•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Being a Baseball Fan in Chicago. Do You Believe in Curses?

The White Sox winning the World Series last year was the greatest thing to happen to Chicago, since the domination of Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls.

Chicago is one of very few cities that has 2 baseball teams. It is very hard at the moment to be a Cubs fan. When you listen to sports broadcasts, the Cubs are many times referred to as the team with the curse. The only team left that has not lifted their curse.

I don't know if I believe in this curse thing. I do know, that I have to admit that the year they almost made it to the World Series, I was watching the game, on pins and needles, and kept thinking. Don't blow it now. Don't let anything bad happen. Please. Well, I believe that some of us Cub fans have been disappointed so many times, that we just do not feel deep down inside, that it will ever happen.

I root for both teams. The Cubs are called lovable losers. The Sox have the bragging rights for the moment. Will that ever change? Can't answer that. That's why they play the game. Should be an interesting season on both sides of town.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Being a Baseball Fan in Chicago. Do You Believe in Curses?

I know that there are other more talked about curses, but for many years I have felt that my Angels were a cursed franchise...some called it the Curse of the Cowboy, since Gene Autry owned the team from its inception until he died in 1998 (he sold part ownership to Disney a couple of years before that).

From 1961-1998, Gene tried and tried to get his team to a World Series, and nothing worked n matter how much money he spent.

I won't go into any more boring detail than usual but in the 60's and 70's a littany of Angel stars, minor leaguers and prospects were injured and even killed in very bizarre circumstances.

Case in point...outfielder Lyman Bostock - who in the late 70's was a prime free agent signing. In September 1978 - with the team playing in Chicago, he was shot and killed while riding in a car in Gary, Indiana when he was mistaken for someone else.

Then of course, the playoff near-misses and disasters of 1982 and especially 1986...(Anaheim, game 5 ALCS, one strike away...Donnie Moore/Dave Henderson...need I say more)?

I felt sad that he didn't get to witness the 2002 celebration from his usual box at the stadium. But his wife, Jackie, was there...and I'm sure Gene had a better seat than all of us.

Thank you for your consideration,

Barry

Ps...For those that didn't know, in 1960 Gene Autry owned Golden West Broadcasters and KMPC 710 radio (which he sold in 1994). He went to the American League meetings in Boston that year just to acquire radio rights for the new team. He came out owning the team!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I used to joke that if The Cubs and the Red Sox played in the World Series that the world would come to an end. But now that the Red Sox have won the world's championship, I guess the Cubbies could too.

I'm a Cubs fan, too. 2003 was a gut wrenching year. It took me a while to see past the frustration and realize that Steve Bartman was not to blame for the Cubs defeat, it was the team itself. I will remain a loyal Cub fan (hey, they're the lovable losers, aren't they) and continue to say 'wait 'til next year' probably until the rest of my life. That said, having lived in the L.A. area for 20 years now, I do enjoy the Dodgers and Angels.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Chicago Cub fans are some of the most loyal fans in baseball. Every year, they sell out the ballpark for almost every game. People love going to Wrigley Field. I really think that they are trying to put a winning product on the field. It just seems they are always just not good enough. Some people believe that the fans should stay away, because the team has not been successful. That's not loyalty. I personally do not visit Wrigley, because its too hard to get a decent seat. Prices, are too high. I watch and listen to as many games as I can.

Sox fans are a different breed. They show up in numbers, in relation to the teams record. The better the record at the moment, the more fans at the park.

I just don't know how a billy goat, or a black cat, or a fan touching a foul ball has a direct influence on the score of a ballgame.

Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    I just don't know how a billy goat, or a black cat, or a fan touching a foul ball has a direct influence on the score of a ballgame.
    It doesn't. Having good ballplayers killed in traffic accidents, swimming pool accidents and by mistaken gunshots does, however, as did happen frequently to the Angels in their early years.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

I remember the year Kenny Hubbs died.

Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Another Steve Bartman article in the Chicago Sun Times. Does the Chicago media ever quit? Sometimes I feel they need to blame the Cubs failure on something other than just bad baseball.

Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    Another Steve Bartman article in the Chicago Sun Times. Does the Chicago media ever quit? Sometimes I feel they need to blame the Cubs failure on something other than just bad baseball.
    People who blame that poor man for the Cubs loss that year are, for want of a better word, idiots.

A) There were lots of other fans going after the ball at the same time.

B) He wasn't on the field for the comedy of errors, bad pitches and bad plays that followed in that inning.

C) And couldn't it just be, that the Florida Marlins were just a better team that year? They went on to beat the Yankees in the World Series. As a game manager, I'd take Jack McKeon over Dusty Baker any time. (We Angels fans are thinking of building a permanent shrine to old Dusty for his mis-management of Game 6 in 2002).

Thank you,

Barry

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    People who blame that poor man for the Cubs loss that year are, for want of a better word, idiots.

A) There were lots of other fans going after the ball at the same time.

B) He wasn't on the field for the comedy of errors, bad pitches and bad plays that followed in that inning.

C) And couldn't it just be, that the Florida Marlins were just a better team that year? They went on to beat the Yankees in the World Series. As a game manager, I'd take Jack McKeon over Dusty Baker any time. (We Angels fans are thinking of building a permanent shrine to old Dusty for his mis-management of Game 6 in 2002).

Thank you,

Barry
    The part that I want to reply to is part C. I said that exact thing to my husband after the Cubs team blew their cool. They got beat by a better team.

I did watch the World Series that year, and I rooted for the Marlins all the way. Most Cub fans couldn't bear to watch. When the Cubs keep breaking your heart, over and over again, it makes some fans really and truly believe that the Cubs are cursed.

Pop Century Resort