• Former Epcot CM

PotC: Magic Kingdom 2 Movies

I've just ordered Pirates of the Caribbean: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies, by Imagineer author Jason Surrell. I'm a bit gutted that I could have a signed copy in my hands right now if I had been at the Magic Kingdom instead of Epcot in October, but anyhow, I wouldn't have sold it on eBay anyway.

I was looking at it's sister book The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies, at the coffee shop (I think its called Writers Stop, or Writers Block, something 'clever' like that) at the Disney-MGM Studios in October, but somehow I didn't buy it. I couldn't figure that one out, cos I prefer the Haunted Mansion attraction to the PotC attraction (possibly because I have never experienced anything other than the Magic Kingdom versions) yet I can't stand The Haunted Mansion movie, whereas I am obsessive over the PotC movies.

Anyway, I suppose the HM book didn't appeal as much. Has anyone else ordered/got the PotC book? What do you think of it? If not, are you going to buy it?
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Minion

Re: PotC: Magic Kingdom 2 Movies

Oh, the Mansion book is great, it focuses more on the attractions then the movie and the movie section itself has some great concept art. I hear Pirates is really detailed as well and Surrell is now working on a book about all the mountains and eventually, the Lucasfilm collaborations
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

• Huh?

Bad mistake.... the HM book only has about 5-10 pages based on the movie. Pretty much, just a quick overview of the "upcoming" movie. Definately one of my favorite books!
    -Tim

I have the PotC book, and it is fantastic! I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in the history of the ride. The section of the book about the movie is shorter, but that was fine with me. I'll take the ride over the movie any day!

I don't have the Haunted Mansion book yet - need to pick it up on my next trip. And all this time I thought the book was only about the crappy Eddie Murphy movie!

I've got The Haunted Mansion book, because HM is my favourite ride at Disneyland, but I too can't stand the movie (I know this is OT, but if you want to see a better film that could easily have been the Haunted Mansion movie then I would recomend a film called "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" starring the late great Don Knotts). I've actually never been on the PotC ride (always closed whenever I'm there) but I love the movie! I really want to get it, but I'm it's been a major pain trying to find a copy. I think I'll pick it up next time I go to the DLR (hopefully in August, for the first time in almost 7 years) or maybe I'll finally order it from Chapters.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    Bad mistake.... the HM book only has about 5-10 pages based on the movie. Pretty much, just a quick overview of the "upcoming" movie. Definately one of my favorite books!
    Ooh, thanks for that.

I've been on the fence about that book for months, and knowing that the film is only covered in part is a big help. Cheers!

I only bought the Haunted M DVD for that DVD-ROM video covering the history of the attraction (and that WAS really good). OK, I'll admit I kind of liked the movie, but I was in a good mood at the time! Honest!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

I have both the "Haunted Mansion" book and the "Pirates" book. They're both spectacular, well written, and loaded with concept art of the attractions. I'm especially fond of the chapters in both books that explain the layout and execution of the rides scene by scene and the differences that the attractions have in the various Disneylands around the world.

Hey... since they're on a roll with this.. how's about a book for Country Bear Jamboree? Terrible film.. but also one based on an attraction.... and since the books largely cover the attractions it would be nice to have a full book about the evolution of the Country Bears...