Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    55

    Question Annual Meeting Attendance Questions

    Primarily for those who have attended in the past ...

    1) I know the meeting starts at 10:00. Any suggestions on what time to get there to make sure I get a seat (yes, I did post this question in another thread; I'm hoping for a more complete/specific answer)? I'd rather not show up at 7:00 if it's not helpful or necessary. OTOH, I'd rather not get there at 9:00 and find out I won't get in.

    2) IIRC, there is a rule about no cameras or recording devices, but I remember seeing pictures people have taken at previous meetings. Is it OK to have a camera outside, but just not use it in the meeting itself, or are cameras not allowed, period?

    3) Any idea about how long the meeting will go? And how is lunch or lunchtime handled (I'm assuming it'll at least go past lunchtime)?

    Thanks, all!

  2. #2

    • World Traveler
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Aventura, FL
    Posts
    4,013

    Re: Annual Meeting Attendance Questions

    I'm glad they're having the meeting in California next year. I hope they do it in Florida next year.

  3. #3

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9

    Re: Annual Meeting Attendance Questions

    Hey everyone,

    I went to the 2004 Annual Shareholder's meeting in Philadelphia, PA. This meeting did run long, however the Walt Disney Company was going through a lot with the SaveDisney.com movement, making the meeting pretty embattled for Michael Eisner. Needless to say it did start at 10am or 9am but it did not end until about 3:30pm.
    Food is not served at these. In the morning when you get there you probably will be offered juice and maybe a danish but you're not going to hear, "let's break for lunch" and have a whole buffet waiting for you.
    I remember getting in front of the Philadelphia Convention Center for 5:30am which was too early because I was able to wait inside but it was before they started making people wait outside. But there was another guy there about my age, so I made a friend!!
    When they finally let us in, there was the juice and danish and a metal detector to keep people from going in with cameras and even camera telephones, so you might want to keep your cellular telephone in your car.
    Different booths were set up from Consumer Products and Disney VoluntEars/Disney Hand were out in front with a few hand outs but once you got inside they had Mickey cartoons playing as well as a live video feed from the lobby where Mickey, Minnie, and the Disney Princesses were outside greeting guests.
    Just a few things to remember they do have open microphone forums but some people think of it to voice opinions on issues more as a fan or consumer than as an investor or shareholder. Things like why is The Wonderful World of Disney just a 2-hour "infomertional" (actual word used at the meeting) for Disney or why is Figment a 6-foot character at the parks do not belong at the annual meeting, but rather a letter to guest services.
    Other than that the material runs pretty dry, and I don't expect the turmoil that was associated with the 2004 meeting but its pretty interesting to go.
    I won't be there, but await a full-detailed description.

    Jon

  4. #4

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    55

    Re: Annual Meeting Attendance Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by SoccerMickey
    Hey everyone,

    I went to the 2004 Annual Shareholder's meeting in Philadelphia, PA. This meeting did run long, however the Walt Disney Company was going through a lot with the SaveDisney.com movement, making the meeting pretty embattled for Michael Eisner. Needless to say it did start at 10am or 9am but it did not end until about 3:30pm.
    Food is not served at these. In the morning when you get there you probably will be offered juice and maybe a danish but you're not going to hear, "let's break for lunch" and have a whole buffet waiting for you.
    I remember getting in front of the Philadelphia Convention Center for 5:30am which was too early because I was able to wait inside but it was before they started making people wait outside. But there was another guy there about my age, so I made a friend!!
    When they finally let us in, there was the juice and danish and a metal detector to keep people from going in with cameras and even camera telephones, so you might want to keep your cellular telephone in your car.
    Different booths were set up from Consumer Products and Disney VoluntEars/Disney Hand were out in front with a few hand outs but once you got inside they had Mickey cartoons playing as well as a live video feed from the lobby where Mickey, Minnie, and the Disney Princesses were outside greeting guests.
    Just a few things to remember they do have open microphone forums but some people think of it to voice opinions on issues more as a fan or consumer than as an investor or shareholder. Things like why is The Wonderful World of Disney just a 2-hour "infomertional" (actual word used at the meeting) for Disney or why is Figment a 6-foot character at the parks do not belong at the annual meeting, but rather a letter to guest services.
    Other than that the material runs pretty dry, and I don't expect the turmoil that was associated with the 2004 meeting but its pretty interesting to go.
    I won't be there, but await a full-detailed description.

    Jon

    Thanks for the great information, Jon!

    So, it sounds like I'd be better off not taking the camera at all, right? If anything exciting happens outside, it can live in my memory rather than in a photo. I think I'll aim for arriving about 8:30 (unless someone has another suggestion).

    One further quesiton on the lunch issue: As far as anyone knows, is it OK to bring a lunch, or do I just have to wait to eat until it's all over?

    You know, as I think about it, probably someone from the Walt Disney Company might be able to answer these questions, too. Maybe
    Corporate Shareholder Services?

  5. #5

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16

    Re: Annual Meeting Attendance Questions

    I used to go to these every year back when they were always in Anaheim. Probably 20 or more years ago.

    Everyone would get a free ticket to Disneyland and at the end they would screen their latest film! Those days are long gone!

  6. #6

    • Padawan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain
    Posts
    1,682

    Re: Annual Meeting Attendance Questions

    After spending half the day on hold with E*Trade trying to get information on how to attend (they had no clue)... a simple phone call to Disney in Burbank was all I needed to get the simple info I wanted: All I need to attend is my last E*Trade statement and a driver's license for ID! That was easy. Looking forward to my first Disney Stockholders meeting!
    --Jonathan

  7. #7

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,338

    Re: Annual Meeting Attendance Questions

    I don't really know what everyone is expecting from this annual meeting.

    Oh, there will be some gadfly taking up 20 minutes of everyone else's fame to complain about some little thing and could Bob Iger fix it for him/her as soon as possible, and by the way, he/she owns only one share because that's all you need to take up 20 minutes's time of a large room of people who could not care less about this person's personal problems.
    Might be some magic there.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  8. #8

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,035

    Re: Annual Meeting Attendance Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    I don't really know what everyone is expecting from this annual meeting.
    A sense of hope for the future and respect for the past that hasn't been around for a long, long time.

  9. #9

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    545

    Re: Annual Meeting Attendance Questions

    • arrive 90 minutes early
    • orange juice and pastries served
    • no lunch break
    • food not allowed in
    • cell phones and ALL recording devices forbidden

  10. #10

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,338

    Re: Annual Meeting Attendance Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    A sense of hope for the future and respect for the past that hasn't been around for a long, long time.
    Meh. You can read about it afterward and get the same senses. You can have those senses even without the existence of an annual shareholders' meeting.

    And that gadfly will not be there for any of those senses, either. Just for him/herself.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Similar Threads

  1. Annual Theme Park Attendance Numbers
    By Parisi in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-20-2008, 05:49 PM
  2. 03-11-08 Disney Annual Meeting Podcast
    By Chuck Oberleitner in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 11:20 PM
  3. Disney to Webcast Its Annual Meeting of Shareholders
    By disneytim in forum MiceAge Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-03-2008, 10:10 PM
  4. Annual Meeting.
    By cellarhound in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-05-2006, 11:52 AM
  5. Annual Meeting in Anahiem
    By cellarhound in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2006, 11:12 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •