Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Michaels, Madden, and Oswald??

i thank Mr Iger for bringing a character back to where he belongs. I think he is listening to roy and diane. he wants to make disney what it once was again and he wants to keep the family's support. So far he is doing a pretty good job of it. Will be interesting to see who the next chairman will be and how they work together. Mitchel doesn't fit the new disney mold in my opinion and i really would like to see a member or two of the disney family on the board. maybe one for each side. One of walt's grandchildren and one of roy's. They may not be the single largest stockholders but as a family they are still influencial if they want to be. and one more time.. Welcome home oswald

• Huh?

Oswald is the current feature at the archives... so it looks like somebody's excited.

Were the Oswald pictures up before on the archives site? Was there even a page devoted to him?

Hmmm... I was wondering about how Universal/NBC could ever use their stash of Oswald shorts with the character being under property of Disney... but I think I see how:

Looks like Oswald changed so much eventually that he could in no way be tied to the Disney creation...

But that still leaves a lot in question... Take a look at a similar poster:

Some Lantz era posters has the Disney version, others have an Oswald that looks closer to the rabbits featured in Tortoise and the Hare. So, while I can see that Universal could easily release the later, more rabbit-like shorts to capitalize on a renewed interest in the character, what could they possibly do with those shorts that are post-Disney, but still look like the Disney character? And does this include the post-Disney sound additions that they made to the Disney shorts from when Oswald was being shown on TV?
    -Tim

• Pathetically Obsessed

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I think Walt could not have brought Oswald back only because it was such a painful reminder for him.

Also, as said before, Mickey's creation happened because of Oswald. Walt always loved Mickey, and it would be like bringing back a rival. (I know that Mickey is a character, but Walt talked about him as if he was a real person.)

I am sure that this was done to please Diane or Roy or both.

THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER IS: Oswald has NO VALUE!!

1) No child knows him and it would be too expensive to create fans now.

2) Oswald became the name of an assassin of the President of the United States. That name will always remind people of that terrible deed.

3) Characters can only have a copyright of 100 years now. So there are less than 20 years left anyway. (It used to be 75 years, but when Mickey's copyright approached, Disney petitioned congress to change it to 100 years, which they did.)

It is nice of Iger to do something like this to please the Disney family members.
    Great points GCF, but I'll respectfully disagree with you on all of the above. No child knows any character in a Pixar or Disney animated movie before it's released. I'd wager they know a thing or two about Frozone, Belle, Ariel, and Simba now. Point is, the success of the story telling through animation endears the characters to us in such a way as they are embedded in pop culture (well, for the successfull movies anyway) and are what kids talk about, decorate their rooms in, etc after the movie become a smash hit. Put Oswald's future in John Lasseter's very capable hands and see what happens. My guess? Big hit, especially after people begin to understand Oswald's legacy.

And point number two...not sure how an animated rabbit dancing around a barnyard could illicit images of assasinating the POTUS. Just a thought.

Lastly, a company can renew it's copyright. Costs a hundred bucks or so. I think Disney can probably afford it.

• Huh?

Agreed about the disagreement of Number 2. Do we need to change the name of any Disney character named John because a John shot Abraham Lincoln?

The big problem with the character right now is for them to figure out a way to make the purchase worth something. Will it purely be for a DVD release or biographical purposes?

Will they bring the character back to the fold? And if so -- how? The character isn't like the rest - he's been left undeveloped! Will he become like the Bosko episode of Tiny Toon Adventures? Will he become the wacky old B&W star more along the lines of Animaniacs?

I'd say a good start might be a direct to video release. One that's more along the lines of Mickey's Once/Twice Upon A Christmas. Something that will creep the character in slowly, giving him a bit of a sypathetic role.

One hurdle is that Oswald is basically a rabbit version of Mickey. So how do we distinguish the two? Well, Oswald Cartoons seemed a lot more screwy in comparison to Mickey... he could easily become the wackier friend of Mickey.
    -Tim

• oh bugger

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredByWalt
    And point number two...not sure how an animated rabbit dancing around a barnyard could illicit images of assasinating the POTUS. Just a thought.

Lastly, a company can renew it's copyright. Costs a hundred bucks or so. I think Disney can probably afford it.

Extending a copyright isn't always just a matter of renewing it. They expire after 100 years. Yes, thanks to none other than Sono Bono and the Walt Disney Co. this was extended from 75-100 years not too long ago. Mickey Mouse will lose his copyright under current law in something like 2028 or so. We probably won't see copyright law up for debate until then. No other Co. has pursued the issue so strongly. It's not just a few hundred bucks, don't be fooled. This is and has been a HUGE investment for the company to petition lawmakers to pass extension measures.

As for Oswald, it could be possible that his copyright could be up sooner, or since he has gone through different stages that he could be a different character now than he was then and the new version would have 100 years on his watch, but, at the same time giving the old stuff up into the public domain. As of now not many people know of Oswald as was said earlier, but if Disney wants to do anything more than a DVD Treasures release you could see copyright law up for debate a few years sooner now if they want to protect his library of shorts.

I would love to see some Oswald material available, or even.... new material, but its difficult, its not so black and white (har har).

Lastly, I don't think the name Oswald holds much stigma left anymore. Its passed from most consciousness just as Oswald the Lucky Rabbit has passed out of stardom. I think if Oswald was brought back it would even help to dispell any stigma against the name.

• Minion

I think Walt could not have brought Oswald back only because it was such a painful reminder for him.

Also, as said before, Mickey's creation happened because of Oswald. Walt always loved Mickey, and it would be like bringing back a rival. (I know that Mickey is a character, but Walt talked about him as if he was a real person.)

I am sure that this was done to please Diane or Roy or both.

2) Oswald became the name of an assassin of the President of the United States. That name will always remind people of that terrible deed.

3) Characters can only have a copyright of 100 years now. So there are less than 20 years left anyway. (It used to be 75 years, but when Mickey's copyright approached, Disney petitioned congress to change it to 100 years, which they did.)

It is nice of Iger to do something like this to please the Disney family members.
    I am going to have to disagree with you to JCF... Even if the move was strictly to appease the Disney Family, Oswald woult have value.

Most of us in our thirties and our younger childred do not connect Oswald with Lee Harvey... We have no recolection of Kennedy Assasination other than movie film bits...

What makes you think that Disney won't petition congress to make it 150?
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion FOREVER!

Actually, Oswald has no value to Universal. BUT Disney could at least sell DVDs
    (I would buy that set!) and show him in its historical videos now which it couldn't before. That's probably not a huge amount but probably worth around a $1M.
    Basically, it restores a part of Walt's history at one of its critical junctures.

Mr. Iger, thank you very, very much for thinking and caring enough to do this!

• Pathetically Obsessed

OK - still waiting for someone to Photoshop Al Michael's face into Oswald's body.....

c'mon - I'd do it, but I do actually have to work today...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Out of curiousity, what do you think Disney will do when Mickey's copyright expires. Will they just design a newer Mickey and copyright that design? Or is it set so that when Mickeys copyright expires, no matter what new designs of him they do try to create, they lose Mickey all in all? Then what will they do with no Mickey?

• oh bugger

What do y'all think of this:
    Many people have believed erroneously that the Mickey Mouse character is protected only by copyright. In fact, the Mickey Mouse character, like all major Disney characters, is protected as a trademark, which like all trademarks lasts in perpetuity as long as it continues to be used commercially by its owner. Whether or not a particular Disney cartoon goes into the public domain, the characters themselves will remain protected as trademarks from unauthorized use.

I didn't write it, found it on wikipedia. Is this true..? If it is then whats with the Copyright Term Extension Act that was heavily lobbied for by Disney who gave thousands to politicians Coble and Rep. Howard Berman (D-Calif.), a senior member of the Judiciary Committee.

Does Disney have the same trademark on Oswald? I would doubt it, did Universal? Maybe. But Diane Disney Miller said "Having Oswald around again is going to be a lot of fun." So, it looks like Oswald could appear somewhere for us the consumer. I wonder if Lasseter also wanted this as an available option for him to add to the Disney lineup... too much of a coincidence, am I just stretching it too far with that?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenb52
    Many people have believed erroneously that the Mickey Mouse character is protected only by copyright. In fact, the Mickey Mouse character, like all major Disney characters, is protected as a trademark, which like all trademarks lasts in perpetuity as long as it continues to be used commercially by its owner. Whether or not a particular Disney cartoon goes into the public domain, the characters themselves will remain protected as trademarks from unauthorized use.

• Pathetically Obsessed

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenb52

I didn't write it, found it on wikipedia. Is this true..? If it is then whats with the Copyright Term Extension Act that was heavily lobbied for by Disney who gave thousands to politicians Coble and Rep. Howard Berman (D-Calif.), a senior member of the Judiciary Committee.

Does Disney have the same trademark on Oswald? I would doubt it, did Universal? Maybe. But Diane Disney Miller said "Having Oswald around again is going to be a lot of fun." So, it looks like Oswald could appear somewhere for us the consumer. I wonder if Lasseter also wanted this as an available option for him to add to the Disney lineup... too much of a coincidence, am I just stretching it too far with that?
    I'll bet more heavily on a Leonard Maltin/Disney Treasures release for Oswald. But someone else had an idea about a slow release of Oswald shorts to help build an audience, much like Walt did with Pooh.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredByWalt
    I'll bet more heavily on a Leonard Maltin/Disney Treasures release for Oswald. But someone else had an idea about a slow release of Oswald shorts to help build an audience, much like Walt did with Pooh.
    How many shorts did Oswald make? I know he appeared in many comics, but how many shorts?

• Huh?

The big question is, is Mickey Mouse really a trademark? Trademarks are protected through proper maitenance of the trademark, so as long as you don't become negligent and let it go into generic terminology, it remains protected. Terms like fridge, kleenex, escalator, shredded wheat, zipper, yo-yo, etc. all started out as trademarked names. Coke is another that probably can't be trademarked anymore now that it's a generic term.

Look up Mickey Mouse in the dictionary:

Main Entry: Mickey Mouse
    Pronunciation: 'mi-kE-'maus
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Mickey Mouse, cartoon character created by Walt Disney
    1 often not capitalized : being or performing insipid or corny popular music
    2 : lacking importance : INSIGNIFICANT <Mickey Mouse courses, where you don't work too hard -- Willie Cager>
    3 : annoyingly petty <Mickey Mouse regulations>

See? It's a generic term now. Which means that Mickey Mouse can no longer be protected under trademark laws. Unfortunately, Trademarks only work as far as you can protect it, unlike copyrights -- most companies work overtime to preven this from happening to them. I can forsee a day when iPod becomes a term for any digital music player (just like walkman). Already, some people are calling their MP3 player an iPod, no matter who made it.

So, look at it like that -- Disney fought hard for the extension of copyrights so that they don't lose even more protection under law.
    -Tim

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    How many shorts did Oswald make? I know he appeared in many comics, but how many shorts?
    192, but only 26 were made by Disney, so Disney only owns 26 of them.
    -Tim

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast