Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Re: First Pixar, now Oswald, what's next in Igers magic bag of tricks?

Quote Originally Posted by zach1
    By selling the company, they could focus on producing family-friendly material for television, and not be bothered by the more adult stuff.
    To be honest, I still don't see a conflict here... I think you can have the best of both worlds in one company, really...

That doesn't mean I don't think ABC under Disney shouldn't be paired down... ABC Family should be sold, there is no question in my mind that it should happen... Disney Channel should be reformated back to fit the family market from where it is now trying to hit the "tweens"..

Again, Disney should launch a Vault Disney Channel, showing classic films...

This kind of expansion is organic...

ABC should stay... Because again, I see it as organic...

ESPN is an appendage that only helps right now... And again, I don't see any good reason to sell it off, yet... Particularly if it helps level off the cash flow due to issues within the Movie Studio... And so far, Iger hasn't proven to me that he can run Touchstone or Miramax with any level of competancy... (It doesn't mean he is incopetent, because he has made some good moves recently - it is just the work here is incomplete without dealing with these other issues.)

ABC Family looks organic on paper, however because it comes with baggage that is inorganic... I think the property should be dropped like a hot potato...

Sigh, I am not changing my mind here...
    Check out my other blog:

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    To be honest, I still don't see a conflict here... I think you can have the best of both worlds in one company, really...

Sigh, I am not changing my mind here...
    And I'm not changing yours, and you're not changing mine. (That is a conflict, but resolution need not have to exist.)
    My concern is that whenever Disney is associated with something "not for children," it always bites them in the publicity. It's as if a pixie dies, one less child believing in the magic when their parent decides that the whole company will not get their business. Nearly all of Miramax was like this. It hurts the Disney asset. Now, if the Disney asset needs updating, then all things made with the prior image in mind get dated. Like, oh, Disneyland, for example.

Tell you what, there is a price for Cap Cities that is too high to resist, and there is a price that is too low to even look at. We might differ on the high end.

Now, what were to happen to Robertson's TV show if ABC Family simply ceased to exist? (On the likelihood that no one will buy it for the price of the cost of the lawyers and bankers to iron out the deal.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I think the selling of ABC/ESPN is a bad idea. I know I'm new here, but I have read a lot about Walt Disney and the way he was an innovator on a lot of fronts. Something Walt couldn't have predicted is how the world had become an all encompassing media frenzy. By keeping ABC, which is slowly regaining its respect within the industry as a network and ESPN which will not for many years in my opinion relinquish the number one sports network spot. Disney creates holds on various ends of the spectrum that allows its "non-core" assets to keep making money for the company. I agree that selling ABC Family is a great idea or possibly converting the network into a "Vault Disney" Type of network. But in the world we live in now, a company like Disney that doesn't expand its reach into other areas leaves itself open for someone to come on in and buy it off for the name and library.

Iger has bought himself a little leeway with me to see what he has planned. If he puts good people in place to do the job at each of the department heads (i.e. Lassiter heading up an area where he has the respect of his peers and a track record of success) then he can be focused on running the big picture. This is what a typical CEO should do and a direct departure from Eisner's "hands on" approach. If good people ar put in charge of ABC and ESPN and left alone to run the networks then there is no reason to think that these two branches of The Walt Disney Company won't be profitable for years to come.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    And I'm not changing yours, and you're not changing mine. (That is a conflict, but resolution need not have to exist.)
    My concern is that whenever Disney is associated with something "not for children," it always bites them in the publicity. It's as if a pixie dies, one less child believing in the magic when their parent decides that the whole company will not get their business. Nearly all of Miramax was like this. It hurts the Disney asset. Now, if the Disney asset needs updating, then all things made with the prior image in mind get dated. Like, oh, Disneyland, for example.
    But here is the thing, Sediment, (and it is respectfully submitted) it was the adult fair out of the movie studio that rocketed Disney into a media power house... I mean yeah, Down and Out in Beverley Hills did raise eye brows at it's time... But you know, I don't think Miramax or Touchstone producing hit movies really was a drag on Disney's image...

By doubling and tripling output, Disney was able to increase the capital, decreasing risk and it was reflected in double digit growth... It made the stock a real powerhouse on the Dow...

So I am not certain that such a divestment is a good idea at this time... It would decrease capitalization and actually have an adverse effect on Stockholder Value...
    Check out my other blog:

The DCA "remake" WILL , I think, be announced before, or at, the end of the 50th.

And I think that will be Iger's (although it will be spearheaded by John) next big move.

So I am not certain that such a divestment is a good idea at this time... It would decrease capitalization and actually have an adverse effect on Stockholder Value...

I agree with Cellarhound in the fact that its not 1955 anymore. With Disney publically owned by stockholders, the company MUST listen to the stockholders ( it took them a while with Eisner but it was still stockholders that made the regime change possible) A sale of ABC and ESPN would weaken the company in the eyes of the global public, lowering the stock and value of the company and making it increasingly difficult if not impossible to strengthen the core assets - the parks and revitilize the animation unit.

• Where's my other cent?

1955 may have been a long time ago, but 1994 wasn't. The company was performing solidly before the ABC/Cap Cities acquisition, so why couldn't it do so now?

I'm actually serious about this question, not just trying to cause trouble. I would appreciate a little education.

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

1955 may have been a long time ago, but 1994 wasn't. The company was performing solidly before the ABC/Cap Cities acquisition, so why couldn't it do so now?

I'm actually serious about this question, not just trying to cause trouble. I would appreciate a little education.
    ESPN has evolved into a HUGE revenue generator for Disney. It's a behemoth. If fact, it's hard to overstate just how important ESPN is to the company. Remember that Disney basically holds every cable operator hostage by charging high fees just to give them the right to carry ESPN and offer it to cable customers. They can get away from this because cable operators know that ESPN is one of the main draws for customers. So everybody who orders cable and receives ESPN is paying an extra $2 or so on their bill every month that gets passed onto Disney. The revenue from ESPN makes the money that comes in from other segments of the company look like chump change.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

•   
    • Minion

You also have to understand that ABC/Cap Cities was in trouble when it was sold... And had been for sometime... In fact most people suggest that the deal was more a "bailout" by Disney that had content invested in the company... I believe the idea was as I recall to purchase it and use it as a distribution medium for Disney-Touchstone Content...

So of course there was a bitter pill to swallow, and it took time because quite frankly Eisner didn't know how to run a TV Network (DUH!!!) which is not a Movie Studio/Film Distribution... (Not that Eisner's Doctrine of the film industry is spectacular... If you ever forget when this was the case just remember the Alamo....)
    Check out my other blog:

If you ever forget when this was the case just remember the Alamo....)
    Hey, I actually liked the "The Alamo"!
    --John Lasseter

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Doopey1
    Hey, I actually liked the "The Alamo"!
    I did too, in fact I would love to see a new Davey Crocket series with Billy Bob Thornton... It would be AWSOME...

But, seriously... the film wasn't successful... Neither was Hildago... Around the World in 80 Days... All films that I actually liked... but didn't do well...
    Check out my other blog:

I know in some of these posts I sound like a real apologist for the movie studio, and I really don't mean to be, but may I offer some thoughts?

The Alamo was unquestionably a flop, I agree. But wouldn't it have been a bigger flop had the Ron Howard/Russell Crow version gone forward, with an R rating, with a bigger budget, and with a rich profit participation deal for Howard, Crow and producer Brian Grazer???

80 Days - a clear flop, and in my view poorly conceived and executed at every level.

Hidalgo -- made a decent $67 million domestic, but the cost was reportedly $100 million, which just befuddles me. Who thought that kind of a budget was a good idea? Who thought this would be a huge blockbuster? I'd be curious to know how it performed on video.
    --John Lasseter

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Doopey1
    The Alamo was unquestionably a flop, I agree. But wouldn't it have been a bigger flop had the Ron Howard/Russell Crow version gone forward, with an R rating, with a bigger budget, and with a rich profit participation deal for Howard, Crow and producer Brian Grazer???
    I don't think we will ever really know...

But, to be honest, I am uncertain the project should have been made at this point in history... I think it would have been better to do a bio pick of Davey Crocket with Billy Bob Thornton or Russel Crow or how ever...

The politics of interculturalism verses the politics of 9/11 really grated against eachother in that film... Making it at times difficult to watch...

80 Days - a clear flop, and in my view poorly conceived and executed at every level.
    I have since watched the movie a couple of times now... I didn't think it was a bad film with (the exception of having the Governator camio which I think was bad politics)... The critics didn't diss it too bad either as I recall... Which makes my stomach turn just watching it... Still, it was over budget for what it was, and I think the marketing strategy was bad because it was placed against some other films that where beuhemoths...

Hidalgo -- made a decent $67 million domestic, but the cost was reportedly $100 million, which just befuddles me. Who thought that kind of a budget was a good idea? Who thought this would be a huge blockbuster? I'd be curious to know how it performed on video.
    Again, it was way over budget for what it was... But I didn't think it was a bad film... But again the politics of the Iraq war did get in the way of the film...
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

Thank god that the sales of direct-to-video sequals have dropped off. I think this will be a contributing factor to persuading the execs to shut down the Disney Toon productions. [smilie=1,22,34]

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey
    Thank god that the sales of direct-to-video sequals have dropped off. I think this will be a contributing factor to persuading the execs to shut down the Disney Toon productions. [smilie=1,22,34]
    Have they?

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20137
    Check out my other blog:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast