Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

The Official 2006 Winter Olympic Thread-

OK- Opening Ceremonies- Some call it Art, some call it Italy, I call it Freakshow. And what was up with that Music during the Parade of Nations? In 2002 John Williams composed a wonderful score to walk the atletes in. In 2006 it sounded like the musical director at the last minute raided a gay bar and stole the Juke Box. Disco and 80's pop hits?

Let the Games Begin..... GO USA!
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Re: The Official 2006 Winter Olympic Thread-

I'm on the fence about how the opening ceremoneis have gone. Some of the time, I thought it was really pretty and very well choreographed (like the mass of people forming the skiier and the acrobatics from what became the olympic rings), but other times, I was just plain laughing! (like the part that was supposed to represent the "future" and the choreogropher stipping down into what seemed to be a suit of arteries?) either way....go USA!!!

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Some parts were indeed beautiful. You would think with the History of Italy, they could have done some amazing things! I guess they had to make a run at "Outweirding" Albertville Frances bizzarre ceremonies of '92.

Susan Sarandon? Great Actress, but what does she have to do with the Olympics?

And YOKO ONO?...MY EYES!! MY EYES!! MY EARS!! MY EARS!!!
    Last edited by PanTheMan; 02-10-2006 at 11:54 PM.

• For old time sake

No one will ever be happy with Opening Ceremonies because it is different from what we call "good" However.....try and top THAt torch lighting. That was awesome.

I wondered too what was the deal with the artery guy???? What did he represent? Susan Sarandon??? Huh???

Be still my heart...Pavarotti!!!!!
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

That lighting was pretty awesome, but still my Favorite is the Barcelona '92 Summer Arrow shot.

And Yes, Pavarotti.... Simply Amazing.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneykat
    No one will ever be happy with Opening Ceremonies because it is different from what we call "good" However.....try and top THAt torch lighting. That was awesome.
    Yes it was, but it was no match for my favorite Opening Ceremony. I realize we're talking Winter Games here, and being there versus watching on tv, but I was at the Coliseum for the 1984 Summer Games ceremony. The first cross-country torch run...finished off by Rafer Johnson. Now THAT was awesome.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Why do you keep talking?

I don't like Opera so meh to pavarotti, however I did like the very begginning with all the fire, and the part's that MissC also liked. AND I do agree with DisneyKat, that was a great lighting!
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Not as good as SLC but better than Nagano.

The gymnast guy hitting the anvil was hot, as long as he kept his face mask on.

Cool inline skaters with flames shooting out of their heads.

Parade of Nations music was an odd choice but fun.

Didnt care for Susan Sarandon as our representative. Shoulda been someone like Maya Angelou or someone like that.

Disappointed they didnt actually sing the Olympic anthem.

Unhappy with the torch lighting. Sorry, I'm somewhat a traditionalist. I have issues with the torch being lit by fireworks. To me the flame should either actually touch the cauldron or something should shoot into it with the flame (a-la the arrow in Barcelona or the flying lit Kleenex in Atlanta).

Pavarotti was cool, would have been really awesome to have him sing something while the torch was lit.

Loved the fireworks that went around the perimeter of the roof of the stadium in a spiraling motion.

So, the Games have begun. Yay!!!!

• For old time sake

Yes the arrow was my absolute favorite, but the only thing I didn't like was the timing was way off. I barely remember the 1984 Summer Ceremonies!!!! How sad is that but I remember how excited everyone was that Johnson lit the torch. Even my fiance, who is a HUGE Olympic geek (Had it not been for an injury he probably would have gone to Atlanta to play soccer for Malaysia), gets excited when you mention the 84 Summer games.
    Katie
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Also, LOVED the cows whizzing around the stage and the trees dancing around, I was CRACKING UP!!!

Thought the placard holders mountain dresses were whimsical, kinda like wearing a model of the Matterhorn! And did ya notice they had little skier figurines on them? FUNNY!

Loved the Ferrari portion but they should have had maybe a couple zipping around the stage.

Cool "dove" portion.

Lots of shots of Jeremy Bloom (swoon).

• Infinitized!

If you think these were wierd, I wonder what they will do for the games here in 2010. The opening ceremonies will be the first indoor ceremonies. They are going to be held at BC Place Stadium. BC Place has a cloth roof so I don't know how much pyro technics they are planning to use or where they are going to place the flame cauldron. There was a rumour that they may take the roof off for the Olympics but I think they'll keep it on - you never know when it will rain in Vancouver.

I bet $20 on Gretzky and team Canada!

• For old time sake

Jeremy Bloom, is he the speed skater? They showed a speed skater with Derek Parra and for some weird reason i find Derek Parra attractive.

I want to be one of the acrobats who formed the dove. They should make that an Olympic short. That was awesome.

The placecard holders needed to be taught how to walk in a hoop skirt though LOL. Didn't notice the design oin the dress. That is cool. I am sorry i missed the downhill skier formation. From what Derek told me (He watched streaming video online from China) it was really cool. What was with the camouflage things?
    Last edited by Disneykat; 02-11-2006 at 12:21 AM.
    Katie
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• GO DBACKS!!

Susan Sarandon touching the official Olympic flag, makes no sense!!!!???? Helloooooo, She's not THAT special people.

Loved Pavaroti. Also loved those guys on strings when they formed the dove.

But the 1984 opening ceremonies are my favorite as well. Maybe because I was also there, makes a bigger impression in person. My best friend was the placard carrier for the nation of Ghana.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• Why do you keep talking?

heheh the 84 olympics were on before I was born!

and you can't go wrong with Jeremy Bloom
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Gay Man

As a person whose favorite Winter openng was Lillihammer and 2nd was Albertville, I liked these. I'm happy MANY parts of Italy's great culture was represented down to a famous contemporary dancer and Nino Rota music from a Felinni film. Oh, and Botticelli rocks!

I even loved the cows - but I spend lots of time yelling "hi cow" out the window in the Alps.

The Standard bearer dresses were WONDERFUL! I want one! Actual miniature Alps. Amazing and creative.

And, GREAT women carrying the flag. Sophia Loren is a GODDESS. Susan Sarandon is too.

It didn't seem to come together as well as a whole as some others, but they are always a bit choppy.

I always learn something new about the host country with the ceremonies and I love that.

On to sport and gravity!

Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast