Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Closed Account

First Pixar, now Oswald, what's next in Igers magic bag of tricks?

WestCot?

Really. What more can he do to blow us away? Iger truly is Bizarro Eisner!

• Huh?

Re: First Pixar, now Oswald, what's next in Igers magic bag of tricks?

Hmmm... maybe "Alice: The Movie."

-Tim

• They wanna know, HO!

He's going to feed and cloath the poor, solve the middle east problem, win against terrorism, and then single handedly send us back to the moon......

before lunch.

...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Minion

Truly great start, Bob - - here are some more ideas:

Restart hand-drawn traditional animated features on an event basis?

Close ToonDisney Studios and stop the direct-to-video sequels?

Song of the South on DVD?

Disneyland/Wonderful World of Color etc full series on DVD?

A Disney Classics Channel (Vault Disney)?

Restoration of 1967 Tomorrowland?

Return of the Swiss Family Treehouse?

The Golden Horseshoe Revue and Polynesian Revue?

Purchase the early Disney song publishing catalog from Irving Berlin/Bourne?

Settle/purchase the rights for Mouseketeers, Zorro, Mary Poppins, Roger Rabbit, etc?

Purchase or trade non-core assets for other classic/complimentary family film libraries and cartoon characters, and other relevant intellectual property rights from other studios and rights holders?

Revamp DCA into something cool and escapist and relevant to Walt Disney?

Buy Apple?

Sell ABC and ESPN?

No more editing of classic films and cartoons - - and more accurate film restoration (not cheesy enhancement)?

Better looking merchandise?

New E-Ticket attractions that blow us away?

• I'm your huckleberry.

Bizarro Eisner!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Huh?

I have to disagree with the move to close down ToonDisney.

Whyfor?

Well... I've been wanting a return to the shorts of old. I'm mad that theaters don't play shorts before the movies anymore!

Well, theaters like AMC do play videos and such before the movie. What if they were to play animated shorts instead of purely a bunch of commercials?

This would be where ToonDisney comes in -- reformat it as a studio to produce shorts for theaters, TV specials (holidays and such), and other smaller projects like that. No need to figure out how to make a movie now... shorter subjects that they're more capable of.
    -Tim

• Iron-Clad Allie

I think Iger's next trick will be to bring Walt's long rumored cryonically suspended body to Disneyland for all to see. This new attraction will be billed as Disney On Ice: A Magical Homecoming.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    Truly great start, Bob - - here are some more ideas:

Restart hand-drawn traditional animated features on an event basis?

Close ToonDisney Studios and stop the direct-to-video sequels?
    I think that is up to Lassiter really...

Song of the South on DVD?
    Funny, the morning radio show I listened to was talking about SOS recently... They are NOT affilated with Disney...

Disneyland/Wonderful World of Color etc full series on DVD?
    I wish...

A Disney Classics Channel (Vault Disney)?
    This should be a "no duh" kind of thing...

Restoration of 1967 Tomorrowland?
    Again, it is up to lasseter, who may go retro on somethings... But I doubt there will be a Full Restoration...

Return of the Swiss Family Treehouse?
    Likely won't happen...

The Golden Horseshoe Revue and Polynesian Revue?
    Again, this should be a no duh... Bring Fire Dancer's back...

Purchase the early Disney song publishing catalog from Irving Berlin/Bourne?
    Good idea.

Settle/purchase the rights for Mouseketeers, Zorro, Mary Poppins, Roger Rabbit, etc?
    In the words of Walt... "From now on, no Disney Celibration will be complete without Mary Poppins." Wow, how soon we forget...

Purchase or trade non-core assets for other classic/complimentary family film libraries and cartoon characters, and other relevant intellectual property rights from other studios and rights holders?
    I think this should be done ONLY if they relate to Disney...

Revamp DCA into something cool and escapist and relevant to Walt Disney?
    Again this is up to Lassiter and Rasselo to work out...

Buy Apple?
    Not going to happen...

Sell ABC and ESPN?
    Not going to happen however, they should umload of ABC Family.

No more editing of classic films and cartoons - - and more accurate film restoration (not cheesy enhancement)?
    Up to Lassiter and Cook. - Not a bad idea really... To have a film restoration unit...

Better looking merchandise?
    Again I think this will happen with Lassiter around...

New E-Ticket attractions that blow us away?
    Again, I think it will be Lassiter's terratory...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Take a week off. Travel somewhere warm and relaxing where you can spend a lot of time lounging by the pool or on the beach. Take "Walt Disney, An American Original" by Bob Thomas. Spend the first three or four days reading (or... hopefully re-reading) it. Spend the rest of your time thinking about what you've just read.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Minion

>>This would be where ToonDisney comes in -- reformat it as a studio to produce shorts for theaters, TV specials (holidays and such), and other smaller projects like that. No need to figure out how to make a movie now... shorter subjects that they're more capable of.<<

Right idea - wrong people. Current ToonDisney management is incapable of conceiving cartoons in the tradition of Walt Disney or dealing with artists in a respectful way. Easier to start from scratch and press reset - but in terms of the product pipeline and type of product I agree with you in concept.

• Minion

>>Purchase or trade non-core assets for other classic/complimentary family film libraries and cartoon characters, and other relevant intellectual property rights from other studios and rights holders?<<

<<I think this should be done ONLY if they relate to Disney...>>

Yes, but just think what Disney could do with Time-Warner's family film/cartoon assets... Even if you excluded WB's signature DC Comics and Looney Tunes characters from the deal, think of the possibilities if The Wizard of Oz, Willy Wonka, Harry Potter, Hanna-Barbera, Cartoon Network, Popeye, Tom & Jerry et al became part of the Disney family of properties - - totally complimentary and would enhance so many other things and stretch demos (as well as the value of the content itself by marrying it with synergistic marketing opportunities).

I mean, TW hardly uses most of this stuff at all...

If I were Bob, I'd think about how my piecmeal cable properties and news operation might be worth more to Time-Warner than they are to Disney, and how much more their family properties would be worth to Disney than to them... (same with the other studios - - wouldn't The Sound of Music have more value to Disney than Fox, for example? Why not even buy the Rogers & Hammerstein estate outright? Or Six Flags?).

The Oswald deal shows a new way to think - - cherry picking properties to compliment libraries. If the future is all about content and intellectual property, now is the time to go for this stuff that has proven longterm value...

Even the sale-of-ABC-radio-while-buying-Pixar concept shows this type of thinking. Just pie-in-the-sky thinking, but there could be very real advantages longterm to this type of creative rebuilding that plays to the core of Disney's "brand".

Keep going, Bob, keep thinking big.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 02-11-2006 at 10:36 AM.

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

I mean, TW hardly uses most of this stuff at all...
    Are you crazy? TimeWarner would never part with any of these properties. Harry Potter is the crown jewel of their movie studio right now and they still have three more films to produce. Wizard of Oz is an evergreen product for them, note the fancy new DVDs that were released last year. And the new Tim Burton Wonka film was VERY successful for them. Likewise, Cartoon Network, which is somewhat centered around the Hanna-Barbera properties, is a very successful product for them.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    Buy Apple?
    Might happen sooner than you think . . . kind of. Disney could be making a play for iTunes.

Check out the latest from the rumor mill:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...628#post476628

• Minion

>>Are you crazy? TimeWarner would never part with any of these properties. Harry Potter is the crown jewel of their movie studio right now and they still have three more films to produce. Wizard of Oz is an evergreen product for them, note the fancy new DVDs that were released last year. And the new Tim Burton Wonka film was VERY successful for them. Likewise, Cartoon Network, which is somewhat centered around the Hanna-Barbera properties, is a very successful product for them.<<

Sure these are obviously valuable things, but so is ABC and ESPN - - would Time-Warner rather have ESPN or ABC or ABC News to compliment their cable portfolio and/or CNN than Oz and Scooby and Harry? Maybe not. But you don't know until you ask the question...

Think about the greater value for Oz and Hogwarts and the Chocolate Factory and Bedrock and Skypad Apartments and Corspe Bride spirit world at the Disney theme parks... they will never be used that way at TW. And think of value of ESPN/ABC packaged with CNN on Warner's cable systems and in their magazines - Disney can't do that either.

Surely, last week you would have said the same about trading a current ESPN star for a faded silent-screen cartoon like Oswald...

That's what I like about Bob - - he's not using "common wisdom" or status quo lately - - he's thinking differently - - a tactic worthy of Disney and Apple.

Crazy is cool. It's all in the POV. Anything is possible.

• They wanna know, HO!

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim
    Might happen sooner than you think . . . kind of. Disney could be making a play for iTunes.

Check out the latest from the rumor mill:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...628#post476628
    Apple is worth more on the stocker market than Dell, I doubt that Disney would EVER buy Apple, as it would be pointless. There is not ONE good reason for Disney to buy them.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast