• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Longtime California Radio Host Dies

I just wanted to post this thread in honor of a man that I worked with in Ventura, California radio for more than 15 years.

Dave Ciniero, best known as the host of the locally very popular "Dave and Bob" morning show for more than 21 years, passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack just after midnight, Friday morning Februray 17.

I worked with him at KVEN 1450 AM as the morning sports update man from 1984 to 1999, when they took their show cross town to KVTA.

From the story in the LA Times today (2/18):

(Dave) Ciniero and (Bob) Adams had a devoted circle of listeners, many of whom called in frequently to chat with the hosts during the four hours they were on the air each weekday.

Ciniero would usually poke fun at their names or find some other thing to needle them about — and the listeners loved it, said Miles Sexton, president of Gold Coast Broadcasting, the station's owner. The show combined Ciniero's humor with Adams' news reports and community-oriented events and contests.

"He had a gruff exterior, but we all knew he was a cream puff on the inside," Sexton said.

Each December, the morning duo held a fundraising campaign for needy children, raising $60,000 in the most recent drive, Sexton said.
    Dave and I were never close on a personal level. He was always one of those great performer types that was really outgoing when the "mic" was on, but had a harder time socially off the air.

Still, listeners loved him and he did a lot of great work for local charities on and off the air.

And you don't work with a guy for 15 years, and not feel it when something like this happens.

And radio as a whole is worse off for Dave Ciniero's passing.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Give Peace a Chance

Re: Longtime California Radio Host Dies

I am sad to hear this. I did not listen to them often, but I did from time to time. And you are right it is very rough to lose a co-worker to death. A co-worker of mine passed away suddenly a few years ago, one whom I greatly respected, it hurt.
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! șoș