Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PSP Release...

• Reaver of Souls

PSP Release...

Yep, it's out. I have mine beside me as we speak. I think now, more than ever, that this little beauty will BURY the DS... It's an elegant design (albeit not as comfortable as a controller, and I still don't know that I like the joystick...), the screen is absolutely flawless, and the gameplay is fantastic, even for first wave titles.

The lack of ability to burn on to blank UMDs is still a huge issue to me, and one that I know will be remedied eventually, I just don't like the idea of laying down $150 for a 1GB MS Duo to save movies on... We'll see.

But three local stores here in the Anaheim/Placentia area are sold out as of now, 9:18 am... If you don't have yours now, be prepaired to wait...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Senior Minion

What does it have that some people are raving about?
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries
    Reaver, do you know if it has an address book feature? That is the one thing my brother said would be the deciding factor on him getting one.

Nathan has a DS and he loves it. The only probelm is that there are not that many DS games available. Will the PSP run into the same problem?
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by mamabot
    Reaver, do you know if it has an address book feature? That is the one thing my brother said would be the deciding factor on him getting one.
    Not yet. But I'm 98% sure it's coming. There is supposed to be an email/messaging upgrade on the way, as well as support for periferals such as add-on USB cameras...

Quote Originally Posted by mamabot
    Nathan has a DS and he loves it. The only probelm is that there are not that many DS games available. Will the PSP run into the same problem?
    I doubt it. Sony has several studios on board making games already. I think there were 25-30 titles at release. Many more are in the works. Like any new system, it takes a little while. Since it's a modified PS2 OS, though, I can see a lot of porting of older games to the PSP as well. PS1 games could play on it without a problem, but some PS2 games will have to be trimmed a bit, as they did with SpiderMan 2... Plus, you'll have to buy them again, on UMDs...

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    What does it have that some people are raving about?
    Not exactly sure what you're asking... Raving good, or raving bad? It has a beautiful screen, great design, fast processor, WiFi built-in, easy to use controls, MP3 & MPEG-4 support for movies and music... It's simply a beautiful, well-rounded machine...

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    Not exactly sure what you're asking... Raving good, or raving bad? It has a beautiful screen, great design, fast processor, WiFi built-in, easy to use controls, MP3 & MPEG-4 support for movies and music... It's simply a beautiful, well-rounded machine...
    I just wanted some info, not negative, sorry, I should have been more clear.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    I just wanted some info, not negative, sorry, I should have been more clear.
    No worries at all. Anything specific that I didn't cover?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    No worries at all. Anything specific that I didn't cover?
    What is this system to able to do that others can't?

• Reaver of Souls

By others, do you mean the DS? Or are you including Zodiac and Gizmondo?

The display is better than anything out there, by far. This thing is crystal clear. I'm a visual person, so that's a big deal to me. And the screen is bigger than all of them as well. It's more like the system was designed aroung the screen, not the other way around. The processor is faster than all of them, which means faster, more enjoyable gaming with less load time. It's Sony, so they'l have more companies developing for them, which means a more varied gaming experience. It is going to have movies released in the standard UMD format, which is a strength an a weakness. It's a strength in that you'll get great quality and sound, made just for this device. It's a weakness in that you'll have to buy them. And I dn't see many people buying movies twice, so they can have them at home and on their PSP. You can always convert your DVDs into MPEG-4 format, and toss them onto a Memory Stick, but there's conversion time to think about there... Even so, that's probably the route I'll take, until someone comes out with a device that allows tou to pop your DVD into your PC, and burn a downsized copy onto a UMD.. That would be sweet...

• They wanna know, HO!

I'm going to stop by a store near us and go check out the unit on display, I can't afford one right now. I don't think the PSP will bury the DS nor the GBA until Sony comes out with the second revision and more people know what a PSP is and that Sony has a handheld. Remember, it took Apple 3 years to get people to know about the iPod....
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

Quote Originally Posted by testtrack321
    I'm going to stop by a store near us and go check out the unit on display, I can't afford one right now. I don't think the PSP will bury the DS nor the GBA until Sony comes out with the second revision and more people know what a PSP is and that Sony has a handheld. Remember, it took Apple 3 years to get people to know about the iPod....
    While what everyone says here is just our own opinions, which don't mean much, I think you're off. The ipod was at the time somewhat of a brand new device. There were a few other mp3 players out at the time but the whole genre was new so people were skeptical. Portable gaming on the other hand has been around for a long time, technically even before the Gameboy which is what started the current incarnation of portable gaming being systems with interchangable games. Portable gaming isn't a new concept customers have to ponder if it will last before they make their investment. It's obviously going to last and the wow factor after you've sat down with a PSP for a while is so overwhelming that I litterally said "DS what?... DS Who?.. DS?" Nintendo is screwed.

I own a DS as well as a PSP and I haven't touched my DS since probably mid December. I'm looking forward to a few DS games coming out this year, but they're not coming out until late into the year and to think that I will have probably not touched my DS for 12 months by the time these games come out, is LAME on nintendo's part. There are even rumors that Nintendo is going to reveal their next Game Boy at E3 in May and that's going to piss off so many DS owners. The next Game Boy is rumored to be $100 and at that price they cannot release a portable Gamecube, which is the only thing imaginable that can save their hide.

It's all about games. To this day there are 4-6 DS titles in the 8/10 in reviews range, and on launch day for the PSP this past week there were already that many for PSP. That's just sad. Technically you couldn't go wrong picking up any PSP game on launch day, they all had respectable reviews, unlike the DS' launch line up which had a few 3/10ish titles out of the slim launch line up.

Other than the games, the PSP's other features are sweet. You can watch pretty much DVD quality movies on UMD discs or encode movies yourself and watch them on memory sticks (roughly 3 movies on one 1 gig memory stick depending on how you encode it). Or you can take that 1 gig memory stick and fill it up with mp3s, or photos and view them on the PSP screen.

The future for this device is bright. Not only will there most likely be date book type applications available but you'll be able to surf the web, which is already possible with a little hacking.

To sum up the good...
    - Really solid launch games available
    - Future best sellers on the way this year like Grand Theft Auto: PSP
    - MP3 Player
    - Watch Movies
    - Display Photos
    - WiFi gaming with people locally (supported by most multi player games)
    - WiFi gaming with people over the internet (supported by some games)
    - Downloadable content
    - You can play a mutliplayer game with two PSPs and only one copy of the game.
    - Gadget of the year - only to be dethroned if PS3 or Xbox 2 come out this year.

The down sides....

- While there are good games here now, and a few good/great ones coming out the release dates list for games coming out this year still looks a lil slim.
    - Finding one isn't going to be easy.
    - The games are too pricey $40-50
    - Battery life isn't as good as DS, but the up side is the PSP uses a removable battery so you can either buy multiples or wait until the technology improves and someone releases a rechargable battery that lasts longer.
    - Memory sticks are expensive, but in time with so many people buying them the prices should drop.

Most stupid thing I've heard a sales person say about the PSP vs DS so far....
    "PSP is so much less bulky than the DS. The DS is at least 2lbs more heavy than the PSP."

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

IMHO, the DS was what we call a 'responce product'. A product that was strictly developed and created to specially compete with another product (PSP).
    -Monorail Man

• Minion

The Nintendo DS doesn't have any killer apps yet. You know, those games that are so cool, and so talked about that they are a deciding factor in which a system might be purchased? PSP has several. Including the holy grail of Playstation gaming... Grand Theft Auto. If that game is done right, then you can pretty much declare this generation of the handheld console wars over, even though it has barely begun. Gran Turismo 4 will be coming out soon also... All they need is a good solid RPG (Kingdom Hearts anyone?) and it's a done deal...

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man
    IMHO, the DS was what we call a 'responce product'. A product that was strictly developed and created to specially compete with another product (PSP).
    Nintendo did a good job of selling 5 million units and stealing a lot of Sony's thunder. A lot of people out there don't find it logical to buy 2 systems like these in one year.

Sony could have done a little better to advertise the system. If they set up demos in the stores so people could see this gem, wow, they would have been sold out... like they are anyways. Wonder how long until they catch up with the sales of the DS and pass it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    The Nintendo DS doesn't have any killer apps yet. You know, those games that are so cool, and so talked about that they are a deciding factor in which a system might be purchased? PSP has several. Including the holy grail of Playstation gaming... Grand Theft Auto. If that game is done right, then you can pretty much declare this generation of the handheld console wars over, even though it has barely begun. Gran Turismo 4 will be coming out soon also... All they need is a good solid RPG (Kingdom Hearts anyone?) and it's a done deal...
    Well.. GBA has Kingdom Hearts, but it's not really a killer app, just a great title to own, not a system seller.

I'm looking forward to Mario Kart DS (better be more than just a typical Mario Kart 64 rehash) and Animal Crossing.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast