Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Minion

Re: First Pixar, now Oswald, what's next in Igers magic bag of tricks?

>>Thank god that the sales of direct-to-video sequals have dropped off. I think this will be a contributing factor to persuading the execs to shut down the Disney Toon productions. <<

Stopping this product line should be Iger and Lasseter's number one agenda item -- these things severely and negatively impact public perception. And the ones that have already been made need to be taken off the market and vaulted indefinitely.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 02-15-2006 at 02:27 PM.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    >>Thank god that the sales of direct-to-video sequals have dropped off. I think this will be a contributing factor to persuading the execs to shut down the Disney Toon productions. <<

Stopping this product line should be Iger and Lasseter's number one agenda item -- these things severely and negatively impact public perception. And the ones that have already been made need to be taken off the market and vaulted indefinitely.
    But, according to some posters here, the public perception is not as important as the profit. Whether it be from poorly made cheap-quels or from family-unfriendly TV shows.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

>>But, according to some posters here, the public perception is not as important as the profit. Whether it be from poorly made cheap-quels or from family-unfriendly TV shows.<<

Bad public perception impacts profits -- it's a fact.

There is no reason a line of Disney direct-to-video product couldn't be good, creative, entertaining, funny, arty or even edutaining, even at the budget levels they have been using. They key is in the creativity, vision and crew - and selection of material.

Lazy and cheesy franchise extensions have to go.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Close ToonDisney Studios and stop the direct-to-video sequels?
    Now that's not fair to the people who work at DisneyToon. We know they can produce good TV fare when they want to, such as DuckTales, and L&S2 was actually a pretty good flick. It seems to be the DTV movies pumped out by the various studios underneath DisneyToon, such as Stitch the Movie and Hunchback II, that are terrible.

And Bambi II, well, supposedly the director made an honest attempt to try and keep the movie from getting that title because of the stigma the II carries, instead calling it something like "Bambi and the Great Prince of the Forest," but his efforts failed. It also is decent.

Restoration of 1967 Tomorrowland?
    Isn't that against the point of 1967 Tomorrowland, though? It's not longer Tomorrow.

Return of the Swiss Family Treehouse?
    Funny, I saw it last week at MK.

The Golden Horseshoe Revue and Polynesian Revue?
    Wally Boag is getting pretty old. Even I don't expect the old Golden Horseshoe show back soon. Maybe a return to the DL-style Tiki Room at WDW, though.

Buy Apple?

Sell ABC and ESPN?
    Remind me again how computers are more relevant to TWDC than television.

• Minion

>>Now that's not fair to the people who work at DisneyToon. <<

What's not fair to the people at DisneyToon is having to work another day under those managers.

>>Isn't that against the point of 1967 Tomorrowland, though? It's not longer Tomorrow.<<

That's funny - - we live in an ultramodern design utopia now? I missed that. 1967 Tomorrowland in concept is still an idealized future - and a more appealing one than Blade Runner/Alien apocalyptic doom or rusty poo relics of the even older Victorian era fururism or tacky glitter glitz. Give the people what they want: a combination of Jetsons/2001:A Space Oddyssey. These fantasy futures are still compelling - - and so Disneyland.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 02-15-2006 at 10:16 PM.

• Minion

>>Swiss Family Treehouse? - - Funny, I saw it last week at MK.<<

What Disneylander wants to go to Florida to see Walt's stuff?

Send WDW the Tarzan mannikins and give Walt's Treehouse trappings back to DL.

And while you're at it, send the Carousel of Progress back home too!

>>Wally Boag is getting pretty old. Even I don't expect the old Golden Horseshoe show back soon. <<

Hopefully the stale concept of political correctness will go away and the well-loved Can-Can girls can-can return to their saloon, regardless. Or are dancing girls and burlesque no longer relevant to the old west (and modern audiences)? ; )
    Last edited by merlinjones; 02-15-2006 at 10:21 PM.

• Minion

>>Remind me again how computers are more relevant to TWDC than television.<<

New media and technology is Bob's passion. Network television is a slowly dying dinosaur.

6) Dr. Seuss Estate: Lots of material never yet made into film.
    See, here's the thing: Dr. Seuss really didn't like commercializing his works. His widow, unfortunately, has not been keen on keeping to his wish, so I don't know what to say.

Secondly, Universal has theme park rights to the Seuss universe, so this buyout would be a nightmare of contracts and entanglements.

7) Children's Television Workshop: Brings the other faamous Muppets of Sesame Street into the family and provides a PC childrens content wing superior to those within the company and separate fromt he Disney brand.
    I believe this makes the Henson folks as well as the CTW folks very unhappy, as CTW is very tied up in public television and Henson wanted it that way. Disney, of course, would want to keep things exclusive to their channels, so it mean Iger would have to be actively cooperative instead of just buying cooperation like he has with Lasseter.

12) Six Flags
    LMAO.

Quote Originally Posted by zach1
    Some might argue that the profits from such enterprises benefits the company as a whole, allowing for the creation of family-oriented material. But I think that as long as the sign out front says The Walt Disney Company, it needs to respect and reflect his philosophy.
    This is what Card Walker tried, and it almost killed the company and has left Disney with a stigma that it's just for kids. Ron Miller very quickly created Touchstone Pictures before he was ousted by the first SaveDisney, and it literally saved the company. Disney cannot exist as a multinational, multi-industry megacorp making only family-friendly fare. There just isn't a large enough market to support itself.

Plus, ESPN and co keep the Disney company from easily being acquired by a Viacom or NBC Universal or Comcast or Rupert Murdoch or whoever. So long as they don't impact the Disney operations, I don't think they're a bad thing. If just holding onto them prevents Disney from being bought out and/or disassembled, then it's a worthwhile cost to protect the rest of the company.

What Disneylander wants to go to Florida to see Walt's stuff?
    Point is that they haven't ditched the Robinson theme in all the parks. Diversity helps make people want to see all the parks. Not that the Tarzan trappings are good, they're pretty bad, but I don't object to taking the Robinson theme out of one house and putting in another.

Disneyland is not a museum. While it's good that old good ideas are still allowed to thrive somewhere, we should not allow it to be forever peaked with the 1964 additions.

Hopefully the stale concept of political correctness will go away and the well-loved Can-Can girls can-can return to their saloon, regardless. Or are dancing girls and burlesque no longer relevant to the old west (and modern audiences)? ; )
    I thought this had more to do with all the actors getting old. Regardless, who comes to Disney for burlesque? WDW has PI and DL is a few hours from Vegas. Some ideas, while not bad, are simply redundant, which weakens their draw.

• Minion

>>Disneyland is not a museum. While it's good that old good ideas are still allowed to thrive somewhere, we should not allow it to be forever peaked with the 1964 additions.<<

Of all the parks, Disneyland itself should remain an homage to Walt Disney's own personal creativity as well as growing with exciting new ideas that compliment that. Swiss Family Robinson was and is an important and popular part of Walt's legacy - - why else would they be remaking it?

If any treehouse should be home to the Robinsons it should remain Disneyland's - - a swap with WDW's decor would be a good, relatively cost-effective solution. Most people I know prefer the Robinsons.

• Minion

>>Disneyland is not a museum. While it's good that old good ideas are still allowed to thrive somewhere, we should not allow it to be forever peaked with the 1964 additions.<<

Of all the parks, Disneyland itself should remain an homage to Walt Disney's own personal creativity as well as growing with exciting new ideas that compliment that. Swiss Family Robinson was and is an important and popular part of Walt's legacy - - why else would they be remaking it?

If any treehouse should be home to the Robinsons it should remain Disneyland's - - a swap with WDW's decor would be a good, relatively cost-effective solution. Most people I know prefer the Robinsons.
    I think both of you have a good point, and I think that is why I am very interested in what Diane Disney-Miller is planning with this Walt Disney Museum... Disney needs to find a better way at honoring the past AND looking forward to the future... (For example what if a virual "Innerspace" ride was recreated at this musium?)
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

Restoration of 1967 Tomorrowland?
    BOOOOO!! what kind of nonsense is this? TL 1967 was garbage aside from the Peoplemover and monorail. Bring on Tony Baxters proposed Tomorrowland 2055 concept! Think Progressive not Regressive.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345