Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

DisneyToon/Princess/Sequel Rumors

I hear rumors that DisneyToon had a meeting and told everyone that all the sequels projects were cancelled - EXCEPT those associated with key consumer product lines, such as Disney Princess, Fairies and Mermaids (I don't know if that includes more Pooh or not).

So according to this source, Cinderella 3 and Little Mermaid 3 and Tinkerbell Movie are all still a go, but Dumbo and Pinocchio can go have a margarita to celebrate. Who know what this means for Snow White, Aurora and friends?

Seems like a step in the right direction - identifying the videos more specifically as consumer products, rather than "movies" - but it's a shame the princesses will have to suffer a bit longer until some prince hopefully rescues them.

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

Re: DisneyToon/Princess/Sequel Rumors

If they're going to continue to go this route, I'd prefer that instead of a title like "Cindrella 3" and "Little Mermaid 3" they do something like "More Cinderella Stories" or "Ariel's New Adventures" or something like that. At least that separates the video releases a little bit from the original films, instead of pretending that they are all co-equal.

If they can set apart the video releases from the orignal films, that would at least help a little bit.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• Former Epcot CM

I don't think even Michael Eisner would have dared touch Snow White. That is the last film to get a sequel - Hollywood, probably even the President, would be up in arms, never mind MiceChatters!
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Doopey1
    If they're going to continue to go this route, I'd prefer that instead of a title like "Cindrella 3" and "Little Mermaid 3" they do something like "More Cinderella Stories" or "Ariel's New Adventures" or something like that. At least that separates the video releases a little bit from the original films, instead of pretending that they are all co-equal.

If they can set apart the video releases from the orignal films, that would at least help a little bit.
    I would agree, however the concept of these type of sequils still makes me want to yak... I would prefer if they kept it in the "Princess" series...

And not try to make new movies out of these classic films...
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

>>I don't think even Michael Eisner would have dared touch Snow White. That is the last film to get a sequel - Hollywood, probably even the President, would be up in arms, never mind MiceChatters!<<

Believe it or not, Eisner allegedly DID have secret development going on for a Snow White sequel/"The Dopey Movie" or some such nonsense, CGI even.

And Walt refused to make a Snow White sequel even when the studio was in dire financial jeopardy...

Bambi 2 now ... Brother Bear 2 this summer ... Fox and the Hound 2 this fall/winter ... scary.

And the stroller brigade continues to buy the crapquils, while diluting the animation legacy. John Lasseter and Ed Catmull and Co to the rescue!

• Disney Memory Maker

If these rumors are true (which I don't think they are), that would be ashame. DisneyToon studios is getting really good. The animation in both Bambi II & BB II look pretty much equal to the originals. The stories were also starting to get better too (I thought TLK1.5 & Tarzan 2 were very good). And although I havn't seen them yet, Bambi II and Kronk's New Groove both look very good too.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Minion

>>If these rumors are true (which I don't think they are), that would be ashame. DisneyToon studios is getting really good. The animation in both Bambi II & BB II look pretty much equal to the originals. The stories were also starting to get better too (I thought TLK1.5 & Tarzan 2 were very good). And although I havn't seen them yet, Bambi II and Kronk's New Groove both look very good too.<<

These products, the PC revisionist storytelling - and the management methods used to make them - have severely damaged the studio's animation reputation. The Eisner era is over - - these should remain part of his legacy, not Walt's brilliance nor Bob Iger's bright promise.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    These products......have severely damaged the studio's animation reputation.
    How have they damaged the studio's reputation? They are two seperate studios. DisneyToon & WDFA are completely different. If Cars does spectacular, I wouldn't say that brings up WDFA's reputation. WDFA did not make it, it should not & does not affect their reputation. And add that to the fact that most of these DisneyToon products have sold really well, showing that people actually do like them.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Creative Director

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    I hear rumors that DisneyToon had a meeting and told everyone that all the sequels projects were cancelled - EXCEPT those associated with key consumer product lines, such as Disney Princess, Fairies and Mermaids (I don't know if that includes more Pooh or not).

So according to this source, Cinderella 3 and Little Mermaid 3 and Tinkerbell Movie are all still a go, but Dumbo and Pinocchio can go have a margarita to celebrate. Who know what this means for Snow White, Aurora and friends?

Seems like a step in the right direction - identifying the videos more specifically as consumer products, rather than "movies" - but it's a shame the princesses will have to suffer a bit longer until some prince hopefully rescues them.
    I actually believe this. Catmull and Lassiter must be making some decisions right now. The whole Disney animation shebang is theirs!
    It almost sounds a bit like a compromise. Catmull and lassiter wanting to stop all sequels, and somewhere in Disney someone wanting to keep them going. doing ones just associated to a few very strong consumer products lines was probably the compromise in the end.
    I don't know, just my guess.

I would hope in about 6 months are so, we will see more major major changes at WDFA and toonstudios. especially in the executive side.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    And the stroller brigade continues to buy the crapquils, while diluting the animation legacy. John Lasseter and Ed Catmull and Co to the rescue!
    This is the second thread where I've seen you post something negative about the so-called "stroller brigade" and again I feel like I need to respond. I've got kids under the age of 5 (very firmly planted in that "stroller age") and I can assure you that I do not buy any of this direct to video sequel crap for them. In fact, my kids rec'd a "Princess Stories: Volume 3" for Christmas and it is sitting unopened on my desk because I refuse to support it and hope to exchange it for "Lady and the Tramp".

Now I know that not every parent is as discriminating as this, but I think there are more of us than you think and so I would appreciate it if you would not lump us all together as if we were the cause of the downfall of Disney. Thank you.
    --John Lasseter

I double posted, my apologies.
    --John Lasseter

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    How have they damaged the studio's reputation? They are two seperate studios. DisneyToon & WDFA are completely different. If Cars does spectacular, I wouldn't say that brings up WDFA's reputation. WDFA did not make it, it should not & does not affect their reputation. And add that to the fact that most of these DisneyToon products have sold really well, showing that people actually do like them.
    Well, ruined it a bit because 99% of the buyers aren't able to tell the difference between WDFA and DT. And they wouldn't think that there was a difference, either -- just like about 30% of Shrek viewers thought it was a Disney film. I always wonder -- how many actually pay attention to the fact that some films were Pixar films and not made entirely by WDFA?

They sell well, but for the most part, each release has been in a decline of sales. There's been some ups and downs, but overall -- they're in a decline of sales.
    -Tim

• Rock Star Minion

I agree. It has "Disney" on the front, and if enough of these suck, soon even the quality movies at theaters will suffer. It's the BRAND. It's the reputation of the whole company that slowly erodes when too many of the products are not up to par.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

Reportedly, one of the first casualties of this initiative is that production of Chicken Little 2 has been cancelled (Aristocats 2 was also cancelled while in production in recent months).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast