the taxes on all the additions. There was a HUGE lawsuit over that a couple of years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesnít make anything anymore, but thatís not exactly true. Weíre the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Sock Puppet

I think it varies by show. Although not a decorating show, on This Old House much of the materials are donated by the manufacturer, but the owners pay for the contractors.

On Trading Spaces the budget is, what, $1000? I doubt that adds up to much in taxes. Now, if you're a person on Extreme Makeover Home Edition, I'd expect the IRS will be handing you a major spanking come April 15.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Yea, it depends on the show.

I wanted one of the landscape shows to do my yard but you needed a $10,000 minimum budget for them to even consider it (your own $$$)! My yard is SUCH a candidate to have a show re-do it too.

I read somewhere that Extreme Home Makeover does something like leasing the property for the time they're filming, then somehow the homeowners don't have to pay taxes on the improvements.

They would however have to pay increased property taxes.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I also wonder, if shows like Monster House and Extreme Makeover can rebuild and redo houses in 7 days, does that mean the house would be safe to live in even though all the contractors were rushed through the process? Or after filming do contractors stop buy to the houses every now and then to inspect that everything is done right and safe?

But as for Morri's question, I would be shocked if the home owners don't have to fork any money. Even though Oprah is not Trading Spouses and what not, did you hear about the money people had to pay for the new cars Oprah gave them? I am not sure if the had to pay the cars taxes and/or car insurance, but some were upset with the price they had to pay.

• Queen of Randomness

Being an interior design major it's interesting to hear the opinions of my professors that are actual interior designers.