• Circle of Ancients

Prime Ticket is back!!!!

All you old timers will recall that before the days of Fox Sports there was Prime Ticket. This was basically the Fox Sports of the 80's and early 90's. When FSN started Prime Ticket went away.

Well, I'm pleased to announce that as of April 3rd, Fox Sports West 2 will be called Prime Ticket.

It's a blast from the past and just thinking about it is brining back alot of good memories:

The Lakers with Magic and Kareem
    The Dodgers with Orel and Fernando
    The Kings with Gretzky

Here is an article:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...=Breaking+News

Proving the adage, “Everything old is new again,” FSN will rebrand its second Western-states regional sports channel, readopting the “Prime Ticket” name the service wore in the 1980s and 1990s.

FSN West 2 will be rechristened FSN Prime Ticket April 3. The channel -- which Liberty Sports LLC acquired from its original owners, cable-industry pioneer Bill Daniels and Jerry Buss, owner of the National Basketball Association’s Los Angeles Lakers -- was known as Prime Ticket before Fox purchased it and dropped the name in favor of the Fox Sports Net brand in November 1996.

Although both FSN West and FSN West 2 carry marquee sports -- including Los Angeles Dodgers and Angels Major League Baseball games (the “Halos” have reportedly reached a 10-year, $500 million renewal deal with the two services); Los Angeles Kings and Anaheim Mighty Ducks National Hockey League action; Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers NBA tilts; and college sports, among other fare -- there was some feeling of inequity because of the names. FSN spokeswoman Jennifer Johnson said the names gave the sense that FSN West was “better” than network No. 2.
    Network officials conducted a Web poll late last year and found that consumers remembered the Prime Ticket name fondly. They also responded that the name evoked excitement and professionalism.
    Other possible names that were considered: Fox Sports West Southern California or Fox Sports Los Angeles. Those were rejected, though, because the network did not want to alienate teams nor isolate viewers. The network is distributed to Nevada and Hawaii in addition to Southern California.

The renaming will coincide with Dodgers’ opening day, April 3. The switch will occur one hour before game time, when the channel will debut a new show, Dodgers Live. Each sport will get the “live’ treatment, with the set color-coded with the team colors. In addition to the name change, the network will beef up its original-programming slate.

Teaser billboards boasting, “The Ticket is Coming,” began appearing in Los Angeles Feb. 6. On March 4, the billboards will explain the name change.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Prime Ticket is back!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    All you old timers will recall that before the days of Fox Sports there was Prime Ticket. This was basically the Fox Sports of the 80's and early 90's. When FSN started Prime Ticket went away.

Well, I'm pleased to announce that as of April 3rd, Fox Sports West 2 will be called Prime Ticket.

It's a blast from the past and just thinking about it is brining back alot of good memories:

The Lakers with Magic and Kareem
    The Dodgers with Orel and Fernando
    The Kings with Gretzky
    This is truly good news, Gregg - and it harkens back to a time when, gulp, you didn't have 60 games a week available on television.

For the Lakers and Kings you had to (gulp again) listen to the RADIO (at least for home games) and while Bob Miller's always been great, the Kings were on some radio stations that at times, it really made you have to be a dedicated fan to listen.

Prior to Prime Ticket you'd see a Laker home game occasionally only on network TV. And does anyone else remember "ON", the subscription channel with the decoder box? They had 4-5 Laker, King, Dodger and Angel "home" games a month.

(BTW...If Walter O'Malley knew how many Dodger home games are being shown on either "free tv" or basic cable these days - ALL of them - he'd be rolling in his grave...)

Of course it took my cable system almost ten years to add Prime Ticket (I am soooo much a DirecTV guy for the last six years)...

Anyway, somewhere I know Chick Hearn is smiling...it's in the refrigerator, baby...the door's closed, the light's out, the eggs are coolin', the butter's getting hard and the JELLO'S JIGGLIN...
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 03-03-2006 at 11:02 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.