• Will Watch The Olympics In Spite Of NBC Coverage

4 44.44%
  • Won't Watch As Much Because Of NBC Coverage

2 22.22%
  • Don't Care-Don't Know A Triple Lutz from An Al Lutz

1 11.11%

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

How Do You Feel About NBC Olympic Coverage?

Thread Title Should Be...How Do You Feel About NBC Olympic Coverage...sorry...

I know that in light of the Oswald for Al Michaels deal, we have warm and fuzzy feelings right now for NBC. But every two years when we have the Olympic games, I'm reminded of something. I really don't like the way they cover the Games.
    It's bad enough that with the time difference between here and Torino, everything's tape delayed on tv anyway (and then, of course, delayed three hours more for the West Coast).
    It's worse, of course, because of the way they can arrange the events to string you along for hours while filling time with features that go on forever. The network says they need those, for the audience that doesn't know a figure skating triple-lutz from an Al Lutz.
    I like Bob Costas and much of their crew there...but if it's like their past several presentations, I probably won't be watching that much.
    Wish I had one of those great big satellite dishes to pick up the Canadian Broadcasting Company...more event coverage, even LIVE as it happens sometimes (what a concept).
    Your thoughts -
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 02-10-2006 at 06:12 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: How Do You About NBC Olympic Coverage?

I will be watching despite the coverage.

It's kind of sad that I can read a story and see images on msNBC HOURS before I can actually watch it.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Tey delay it due to advertising $$$ and when they can get the greatest audience = more $$$.
    I don't care. If I want to know, I can look on the Internet. It's harder to try NOT to find out how copetition ends.

Besides... they're having 148 hours of coverage... MORE THAN 24 HOURS A DAY of coverage! Are they not showing ANY events live? I thought they usually showed some of the not as well known ones.

I also like the in depth and interviews they do. And I thought Bob and Brian (??) did fairly well last night. Better than a lot of comentators at other events.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Ive got the womens hockey game on now and it's live. It's only 7pm in Torino right now (10am PST).

So far so good. I appreciated the opening ceremonies broadcast last night because they didnt comment on every single little item. I think NBC is finally learning that the commentators really dont need to talk all the time.

Actually everything was fine until they brought that horse Mary Carillo on. Woman just needs to be sent to the glue factory! I swear she used to be a man.

• Gay Man

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    Actually everything was fine until they brought that horse Mary Carillo on. Woman just needs to be sent to the glue factory! I swear she used to be a man.
    LOL! The way she commented knowingly about the women carrying the flag made me blush.

I know that a friend was disappointed that Curling wasn't in high definition this time. It is a inside sport!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: How Do You Feel About NBC Olympic Coverage?

Hey I watched curling in 2002 and it was kinda fun! Saw biathalon too when I was there and would go see that again in a heartbeat! It was amazingly and surprisingly a lot of fun!

How long has NBC had olympic coverage in the US? I don't remember our coverage always sucking so much....or maybe I was just clueless back then...
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• Incognito

Blog Entries

NBC has had them quite a bit since 1988.

Seoul 1988
    Barcelona 1992
    Atlanta 1996
    and they have had and will have all the rights for the Games from 2000 until 2012.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    Wish I had one of those great big satellite dishes to pick up the Canadian Broadcasting Company...more event coverage, even LIVE as it happens sometimes (what a concept).
    Your thoughts -
    Just another great reason to be Canadian, eh?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I love curling as for the coverage, seeing as how my whole job is about getting the media to cover my athletes, you have to use human interest stories in order for many people to care, you can be the best in the world at what you do, but people won't care as much as they would if you're the best in the world and you have an interesting story.

Now speaking as a sports fan, I'd love just pure coverage of the events without the filler of the human interest stories, but then again I know the sports and know how talented the athletes are, unfortunately, as Radiobarry said, the people they're trying to get to watch don't know the difference between a triple lutz and Al Lutz (had to steal it, was too good ).

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888