• done

Titanic Exhibit at Queen Mary

For anyone who might have missed the Titanic exhibit a couple years ago, the exhibit is currently at the Queen Mary. It doesn't say how long it's going to be there, and the ticket price is a bit more expensive, but that might be because it's 3 years later and that it's at the Queen Mary as opposed to the California Science Center.

Here's the Titanic page: http://www.queenmary.com/titanic.php, and here's the page of prices, which includes different combo tours: http://www.queenmary.com/attractions.php?page=prices.

I've also got a write-up from when we saw the exhibit in 2003 posted here: http://www.colddeadfish.net/entertai...icexhibit.html.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Re: Titanic Exhibit at Queen Mary

I saw that exhibit in Vegas and it was amazing. It gave me serious chills... even just thinking about it now. And seeing it on a ship... I can only imagine! I highly reccomend it!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Wasn't Me!

I also saw the exhibit in Las Vegas! It was amazing!

It was very eerie to turn a corner and be in a first class corridor or another and be in front of the grand staircase...

I have been interested in the Titanic since I was a kid and I loved this entire exhibit!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Is it really the same exhibit as the one that was at the Ca Sci Center? I dont have time to look but does it have the huge piece of the side of Titanic too? If so that exhibit was......ok. I wasnt too impressed and in fact the only thing that impressed me was that big huge piece of metal.

As for the Q.M., dont EVEN get me started on that place. I love the Q.M. and was there 3 weeks ago and the place is in such disrepair. Faded and peeling paint (the smokestacks are suppose to be RED not orange!). Rust all over, many MANY exhibits closed, no guided tours (at least the day I was there). It was a total waste of $28 and we were done with it and the sub in 90 minutes. I was embarrassed showing this wreck to my out or town guest. It needs some serious loving before I will go back. Its such a shame because its such a beautiful piece of engineering work and has so many beautiful works of art inside (as in its architecture). I sure wish Disney still owned it.

• love my friends

Is this the same exhibit that was at the science centre.. I saw that one and Loved it./.

I thought maybe this was different though, let me know as if it is the same I wont go

Friends for life

• no flash photography...

I don't beleive it's exactly the same exhibit. This is the second time the Queen Mary has held a titanic exhibit aboard. The first one was well before the ca science center one.

Go a bit easy on the queen mary. The company currently running her has filed bakraupcy and they are having a time getting anyone else to run her. Although the current company did some really bad things to the Queen Mary and I hope they do go. I couldn't believe when the city of long beach granted them a 60 year lease. Then they went and defaulted on a million or so in rent credits owed to the city...which kind of brings the ship to the state she's in today.....of course the huge tear out in the 60's/70's didn't set her up for much success.....and the lack of a dry dock close by leaves her fate uncertain. The protective paint was only good for 25 to 30 years...oh, and the decks may be hogging...the first class pool is in very bad disrepair. It's really sad....

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    I don't beleive it's exactly the same exhibit. This is the second time the Queen Mary has held a titanic exhibit aboard. The first one was well before the ca science center one.

Go a bit easy on the queen mary. The company currently running her has filed bakraupcy and they are having a time getting anyone else to run her. Although the current company did some really bad things to the Queen Mary and I hope they do go. I couldn't believe when the city of long beach granted them a 60 year lease. Then they went and defaulted on a million or so in rent credits owed to the city...which kind of brings the ship to the state she's in today.....of course the huge tear out in the 60's/70's didn't set her up for much success.....and the lack of a dry dock close by leaves her fate uncertain. The protective paint was only good for 25 to 30 years...oh, and the decks may be hogging...the first class pool is in very bad disrepair. It's really sad....
    Seems like the perfect time for Disney to come in and buy it.
    As a thrill ride, they could sink it twice a day.

Probably be easier to refurbish it and recommission it for service. Or take over that whole area down there and make Long Beach DisneySeas. Tear down a hundred or so houses and extend the monorail line.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• love my friends

Didnt disney own it at one time?? this was when it went downhill from what I hear.. (this was before my time) before I came to live in the US..

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

WHy would this have happened..

I still love the queen mary, but they charge way way way TOOOOOOO MUCH

Friends for life

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by kelly
    Didnt disney own it at one time?? this was when it went downhill from what I hear.. (this was before my time) before I came to live in the US..

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

WHy would this have happened..

I still love the queen mary, but they charge way way way TOOOOOOO MUCH
    no, disney did not own it, they ran it. They were going to make disneyseas there. They even had the plans drawn up, but the city of Long Beach was to difficult to work with. They did not do well running it. It's not really there expertise.....they pulled out and the ship sat empty for a whilr. then the RMS foundation started running it. I guess they did some good, but alot of bad. I ahte that the "refurbished" alot of the original cabins to look like any run of the mill hotel room. The last few times I went to the ship it just made me sad. It is in a state of neglect right now and would take so much money to restore. They keep almost all the rooms "locked" up. they are not really locked, but unless you kow the way in most people do not see them. The funnels are not even real. The original ones broke up. The funnel uptakes are all decked over now and emergency staircases are in some of them. If you go up to the funnels and open the door in them you will see just metal braces holding them up.

I also heard that one of the mirrors in the first class main lounge was cracked pretty bad recently. Thats an original mirror...it's just sad to me. Personlly, i don't think she should be an amusement type ride for lack of a better word. Ironically they tore out most of the original stuff, but the engine room is the most popular destination. One of the few things they did not change much of. You should see the state of the third and second class dining rooms!!

Oh, and they can never restore her to service again. Mainly because it was part of the agreement in the purchase of the ship. She is also classified as a building now. I don't even think she could be towed safely. She is extremly top heavy, but other people feel she could be towed as long as the seas were calm....OK??....

Thanks for posting this thread. dh and I were in vegas years ago for a bowling tournament and the exhibit was at one of the hotels and we just couldnt fit it in our schedule.

Our wedding anniversary is in a week, so Im gonna let dh know and hopefully he can go. He likes the Queen Mary and I like Titanic, so it is a win win situation .
    www.reveles.net
    "a whole lot of nothin"

• Super saucy pixie!

I went to the last Titanic exhibit held at the Queen Mary in... maybe, 1998? It was INCREDIBLE. I would go again in a heartbeat. Definitely recommended to anyone interested! Don't miss it!

• done

It's the same exhibit name, and the description sounds the same as the one that was at the California Science Center in 2003, so I'm figuring it's the same. When we saw that one, I knew there were several "touring groups" of the exhibit running at the same time, all with basically the same thing except for a few special items. We were lucky enough to be able to see the one with the side of the Titanic. Obviously, that can only be in one tour at a time. Don't know if the one at the Queen Mary in '98 was the same.