Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Re: Michaels, Madden, and Oswald??

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredByWalt
    By Disney reacquiring the rights to the character, wouldn't that prevent NBC from ever distributing the shorts themselves? That's assuming that Disney didn't actually get the content. But go look at Darkbeer's other postings in the news section. It sounds like Disney got all of the Oswald content. Does anyone else think we'll get a Disney Treasures DVD release out of this?

By the way... good on ya, Bob Iger. I couldn't imagine the previous CEO being the slightest bit interested.
    I think we will see some content be released likely next year, maybe... Independant of the Treasures DVD...
    Check out my other blog:

• I was deleted.

Linking the Press Release from the News Forum here.

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

The ESPN story on the deal is very tongue-in-cheek, and has a picture of Oswald to boot.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2324417

I particularly like Al Michaels quote about the deal:

"Oswald is definitely worth more than a fourth-round draft choice," Michaels said, referring to what the Kansas City Chiefs gave the New York Jets as compensation for releasing coach Herm Edwards from his contract. "I'm going to be a trivia answer someday."
    And it still amazes me that Iger gave enough thought to step into what was a "sports deal" and get Oswalt out of it!
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    Good hire for NBC for their Sunday Night Football package (Al Michaels and John Madden back together). As for Monday, while I love Tony Kornheiser on "PTI"...I see no reason why they (ESPN) couldn't have shifted over their already good Sunday night team of Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann and Paul Maguire over to Monday.
    And Oswald will make a dandy sideline reporter, I'm sure .

with all due respect, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?! Patrick, Theismann, and Maguire are HORRIBLE!!!! all three do nothing but bicker and fight amongst one another. none can admit when theyre wrong, even when replay clearly overturns a call. I hated watching my team play on Sunday night football, cuz i could not stand listening to the commentators. They're biased, obnoxious, and dont get along. Thank God this team from Hell was finally broken up. Great hire with Kornheiser, I can't wait to hear him in the booth. I love the guy. How many Uranus jokes are we gonna get each game though? lol But seriously, he's a great analyst. I just hope he continues his PTI gig too, cuz him and Wilbon are the greatest tandem EPSN has.

And thanks, Mr. Iger, for finally getting Oswald back where he belongs. Welcome home Mr. Rabbit.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• oh bugger

Wow. thanks guys for all the added info, this story has really developed over the course of the day. The more I read about it the happier I am that this deal took place. Good job Iger for not only making right within the Disney family, but also bringing back a part of the Co.'s legacy and history. It really does show a lot of symbolic pride of what Disney is and stands for. More than just a business deal it really was the right thing to do.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

This is a fascinating little development. I guess there is a possibility that Oswald could be brought into the 21st century as a "new" character. There's certainly little (relative) income to be gained by the old cartoons. BUT... what strikes me more about this deal is the fact that Oswald was even brought up at all. This makes me a little more curious about Robert Iger. That he would sit at the negotiating table making a deal with Universal... and would even bother to say, "Hey... as long as we're doing this, why don't you toss in Oswald too?"
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

Tom--

It's even more amazing than that! According to the ESPN article, the negotiation was between the ABC Sports/ESPN President and the NBC Sports Chairman, at least initially, and that the ESPN President raised the issue of Oswalt at the beginning. Which means Iger must have viewed this from the very start as an opportunity to acquire him!
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    This is a fascinating little development. I guess there is a possibility that Oswald could be brought into the 21st century as a "new" character. There's certainly little (relative) income to be gained by the old cartoons. BUT... what strikes me more about this deal is the fact that Oswald was even brought up at all. This makes me a little more curious about Robert Iger. That he would sit at the negotiating table making a deal with Universal... and would even bother to say, "Hey... as long as we're doing this, why don't you toss in Oswald too?"
    That is a noticable attention to detail... It speaks volumes about how Iger feels about respecting and protecting Walt's legacy and his creative content... That Oswald would hold value and garner some importance for CEO? I think this means Iger understands that the Disney Company isn't just about numbers...

I can see how the whole Disney family would be happy by this... As well as the hard core Disney fans...

Iger is beginning to turn me into a believer... He just needs to get the studio (Touchstone and Miramax) a little magic... If that happens than a "harmonic convergence" will occur in the company... And I think you will see the share price will reflect it...
    Check out my other blog:

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

This comment is nothing against Mr. Iger, but I bet he had some serious input from both Roy Disney and Diane Disney-Miller into trying to get the rights to Oswald. I am glad to see he listened to both of them, but based on what has happened the last few months, I think that Bob and Roy are having regular meetings
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Official Mice Chat person

Wow, this is great news! It only took close to 80 years and the right guy to do it. This gives me a very good impression of Iger, I bet Eisner didn't even know who Oswald was.

If disney does anything with Oswald, who knows, he could show up at the parks.

• Minion

Wow! Somewhere Walt and Roy O's ghosts are really smiling!

The retrun of Oswald corrects a major injustice in Walt's career that affected him for years...

Bob Iger is on a roll to do what's right for the legacy - - Keep it up, Bob!!! I'm becoming your number one fan!

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

Welcome home, Lucky Rabbit...

• keep moving forward...

allright... who knows how to contact mr iger... im officially a fan of this guy... way to go!!!!

who knows... at this rate we may be seeing another famous disney rabbit on dvd sooner then we think....

• keep moving forward...

but i swear if that rabbit becomes a part of the fab five and replaces the one that saved the companys butt then i'll be right behind that angry mouse with a torch and a pitchfork... and elmer fudd.... it'll be wabbit season... haahaha... they have a rabbit again...

pete, donald, and oswald...

rabbit season!!!
    duck season...
    "i dont care what season it is im getting both of you"

• keep moving forward...

this is certainly a historic year for disney... already...

disney purchase of pixar
    disney sequels division being killed
    possible release of sots
    and the return of oswald

way to go iger... im going to tell my kids about this one day...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast