Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Having a Grand Day!

Re: First Pixar, now Oswald, what's next in Igers magic bag of tricks?

ABC Makes Sense. Apple does not.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    Truly great start, Bob - - here are some more ideas:

Restart hand-drawn traditional animated features on an event basis?

Close ToonDisney Studios and stop the direct-to-video sequels?

Song of the South on DVD?

Disneyland/Wonderful World of Color etc full series on DVD?

A Disney Classics Channel (Vault Disney)?

Restoration of 1967 Tomorrowland?

Return of the Swiss Family Treehouse?

The Golden Horseshoe Revue and Polynesian Revue?

Purchase the early Disney song publishing catalog from Irving Berlin/Bourne?

Settle/purchase the rights for Mouseketeers, Zorro, Mary Poppins, Roger Rabbit, etc?

Purchase or trade non-core assets for other classic/complimentary family film libraries and cartoon characters, and other relevant intellectual property rights from other studios and rights holders?

Revamp DCA into something cool and escapist and relevant to Walt Disney?

Buy Apple?

Sell ABC and ESPN?

No more editing of classic films and cartoons - - and more accurate film restoration (not cheesy enhancement)?

Better looking merchandise?

New E-Ticket attractions that blow us away?
    Igner may not have stopped the Cheapquels, but I think I read somewhere that Lasseter said "no more" and theres only a couple more coming through after the recent Bambi II, only because they were too-far into production.

I dont agree with bringing back the Swiss Family Treehouse - its too late in the game for that... The generation the grew up with that film is getting old and the new kids probably could care less about it.

As for 67 Tomorrowland - how about we get a new, exciting version of the land instead of bringing back the old?

ABC isnt in last-place anymore and is doing pretty well. Certainly better than NBC has been lately. I dont think a sale of ABC is a good idea.

Buy Apple? No thanks. I think that the relationship with Steve Jobs is good enough. No need to have two Steve companies. Besides, I don't want to see iMickeys anytime soon.

Better merch! YES!
    New E-Tickets! YES PLEASE!
    Revamped DCA! YESSSS!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Minion

>>I dont agree with bringing back the Swiss Family Treehouse - its too late in the game for that... The generation the grew up with that film is getting old and the new kids probably could care less about it.<<

The big budget remake is currently in production.

>>As for 67 Tomorrowland - how about we get a new, exciting version of the land instead of bringing back the old?<<

Hasn't worked so far...

Thumbs up Re: First Pixar, now Oswald, what's next in Igers magic bag of tricks?

Merlin, you have some good suggestions.

Truly great start, Bob - - here are some more ideas:

Restart hand-drawn traditional animated features on an event basis?
    Absolutely. "The Wild" looks like a ripoff of "Madagascar," which I thoroughly disliked. I thoroughly enjoyed the traditionally-animated "Curious George," which IMO succeeded where every post-"Lilo and Stitch," non-Pixar Disney film has failed, in having genuine charm and heart, and non-snarkiness. I was worried it was going to be something more like "The Cat in the Hat" or "Garfield: The Movie", and I was relieved that it was not.

Close ToonDisney Studios and stop the direct-to-video sequels?
    I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Why not on Blu-Ray?

Disneyland/Wonderful World of Color etc full series on DVD?
    I'd kill for this.

A Disney Classics Channel (Vault Disney)?
    I'd kill not only for this, but to get it on my cable service on the startup date.

Purchase the early Disney song publishing catalog from Irving Berlin/Bourne?
    That makes good business sense. Of course, would they sell?

Purchase or trade non-core assets for other classic/complimentary family film libraries and cartoon characters, and other relevant intellectual property rights from other studios and rights holders?
    I'm not sure I like this idea. They need to concentrate on revitalizing the characters they already own.

Revamp DCA into something cool and escapist and relevant to Walt Disney?
    I was thinking they transform it into something set aside for Pixar and Muppets, but this would work too.

Buy Apple?
    I'm pretty torn on this one. It would not be a core business, but if Steve Jobs becomes more involved in Disney, it would take him away from this company.

Sell ABC and ESPN?
    Definitely.

No more editing of classic films and cartoons - - and more accurate film restoration (not cheesy enhancement)?
    They had a film restoration department, headed by Scott MacQueen who had an appreciation and respect for the library, but it was downsized.

Better looking merchandise?
    Yes. I would also want more stuff for collectors.

New E-Ticket attractions that blow us away?
    I'm always ready to be blown away.

Man does it feel good not to be complaining anymore.

• Minion

Some aquisitions that might make sense:

1) Lucasfilm/ILM: George is always reportedly ready to give-it-all-up - - why not bring Star Wars and Indy into the Disney family proper - and in time for Indy 4 and the Star Wars TV series too. These properties bridge a demographic gap in Disney's own library and their association with Disneyland has already set the logic.

2) The Rodgers and Hammerstein Company: Sound of Music, Cinderella, Oklahoma - - these evergreen show and scores (and remake rights) would be a huge asset to Disney and highly exploitable in the parks etc.

3) Zorro, Inc: Holders of the rights to Zorro (which once belonged to Walt Disney himself, but were ceded back to the author's family after Walt's death).

4) Pamela Travers Estate: WDC needs to pull a Pooh with the rights to Mary Poppins - - the Broadway show could then be retooled to closer resemble Walt's version of the story before it opened in the states, and the property could then be fuly exploited at the parks etc.

5) TimeWarner's Family Film and Cartoon Assets (aside from DC Comics and Looney Tunes - or include them if they were willing...): The Wizard of Oz, Willy Wonka, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Hanna-Barbera, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Tom & Jerry, Popeye, etc... With more Potters and The Hobbit still to be made, why not try?

6) Dr. Seuss Estate: Lots of material never yet made into film.

7) Children's Television Workshop: Brings the other faamous Muppets of Sesame Street into the family and provides a PC childrens content wing superior to those within the company and separate fromt he Disney brand.

8) Mattel

9) Apple

10) United Media: Peanuts

11) Evergreen movie properties from other studios that many people already think are Disney's (synergistic marketing and ancillaries):The Sound of Music, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Wizard of Oz, Willy Wonka, etc.

12) Six Flags

• Closed Account

Already set for a Q4 2006 release in the same style as the Disney Treasures discs with a lot of historical explanations about the background of the movie/story to try to diffuse some of the idiots who want to protest it.

•   
    • Minion

Some aquisitions that might make sense:

1) Lucasfilm/ILM: George is always reportedly ready to give-it-all-up - - why not bring Star Wars and Indy into the Disney family proper - and in time for Indy 4 and the Star Wars TV series too. These properties bridge a demographic gap in Disney's own library and their association with Disneyland has already set the logic.
    Not likely to happen... Unless of course Disney wants to remake Howard the Duck...

2) The Rodgers and Hammerstein Company: Sound of Music, Cinderella, Oklahoma - - these evergreen show and scores (and remake rights) would be a huge asset to Disney and highly exploitable in the parks etc.
    I don't think so, I know where you are going with this concept... It is just there are much better musicals and property out there...

3) Zorro, Inc: Holders of the rights to Zorro (which once belonged to Walt Disney himself, but were ceded back to the author's family after Walt's death).
    This actually it the one that makes the MOST sense... however they are trying to turn it into this franchise film series with Antonio Bandaras... I don't see them wanting to give it up soon...

4) Pamela Travers Estate: WDC needs to pull a Pooh with the rights to Mary Poppins - - the Broadway show could then be retooled to closer resemble Walt's version of the story before it opened in the states, and the property could then be fuly exploited at the parks etc.
    "No celibration at Disneyland will be complete without Mary Poppins" - Walt Disney.

5) TimeWarner's Family Film and Cartoon Assets (aside from DC Comics and Looney Tunes - or include them if they were willing...): The Wizard of Oz, Willy Wonka, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Hanna-Barbera, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Tom & Jerry, Popeye, etc... With more Potters and The Hobbit still to be made, why not try?
    Disney will never be able to aquire that much capital to purchase this material...

6) Dr. Seuss Estate: Lots of material never yet made into film.
    Well, you need to work the deal with Imagine Entertainment (Ron Howards production company) He is the one that is trusted with this material... Why not contract him to work on a film version of the Lorax.

7) Children's Television Workshop: Brings the other faamous Muppets of Sesame Street into the family and provides a PC childrens content wing superior to those within the company and separate fromt he Disney brand.
    Noooo. keep this PBS!!!! That kind of deal would make people MAD at Disney...

8) Mattel
    OK... That will make consumer products happy...

9) Apple
    Uh, in a word... No... If you want evidence why not, look at the Infoseek aquisition...

10) United Media: Peanuts
    In theory you already have distribution rites though ABC.

11) Evergreen movie properties from other studios that many people already think are Disney's (synergistic marketing and ancillaries):The Sound of Music, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Wizard of Oz, Willy Wonka, etc.
    see above...

12) Six Flags
    Six Flags already made an offer... Disney turned it down... Why aquire that much DEPT? I mean really... It would cost way too much...
    Check out my other blog:

• Where's my other cent?

Six Flags already made an offer... Disney turned it down... Why aquire that much DEPT? I mean really... It would cost way too much...
    Why acquire that much suckiness? Don't we usually spend our time talking about how, if not careful, the Disney theme parks could slip to Six Flags quality? Why spend the money to decrease quality within the Disney Parks?

For that matter, why are we discussing the purchase of old cartoon and film properties that have nothing to do with Disney? These were made at a time when Walt was alive, he was compeating with them, and choose not to make stuff like that. Why bring them into the fold now?

• Rock Star Minion

Re: selling of ABC/ESPN/Cap Cities:
    I've been behind this for quite some time. Now that it's doing better, it makes them all that much more valuable. That's how business works. And before The WB merged with The UPN, Time/Warner was the perfect company for Cap Cities. Big production company, big cable company, but without a major network (GE has Universal and NBC, Viacom has Paramount and CBS, Fox has 20th Century Fox and Fox).

Since Cap Cities really isn't part of Disney's core business --family entertainment and vacation destinations, in case that's not clear -- it should be sold with some caveats for giving Disney productions a good deal on network showings. Disney needs to put its family entertainment on network TV, but owning the network means having to show more adult-oriented programming from 9-11, plus hard news at 6, and Kimmel/formerly Politically Incorrect on late night. And sports have become not so family-oriented anymore, either (not that it ever was). Listen to a football telecast, and you'll hear at least one F-bomb per game from some player, picked up by a parabolic microphone, so we get the "sounds of the game."

Disney would "just" sell it. It could make about a billion dollars profit on the sale, which could be poured back into the core business.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Where's my other cent?

Yeah, I agree on the ABC/ESPN sale. I think the type of work that is created for these channels doesn't fit with Walt's vision for his company. Some might argue that the profits from such enterprises benefits the company as a whole, allowing for the creation of family-oriented material. But I think that as long as the sign out front says The Walt Disney Company, it needs to respect and reflect his philosophy.

Plus, I think the networks make Disney much too large. It's a huge media conglomerate mess that has a tendency to breed beuracracy. If the company is going to pursue a more creative direction in the future, I think it needs to trim down to focus on its core properties. It could be coincidence or not, but it is interesting to consider the creative direction that the company took after the purchase of ABC/Cap Cities.

• Minion

Here's a partnersip notion that intrigues me:

Mattel + Apple + Walt Disney Imagineering

Together these entities could reinvent the sagging toy business for a new century - - think of the unknown possibilites!

• Huh?

Hmm... New, harder to control iPotatohead Nano with Mouse Ears?
    -Tim

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by zach1
    Yeah, I agree on the ABC/ESPN sale. I think the type of work that is created for these channels doesn't fit with Walt's vision for his company. Some might argue that the profits from such enterprises benefits the company as a whole, allowing for the creation of family-oriented material. But I think that as long as the sign out front says The Walt Disney Company, it needs to respect and reflect his philosophy.
    I am not 100% convinced of this... I think ABC as a network, and particularly it's Cable network is bloated... (Like NBC as well) I don't think it really needs two family channels that essencially replay programming from ABC... NBC is haveing the same problem with it's news networks...

As far as fitting ABC into the model of Disney's company... I disagree... In fact ABC bought into Disney's company initially because they saw the value of parks and resourts and the film distribution 40 years before NBC/Universal and Viacom...

That is pretty forward thinking...

The problem right now is that the partnership is not as well integrated as it had been in the past, when the companies are separate...

Because of this, I think they should sell ABC Family channel consolidating their networks - I thought the deal for ABC-Family was a bigger mistake than aquiring Cap Cities... Even if they where trying to focus on grabing more of the Family programming market. Unfortunately it won't work, there is not enough money to try and corner that market...

ESPN corners the Sports Programming Market... There is no one that can match it, even though News Corp tries with Fox Sports Net... Getting rid of it, and it will adversely effect your net capitalization... I think it would risk stockholder withdrawl. And you don't want that to happen...
    Check out my other blog:

•   
    • Minion

Here's a partnersip notion that intrigues me:

Mattel + Apple + Walt Disney Imagineering

Together these entities could reinvent the sagging toy business for a new century - - think of the unknown possibilites!
    I don't know... I don't see it...

The best they would come up with is iFurbby...

There actually are BETTER partnerships out there... Like:

Apple + Parks and Resourts + Photo TLC
    Check out my other blog:

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte
    Already set for a Q4 2006 release in the same style as the Disney Treasures discs with a lot of historical explanations about the background of the movie/story to try to diffuse some of the idiots who want to protest it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast