View Poll Results: Do you agree, disagree or have mixed thoughts about NHL players at the Olympics?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree

3 37.50%
  • Disagree

1 12.50%
  • Mixed

4 50.00%

• Infinitized!

NHL players at the Olympics: What do you think?

Do you agree, disagree or have mixed thoughts about NHL players playing at the Olympics?

• Infinitized!

Re: NHL players at the Olympics: What do you think?

If the Olympics are supposed to be for amateur sports, it kinda messes with the whole point of the Olympics if professional athletes are there doen't it?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

You can go many ways with this one, Barbossa. I hate the NBA team concept in the Summer Ganes, and I am not wild about NHL players in hockey, either...if for no other reason than the fact that it disrupts the regular season for two weeks.

Anyway, the fact of the matter is that, now as before, we are sending our athletes to perform against athletes from other countries that are really professionals. This was especially true, of course, when the Soviet bloc was still in force during the Cold War. And it's still true in many cases today.

And let's face it - the Olympic ideal has been corrupted so much by politics, world affairs, scandals, corporate partnerships, etc...to the point where it has become something of a joke.

So I guess in the final analysis I say that if other countries are sending their best athletes regardless if they are getting paid, so should we.

Of course, in the case of the NBA and NHL, players earn their big money here, mostly, and then sometimes go play for their home countries...that kind of irks me too.

The concept of amateur youth from around the world coming together in the spirit of competition is noble, but sadly it's just a concept.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• a saweet songbird =)

Thumbs up Re: NHL players at the Olympics: What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    You can go many ways with this one, Barbossa. I hate the NBA team concept in the Summer Ganes, and I am not wild about NHL players in hockey, either...if for no other reason than the fact that it disrupts the regular season for two weeks.
    AMEN!

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

The Problem with Basketball, Hockey, and even baseball, is in some countries, "Pro" couldn't be defined. For Years Teams like the former USSR ran the board on medals.

From what i saw with Basketball, is you had 5 superstar individuals out there, and not a team. I did however LOVE the '92 team Something about Jordan, Magic, and Bird on the same team was just amazing, but since then Basketball has gone WAY down hill, and the NBA is no longer a team sport but a collection of guys trying to make the hi-light reel.

Hockey on the other hand... I Love it that NHLers go to the games win or lose. People asked this same Question after Nagano in '98 when Canada and USA fell on their butts, but were Thrilled with the NHL on '02 when the outcome the Olympics and NHL Wanted, Canada Vs. USA Final, happened.

Hockey is a TEAM Sport more than ANY OTHER. The best TEAM wins the Stanley Cup, The Best TEAM wins at the Olympics and Worlds. I would put together lines that play together in the NHL, and if a Superstar goalie goes, I'd put him with a few defensemen he plays with as well. Find some combinations from around the NHL that fit that bill, and I think you would have a winner. This Year when i first saw the USA line-up I was hoping they knew something I didn't, as I was not impressed. Canada is underacheiving completly on the other hand. Slovakia, Finland, and the Swiss are GREATLY improved, and Russia and Sweden are exellent.

You will see this question a lot if Canada doesnt win gold, (and USA wins an early plane ride home tueday morning...as I predict will be the case) but if Canada does win gold, Gretzky will once again be hailed as a national hero, and the question will be dropped.

Should they Be there? YES, and may the best TEAM win.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

The IOC WANTS Pro's, in fact, sports are starting to be banned if they do not allow there BEST athletes to attend. (The IOC wants the largest amount of TV money they can get).

Yes, it USED to be about the amateurs, but now it is the best athletes you have in your country, regardless of their status.

And it is the IOC who made the change.....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

I agree that the original idea of the Olympics has been lost and it makes me sad. I could have NHL hockey plus Olympic hockey.

In and of itself, I don't mind NHL players in the Olympics, considering that other countries do it. Let's have a level playing field. I wish other countries would not have pros; I'd still watch the O coverage.

We can't really go back and ban pros from the Games. So I guess I have to deal with the interruption to my regular season. I read an article on this subject; the writer thought NHLers should not be in the Games, in part because the O team has no time to practice as a team. They're going the way of the NBA basketball team- individuals trying to make the highlight reel. Our USA team flew on Monday, the day they were supposed to have their only practice. How can you have a team without any team practice? The advantage is that these guys have played together in the NHL, so they do know each other somewhat, but you still need to practice as a team. They're doing the best they can but hockey's a team sport and pulling together players from the different places like they do is hard.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Rock Star Minion

I'm mixed. I don't mind when the Winter O's are on this hemisphere/continent. But hockey is a team sport and it requires a lot of teamwork. Maybe when New Zealand or Chile hosts a "Winter" Olympics, there could be some better play.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."