Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• T'zambezi makes me sneezy

Re: First Pixar, now Oswald, what's next in Igers magic bag of tricks?

Restart hand-drawn traditional animated features on an event basis?

Close ToonDisney Studios and stop the direct-to-video sequels?

Song of the South on DVD?

Disneyland/Wonderful World of Color etc full series on DVD?

A Disney Classics Channel (Vault Disney)?

Restoration of 1967 Tomorrowland?

Return of the Swiss Family Treehouse?

The Golden Horseshoe Revue and Polynesian Revue?

Purchase the early Disney song publishing catalog from Irving Berlin/Bourne?

Settle/purchase the rights for Mouseketeers, Zorro, Mary Poppins, Roger Rabbit, etc?

Purchase or trade non-core assets for other classic/complimentary family film libraries and cartoon characters, and other relevant intellectual property rights from other studios and rights holders?

Revamp DCA into something cool and escapist and relevant to Walt Disney?

Buy Apple?

Sell ABC and ESPN?

No more editing of classic films and cartoons - - and more accurate film restoration (not cheesy enhancement)?

Better looking merchandise?

New E-Ticket attractions that blow us away?

Merlinjones, you are my hero.

Another one to add: animated musicals.

• Where's my other cent?

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    As far as fitting ABC into the model of Disney's company... I disagree... In fact ABC bought into Disney's company initially because they saw the value of parks and resourts and the film distribution 40 years before NBC/Universal and Viacom...

That is pretty forward thinking...
    You're suggesting that because the ABC of 1955 helped finance Walt's pet project that they can fit into the ABC of today can fit into the Disney model? The financing of DL was what it took to get Walt to make TV shows for them, which they thought would put money in their pockets. They were so "forward thinking" that they were all to happy to sell Walt their share back to him for what they thought was a steal (whoops).

I'm not denying that ABC has good product. I just don't think that it is Disney quality product. Do you think that Walt would have let his name be attached in anyway to Desperate Housewives?

Also, why is the Disney Company concerned with cornering the Sports Programming market?

• Having a Grand Day!

Media Networks is a core Buisness, along with Parks and Resorts, Consumer Products and Studio Entertainment.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    Truly great start, Bob - - here are some more ideas:

Song of the South on DVD?

Revamp DCA into something cool and escapist and relevant to Walt Disney?
    Merlin - Iger has proven he can pull a rabbit out his hat. But for those two items...he'll really need to be a magician around those Disney suits...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Minion

>>Merlinjones, you are my hero.

Another one to add: animated musicals.<<

Even better: hand drawn animated musical fairy tales in the tradition of the Walt Disney classics (Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretel, The Snow Queen, The Frog Prince, etc.) - - and whimsical musical cartoon fantasies in the tradition of Dumbo.

>>Merlin - Iger has proven he can pull a rabbit out his hat. But for those two items...he'll really need to be a magician around those Disney suits...<<

I believe in magic - - or at least the power of positive thinking to transform. Look at all that has happened already since Sauron was defeated...

• Minion

The Complete Walt Disney's Zorro on DVD too, please (78 half hours and 4 one hour originals and two compilation features)

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by zach1
    You're suggesting that because the ABC of 1955 helped finance Walt's pet project that they can fit into the ABC of today can fit into the Disney model? The financing of DL was what it took to get Walt to make TV shows for them, which they thought would put money in their pockets. They were so "forward thinking" that they were all to happy to sell Walt their share back to him for what they thought was a steal (whoops).
    Well, it is a bigger stretch when Disney bought the Angel's baseball team... Walt had a share in it... By this logic you might say that selling the baseball team was a bad idea...

Considering how much mileage ABC got out of Disney's Wonderfull World of Color? ABC promotion made the Walt Disney Company a media powerhouse...

I'm not denying that ABC has good product. I just don't think that it is Disney quality product. Do you think that Walt would have let his name be attached in anyway to Desperate Housewives?
    Wait... You want to pick nits... Do you think Walt would have let his name to over half the Feature Animation films in the last twenty years or expansion of Parks and Resorts? Come on!

You know what really gets me, and I know this may be sacralige to state... BUT, on the Disneyland USA DVD... I am shocked and appauled by the way Walt treated Miss Disneyland Tencentanial... I mean really, he belittled her in front of her... On national TV...

Walt is not a saint... But he was a man of his times... If he did that today, he would be headed to court at the end of a NASTY lawsuit.

Also, why is the Disney Company concerned with cornering the Sports Programming market?
    Because they can, and it came as part of the package for ABC which is what they really wanted...

Sports figgures are roll models for kids... I can't tell you how many times I played street football and took on the personality of a sports figgure... Or street basketball... Or runner... Or other type of athlete... I can justify ESPN...

Why do you think Roy bought the Harlem Globetrotters? Why did Walt have a stake in the Anahiem Angels? What about the Mighty Ducks which will be forever tied to Disney? They obviously are all examples of Disney in sports entertainment as well as it's impact on kids...
    Check out my other blog:

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    Media Networks is a core Business, along with Parks and Resorts, Consumer Products, and Studio Entertainment.
    It shouldn't be, since the name (brand?) "Disney" means "family entertainment" to the consumers that buy the products. It's one thing to have a media outlet that provides family entertainment, but it's another when that media outlet has to compete with other networks that don't have the name "Disney" attached to them. That's what ABC has to do, and that's why D.H., Grey's Anatomy, Lost, etc., have to be on Disney's ABC Network. Not saying they're bad shows. But there's an asset to protect.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Sports figures are role models for kids
    There are plenty that are not, though. And it's hard to keep these images squeaky clean, since they're merely humans, not characters created for the express purpose of entertaining children.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    It shouldn't be, since the name (brand?) "Disney" means "family entertainment" to the consumers that buy the products. It's one thing to have a media outlet that provides family entertainment, but it's another when that media outlet has to compete with other networks that don't have the name "Disney" attached to them. That's what ABC has to do, and that's why D.H., Grey's Anatomy, Lost, etc., have to be on Disney's ABC Network. Not saying they're bad shows. But there's an asset to protect.
    I can't think of any show that really is "Disney" as Dancing with the Stars...

And what we need to remind ourselves is that ABC has as much brand recognition as Disney... Particularly in NEWS and Sports programming.
    Check out my other blog:

• Rock Star Minion

And what we need to remind ourselves is that ABC has as much brand recognition as Disney... Particularly in NEWS and Sports programming.
    That makes it all the more valuable to someone else.
    Again, I'm not advocating its sale at a loss, or "by any means necessary." Disney is doing a good job right now with running the networks. And since it's not all that integrated into the other parts of the company, not so much that it can't be pried apart, it seems a natural to try to sell it to get shareholder value. This will work a lot better for shareholders than the proposed Time/Warner split-up. However, if Time Warner is split up, Cap Cities might be even more desirable to them.
    And do note that Comcast was looking at this part of Disney as the major asset a few years ago. Comcast might still like having a network. It certainly would like owning the ESPN franchise instead of having to pay a company for it. And, bonus, making other cable companies pay for ESPN!

It was ABC's turn to do well. No, I'm not giving too much credit to individuals at ABC. Just a basic cycle that I've seen since watching TV and the business of TV for 40 years or so. When a network sinks, desperation sets in. Risky show ideas come in from who-knows-where. Higher ranked networks tend not to take risks. No need to. They already have established shows. Ironic that they are better able to handle the risk, but no matter. Sinking networks latch on to risky shows, and a few of them actually catch an audience. This pulls them back up, gives them hip and edgy cred, and they go with it. Until they reach a comfort stage.

• Where's my other cent?

My opinion is simply that the ownership of the networks leaves the company spread to thin. If Disney is supposed to be a family entertainment company then that's what they should focus on creating. But by owning the network, they have to spend substancial time and energy in developing non-family oriented programing. I think that this detracts from the objective of the company as a whole. By selling the company, they could focus on producing family-friendly material for television, and not be bothered by the more adult stuff.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    That makes it all the more valuable to someone else.
    Again, I'm not advocating its sale at a loss, or "by any means necessary." Disney is doing a good job right now with running the networks. And since it's not all that integrated into the other parts of the company, not so much that it can't be pried apart, it seems a natural to try to sell it to get shareholder value. This will work a lot better for shareholders than the proposed Time/Warner split-up. However, if Time Warner is split up, Cap Cities might be even more desirable to them.
    I think I and other shareholders would be more comfortable with this once Disney is "firing on all cylanders" which right now it is not... If anything your proposal suggests that Disney work on it's movie studios...
    Check out my other blog:

• T'zambezi makes me sneezy

Even better: hand drawn animated musical fairy tales in the tradition of the Walt Disney classics (Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretel, The Snow Queen, The Frog Prince, etc.) - - and whimsical musical cartoon fantasies in the tradition of Dumbo.
    Brownie points! I'm thinking, "The 12 Dancing Princesses." Ooo, I would kill to board that one.
    Rumor: since the Pixar/Disney meld, "Rapunzel Unbraided" has changed gears--not like "Shrek" anymore, it's back to Glen Keane's original idea of a classic fairy tale.

...they could focus on producing family-friendly material for television, and not be bothered by the more adult stuff.
    'Strue. Which is what they jolly well ought to be focusing on.

• Rock Star Minion

I think I and other shareholders would be more comfortable with this once Disney is "firing on all cylanders" which right now it is not... If anything your proposal suggests that Disney work on it's movie studios...
    What do you think the money from the sale will be spent on?
    I do agree that getting more quality out of the studios might need to be achieved first, so there's not that, "Now what do we do?" delay.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast