Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Time to do a HAPPY Dance, EVIL Strategic Planning is DEAD!!!

http://www.forbes.com/technology/ebu...ap1906853.html

Nearly two weeks after being named Disney's new chief executive, Robert Iger has made his first significant move to change the way decisions are made at the media conglomerate.

Disney said Friday it is restructuring its corporate Strategic Planning unit to give each of the company's businesses more authority to make acquisitions and start new ventures.

Peter Murphy, Disney's chief strategic officer, will leave that role and become a senior adviser to Iger, the company said.

Iger, who will take over from longtime CEO Michael Eisner in October, has said he wants to foster a more entrepreneurial atmosphere at the company while holding the heads of Disney's film studio, media networks, consumer products and theme parks divisions more accountable.
    http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=8005187

Disney said it would shift many of the planning duties to the theme parks, media networks, movie studio and consumer products units, keeping a smaller strategic team.

"This new structure will create efficiency with accountability and empower our business unit leaders," Iger said in a statement.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

•   
    • Minion

Wow... Decentralization is a good thing... Besides, how much does Iger know about running a theme park or a movie studio? You are talking about someone who used to try and predict the weather....
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

wait... he is doing good things????

• Minion

This is a seriously good sign. I must admit, I'm encouraged. Let's hope Iger proves us all wrong and does Walt's legacy justice.

Dare we dream that there's a light at the end of this nightmarishly long tunnel?

If I were Iger, you know what I'd do? I'd have a sit-down with Roy, Stanley Gold, Diane and Ron Miller, and the rest of the Disney family, and I'd take Diane's hand and look her in the eye and say "I mean to restore your faith in your father's company." Hopefully there wouldn't be a dry eye in the house, but then would come the really tough part -

actually living up to that and doing what needs to be done to restore the Disney name in the eyes of the world.
    Last edited by SilentBob66; 03-25-2005 at 09:01 PM.
    My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob66
    If I were Iger, you know what I'd do? I'd have a sit-down with Roy, Stanley Gold, Diane and Ron Miller, and the rest of the Disney family, and I'd take Diane's hand and look her in the eye and say "I mean to restore your faith in your father's company." Hopefully there wouldn't be a dry eye in the house, but then would come the really tough part -

actually living up to that and doing what needs to be done to restore the Disney name in the eyes of the world.
    Why can't you be Iger? Instead you're just SilentBob66. Oh bother! I hope this means good things too!! But then again, I am very optimistic.

• Senior Minion

I was hoping something like this would shake up the management a bit.
    This is a Start... Hmmm.. This is GooD!!!!!!
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Creative Director

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but the entire Strategic Planning Unit is NOT gone, just broken apart, and not in its current form.

Hopefully this is a good thing, for we all know what that division has done to the company. But, it could just be a repositioning of power, and not come out as very effective.
    But hey, I hope is a good thing in the long run.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...lines-business

Murphy's 30-person strategic planning unit will be dramatically downsized, giving more autonomy to Disney's division chiefs, some of whom have complained of being marginalized and disrespected by Murphy. Critics of his operation, which reviews all major Disney initiatives, have dubbed it "the business prevention department."

Numerous Disney executives, as well as Wall Street analysts who track the company, had seen the internal unrest surrounding Murphy as an opportunity for Iger to score points with his troops while distancing himself from his predecessor's regime. He apparently succeeded.

"This is a welcome change and long needed," said USC business professor Warren Bennis. "Too many decisions are made by Eisner and the strategic planning department, and it's why to a great extent Disney has lost a lot of talent over the years."

Although Murphy, 42, played an important role in acquisitions that have built Disney into a global entertainment powerhouse, his style rankled some senior executives, who said projects too often got bogged down while Murphy's underlings reviewed them.

"You want to energize bold, thoughtful risk taking in a creative business," said Jeffrey Sonnenfeld, associate dean of the Yale School of Management. "You just can't do that when you're caught up in complex chains of command."

But the structural problems were compounded by Murphy's reputation as Eisner's guided missile, said several current and former Disney executives, who asked not to be named.

Eisner relied heavily on Murphy and his group to keep tabs on the decisions of his top managers in the company's four divisions film, theme parks, consumer products and television giving him authority to veto investments his boss didn't like or pursue projects he did.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Creative Director

That article is definitly true, Strategic Planning was the bane of creativity, as Roy would say. I really hope this allows creative plans and decisions to be made quicker and easier.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite
    Not to burst anyone's bubble, but the entire Strategic Planning Unit is NOT gone, just broken apart, and not in its current form.

Hopefully this is a good thing, for we all know what that division has done to the company. But, it could just be a repositioning of power, and not come out as very effective.
    But hey, I hope is a good thing in the long run.
    Yes, the article did say that... I don think any of us expected it to die all together...
    Check out my other blog:

Wow!!! Finally some good news, I guess Iger really did want to prove he was not going to continue Eisner's practices. There is actually HOPE! I haven't been hopeful about the future of the Walt Disney Company in five years! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    Yes, the article did say that... I don think any of us expected it to die all together...
    So long as the downsized group focuses on mergers and aquisitions and lets the devision heads do their jobs I'm happy.

• Creative Director

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Eggz
    So long as the downsized group focuses on mergers and aquisitions and lets the devision heads do their jobs I'm happy.
    Amen, brother!

• The Concierge

Never forget what made you what you are, what gave you what you have and who brought you there!

The parks -- and the folks that visit them!

Who wants all his Magic Contributions to go back into the parks,
    Ric
    Director, Concierge Services
    HOLLYWOOD TOWER HOTEL
    established 1939

and featuring
    TIP TOP CLUB

on the top floor

• Rawr...

Niow all he needs to do is bring back the animators, and he'll be on my A-list.
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast