Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Baseball and Spring Training

Yesterday the White Sox lost their first Spring Training game in the Cactus league. The Chicago Cubs game will be broadcast on WGN radio today. I follow both teams, and between the newspaper and the radio, I hope to educate myself on the progress of both.

Do you follow Spring Training progress of your favorite team?

I encourage all MiceChatters to report on their respective teams. What are your newspapers and your television and radio stations, saying about your respective teams. I think it would be fun to read these reports.

So what's up with your team, this Spring Training?

• most magical vaca ever

Re: Baseball and Spring Training

~~~~~~

• most magical vaca ever

Ahhhh Spring Training Oh how I wish I were in Tampa right now!!!!
    ~~~~~~

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    Yesterday the White Sox lost their first Spring Training game in the Cactus league. The Chicago Cubs game will be broadcast on WGN radio today. I follow both teams, and between the newspaper and the radio, I hope to educate myself on the progress of both.

So what's up with your team, this Spring Training?
    Well, BarbaraAnn, as you know, my favorite team is the Angels - has been for the past 42 years now.

And you know how their season ended last year, since your White Sox basically flattened us in the ALCS.

I'm a bit discouraged by some of the moves the Angels made/didn't make in the off-season.

They did not acquire another big bat to support Vlad Guerrero in the lineup (even after the woeful offense in the playoffs), and they didn't keep Bengie Molina - in my opinion, one of the team's most valuable players for many years, including the '02 title run.

They're banking on young players to start hitting this year, but since everyone else in the AL West really improved, it's going to be tough, even with pretty good starting pitching.

The White Sox are clearly the class of the AL right now, not just because of the fact that they're defending champs, but because of that wonderful pitching. The Yankees, as usual, have a tremendous roster but they're starting pitching staff is pretty old.

As for the Cubs...I don't know that they'll ever win a pennant with Dusty Baker managing...

And don't forget we have a separate thread for the World Baseball Classic, that starts tonight.

Thank you,

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Nela25

Spring Training, love it & hate it!! I love it because you can go out to a game get some sun and watch your team or teams get ready for the season. Hate it because I start to get busy at work. I work for the Arizona Diamondbacks so the start of spring training means, busy...busy...busy. And next week we have the WBC here at Chase Field so that means that instead of getting ready for our own season we have to take a few days off and help with the WBC. I am really excited about that though...it should be a lot of fun!!!

I am going to Phoenix Muni tomorrow for a game...Brewers vs. A's. And on the 11th I am taking a bunch of our STH's to a game in Tucson (Tucson Electric Park) to see the Mariners vs. D'backs. I can't wait to go to that game. I worked at that stadium from the groundbreaking of the park through our second season. That is why I love the White Sox too!! Baseball season, what's better than that????

Go D'backs!!!!

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Go A's!...Go Red Sox!...**** The Yankees!

I wish i were in SoCal to see the World Baseball Classic too.....to see that many stars on the the field at once would be AWESOME! I hope the Tournament is a success!
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I didn't get to listen to the Cubs game yesterday, but in typical Cubs fashion, the expectations are high. Isn't that the feeling that all baseball fans feel as the season begins? Everyone has a clean slate. Now is the time to begin anew. Develop good habits.

White Sox have the bigger challenge. All eyes are on them. Chicago baseball is unique, in that our two teams are constantly compared and are no way equal. White Sox sold record tickets, and yet on the other side of town, the Cubs, who played bad baseball last year always fill up their ballpark. Different breed of fans, the Sox and Cubs fans.

Oh yes, the White Sox dropped 2 games. It's Spring training and these games do not mean anything. That is true. I am not being sarcastic. Spring training is for working on the basics, getting out the kinks, learning the players, and winning will come, when all the pieces are in place.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Growing up, I was a big Detroit Tigers fan. I saw themd o their spring training in Lakeland a few times and it was fun.

I'm not into baseball much anymore, but I live maybe 2 miles from the Phillies training camp here in Clearwater.

• Circle of Ancients

For the first time in a few years I'm actually excited about Dodger baseball.

I think that JD Drew will have a great year coming off his injury, I like the pick up of Nomar Garciaparra, Hee-Sop Choi should continue to improve and Cesar Izturis will have another great year.

The pitching staff should be better as well. They were plagued by injury last year so if the starting 5 (Lowe, Penny, Perez, Tomko and Seo) can stay healthy they have a chance to be good.

In the AL I will again root for the Angels. I will admit I haven't been an Angels fan as long as Barry, but I have been following them for about 20 years.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I think that one big key to the Dodger fortunes will be the health of Eric Gagne. If he is anywhere close to his old "Game Over" form, LA will be a formidable force in the NL West (of course last year, some little league teams could've dominated that division) ! The Padres did finish over 500, didn't they?

And speaking of the Padres - how many games do you think Mike Piazza will actually play this year. I don't get it - he would have been such a perfect fit in Anaheim - his bat in the lineup almost every day with the d-h, beefing up that still feeble offense.

He just can't catch anymore, and the first base experiment in NY was a disaster - but he can still swing the bat.

Two more Dodger notes - as a manager I never cared for Jim "Micro-Manager" Tracy. But is Grady Little really the answer? Ned Colleti certainly is a marked improvement over the moneyball boy at GM.

Paging Bill Stoneman...

Thank you,

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Today I watched some of the White Sox game and it was not a pretty sight. I do not have a fondness for White Sox broadcaster Hawk Harrelson.

Tomorrow the Cubs will be on at 2 o'clock Chicago time. I hope to watch that game.

One thing good about baseball, I can watch the game and MiceChat at the sme time.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    Today I watched some of the White Sox game and it was not a pretty sight. I do not have a fondness for White Sox broadcaster Hawk Harrelson.
    I always feel a bit uncomfortable criticizing others in sports broadcasting - but I must say that in a nation of "home-er" announcers, Hawk Harrelson ranks right up there with the Caray boys...Skip with the Braves is even worse that his dad Harry was in St. Louis, Oakland, and later Chicago with both the ChiSox and Cubs.

Harrelson...score...5-1...the bad guys are winnin.
    A good broadcaster should never use the word "we", in my opinion. We need a run here, folks. Gee, Hawk, you're not wearing the uniform are you? Well, he actually did that once, last year I think.

We're spoiled here in SoCal. Vin Scully - the greatest. Chick Hearn, rest his soul - one of the best ever. Dick Enberg, for years the voice of the Rams and Angels before he went to NBC, and now CBS.

To say nothing of one of hockey's all-time great announcers, Bob Miller of the Kings.

There's no doubt with each of these men as to which team they want to win. We know that all these guys are paid by the teams they cover. But they just give us the game in their own inimitable way, and leave the "we" and "good guy-bad guy" stuff to the Harrelsons and Carays of the world.

Thank you,

Barry

PS... Angels beat the Rockies today in the Cactus League 5-3...a 2-0 spring start...BTW they face the White and Cubs next week in Arizona...Big numbers of people in line on the first day of single game regular season ticket sales Saturday, at both Dodger and Angel Stadiums.

Looks like we're headed for another season of close to seven million major league baseball tickets sold in the greater Southern California area. Tremendous!!!
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 03-04-2006 at 08:23 PM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am watching channel 9 in Chicago, and the Cubs are on. It is a good feeling. It's always a little strange watching your first games, because of new players, new lineups.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Meantime even with the promise of spring, there's sad news in baseball...

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Former Minnesota Twins center fielder Kirby Puckett had a stroke at his Arizona home Sunday and was taken to a hospital for surgery, the team announced from its spring training camp.

The 44-year-old Puckett, who led Minnesota to World Series titles in 1987 and 1991 and is a member of the Hall of Fame, was taken to a Scottsdale hospital.
    "The Minnesota Twins and major league baseball ask fans to keep Kirby and his family in their thoughts and prayers," the team said in a statement.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2355333

Kirby Puckett is a class act. I loved him as a player for his eternal optimism and passion for the game. His game 6 homer in that 1991 World Series with the Braves is a great moment from one of the all-time best World Series.

I'm sure I speak for a lot of folks in saying that thoughts and prayers are with him today.

Thank you,

Barry

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

This morning, Kirby Puckett is in critical condition. Say a prayer for Kirby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast