Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• I was deleted.

The Twins beat the pink sox!

But lost to the Pirates and Yankees.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Baseball and Spring Training

Today I was watching a local sports show and they interviewed Cubs catcher Michael Barrett. He ended the interview stating how great it would be if the Cubs and Sox met in the World Series.

I use to always tell my brother (who was a die hard Sox fan) that I never wanted a Crosstown World Series. The Cubs would surely lose. That would be worse, than never getting there.

I guess that's the Cubs fan mentality. Deep down inside, we just don't think it will ever happen.

Spring training makes everyone optimistic, sometimes even me.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Both Chicago teams lost their spring training games on Wednesday. My husband says, it doesn't matter. The games don't mean anything. I disagree, it's much mor fun winning and winning is infectious.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

When Barry Bonds got booed at Spring Training on Thursday, I wonder how he felt?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    When Barry Bonds got booed at Spring Training on Thursday, I wonder how he felt?
    "I'm rich!!"
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    We're spoiled here in SoCal. Vin Scully - the greatest. Chick Hearn, rest his soul - one of the best ever. Dick Enberg, for years the voice of the Rams and Angels before he went to NBC, and now CBS.

To say nothing of one of hockey's all-time great announcers, Bob Miller of the Kings.
    So true.
    I met Bob Miller between periods once. He was with his wife drinking a beer, just standing along the concourse of Staples Center. Completely unassuming. It was a good game so far, and I said so, and he agreed. That was the extent of our conversation.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    "I'm rich!!"
    I watch my baseball on television. I will not buy a ticket, to watch a ballgame. I feel that watching a major league game, costs way too much money. These ballplayers of today get paid too much. All of them are not worth the money that they get in their paychecks. So Barry Bonds, and others like him, for example Sammy Sosa, of Chicago, are not getting any of my money.

• Rock Star Minion

I watch my baseball on television. I will not buy a ticket, to watch a ballgame. I feel that watching a major league game, costs way too much money. These ballplayers of today get paid too much. All of them are not worth the money that they get in their paychecks. So Barry Bonds, and others like him, for example Sammy Sosa, of Chicago, are not getting any of my money.
    My point is that he's rich, regardless. If the stands were empty, he'd still be thinking that.
    Be sure not to buy any product being advertised on the TV or in the park (that shows on your screen). Owners get income from that, which they use to pay the players.
    Be sure not to watch any other shows on that station, either. It's all linked, like a spider's web.
    Soon, you'll be starving!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    My point is that he's rich, regardless. If the stands were empty, he'd still be thinking that.
    Be sure not to buy any product being advertised on the TV or in the park (that shows on your screen). Owners get income from that, which they use to pay the players.
    Be sure not to watch any other shows on that station, either. It's all linked, like a spider's web.
    Soon, you'll be starving!
    I realize all of that, of course. I love watching baseball at Wrigley Field, for instance. They are always trying to figure out how to squeeze more money out of their ballpark. To get a good seat at Wrigley Field is near impossible. I will not pay a lot of money to sit behind a pillar. They have overpriced the bleachers for years now. I went a lot when it was $5.

I just think that it all has gotten out of hand. I think more people, would rather take their families to watch, now here's where my baseball knowledge lags, games in the lessor leagues. The leagues below the majors. Many cities have stadiums, where baseball, is being played and it is good baseball, at a reasonable price.

I realize that I am probably in some way giving the ballplayers some of my money. I choose to make that portion as small as possible.

• Rock Star Minion

We don't buy tickets to baseball. I have a relative who sometimes gets tickets falling on his lap, and he calls me that day. It's hard to pass up, as Dodger Stadium is a great-looking park (even if it is symmetrical).

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I will never say no to a freebee.

• Rock Star Minion

I will never say no to a freebee.
    Well, I do have to do a lot of arranging on these spur-of-the-moment things. Are the kids available? What are they doing the next day, do I really want to see the Florida Marlins (it's never a rival team playing), etc.?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I find that sometimes, the best times are had, when we don't plan. Things done on the spur of the moment, sometimes have the best results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12