Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Song of the South Being Released Fall 2006!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    I have seen it and there is not even a hint of racism as some people have suggested. I think they are reading far too much into it because all I saw was a very good classic Disney movie.

That'd be like saying Mary Poppins is a feminist movie because the main character is a woman...it just doesn't make any sense to say stuff that isn't there. And if someone thinks THIS movie is racist, take a look at what black actors were doing in the 1940's. If they were even allowed into a movie, they were playing slaves or servants. That's not racist, that's factual history...bad as it is, that doesn't mean it never happened.
    Well apparently some one found it offensive back then and boycotted it. That is why it has never been released here in the states on VHS or DVD

Quote Originally Posted by quasimodo1384
    there is a difference between a movie being set in a historical time period, and a movie having a blatant theme. Mary Poppins was set during the Suffragette time, and so they put that into the movie. But that's not what Mary Poppins is about by ANY means! If you're going to pick a song to sum up MP, at least pick "Feed the Birds" for crying out loud.

Same thing with SotS. It is set in a TIME period. People ignore the fact that it is based on a book that was written IN that time period, and also (correct me if I'm wrong) the fact that this movie not only employed Disney’s first live actor...but that that actor was African American.
    But now we live in a politically correct world and we must revise all history so as not to offend anyone.

• Directly directed

I want this movie so bad. My dad saw it in theaters and doesn't even remember it. I have all the Uncle Remus books and I have read all of the original stories. Now I want Spalsh Mountain to make sense in another way.

Well it's my understanding that the reason some people cry racism about this movie is not that it potrays slavery, which is (sadly) part of the history of this country. My understanding is that the slaves are portrayed in this movie as happy go lucky and having no problem being slaves. If that is so the cries of racism have to be not that slaves are in the movie, but their portrayal is innaccurate and glosses over a horrible part of our history.

That being said, I would very much like to see Song of the South, I think I've seen it before, or at least clips but I'd like to see the whole thing. I'm a huge fan of the Disney Treasures set and of old archival music and video in general (i.e. The Smithsonian Recording of Leadbelly). The movie is a part of American and Disney cultural history and should be restored and archived. I think though if this movie ever sees DVD it will be part of the Disney Treasures set which is known for being fairly faithful to the original footage/material.

• Bear Country Refugee

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought this movie was set in the latter half of the 19th century (bases on the clothing styles), after the Civil War. I never thought Uncle Remus was a slave.
    "The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion. " -George Washington

• Disney Memory Maker

Mr Iger just announced it at the Shareholder meeting.... there are no plans to re-release SotS anytime in the forseeable future (because of the controversial issues).
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Huh?

You know, I don't think that it would actually have as much trouble as people are thinking to release it...

Floyd Norman did some experiments by inviting an all-black audience to several showings to see if the tales were true -- they all loved the film and found no problem with it. Probably partially because they had an understanding of the time.

I see this all the time... the people I work with, etc. They all love the film and wish they could see it again.

I have a strong feeling that most of the objections are coming from old white guys, for the most part. They're too afraid that they might offend. However, all they need to do is look and see that many of those that they think they're offending aren't being offended!

There are still a few... but overall, I don't think the NAACP is going to boycott and I don't think many will take them seriously if they do.
    -Tim

• Banned User

i already posted this comment on another thread but will gladly repeat it. Thank heavens ted turner wasn't concerned with political correctness, otherwise I would never have my collector's edition of Gone with the Wind. and then there was the famous betty davis movie jezebel. Both were set in the south either before or during the civil war. I don't see any racism in SOTS. but even so it's the perfect movie to show what was and just how far we have come.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    Mr Iger just announced it at the Shareholder meeting.... there are no plans to re-release SotS anytime in the forseeable future (because of the controversial issues).
    I think that there was a mis communication in the first post. I bet that Blockbuster is releasing the rumored SOTS sequel in '06.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    You know, I don't think that it would actually have as much trouble as people are thinking to release it...

Floyd Norman did some experiments by inviting an all-black audience to several showings to see if the tales were true -- they all loved the film and found no problem with it. Probably partially because they had an understanding of the time.

I see this all the time... the people I work with, etc. They all love the film and wish they could see it again.

I have a strong feeling that most of the objections are coming from old white guys, for the most part. They're too afraid that they might offend. However, all they need to do is look and see that many of those that they think they're offending aren't being offended!

There are still a few... but overall, I don't think the NAACP is going to boycott and I don't think many will take them seriously if they do.
    If my sources are correct, wasn't NAACP the primary group that first boycotted the film when it was first released?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Here is a quote from the second link in the first post:

SONG OF THE SOUTH 60th Anniversary DVD rumored for Fall 2006!
    It is just a rumor that Iger killed off this morning by sayin it will not be released. Amazon needs to update their list.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fantasmicrazy
    this is true. Song of the South was never released in America do to racial issues. I have seen the movie, in my eyes it was one of Disney's worst films ever. When you see it you're in for a total shocker
    Well, they can't all be classics like Hunchback or Pocahontas, but what are you gonna do ?

As I've stated in seemingly countless other threads, IMHO it's just a nice movie, with characters of many colors. Disney has kept it hidden because it's just not "politically correct" enough.

And again, Disney doesn't seem to mind profiting from the soundtrack of this "worst film". They don't mind profiting from an attraction based on the movie that they're basically saying doesn't exist.

I'll believe it's being officially released, when I see it.

Can't we all just get along?

"My Oh My What A Wonderful Day...Plenty Of Sunshine, Heading My Way..."

Thank you,

Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 03-11-2006 at 05:07 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Thurl,gone,not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenb52
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/lis...Fencoding=UTF8
    SONG OF THE SOUTH 60th Anniversary DVD rumored for Fall 2006!

OHHHH... don't let us down, please please please turn this from a rumor into reality!
    you should note it's taking a poll of potential buyer there.to convince Disney to release.Only if Disney can get Jesse Jackson,NAACP and the like to endorse it's release will it happen.Maybe if they add a special feature about the way blacks were portrayed in movies and the fact that the star of the movie couldn't attend the premier,do to lack of black accepting hotels in Atlanta might convince black leaders to accept a release.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by fantasmicrazy
    this is true. Song of the South was never released in America do to racial issues. I have seen the movie, in my eyes it was one of Disney's worst films ever. When you see it you're in for a total shocker
    I own this movie on DVD that I burned myself and it was by far one of the best in my collection. I am proud to own it and would recommend it to everyone. It was by far the most funny Disney classic I have ever seen. Brer Bear and Brer Fox were just hilarious. I tried extremely hard to find any racial problems in the movie and they are so minor that it was laughable how rediculous this ban was. Frankly I was very disappointed at Iger because of what he said. This company was made on risk and this decision that he claims they are taking is absolutely the opposite.
    Last edited by Disneyfreak; 03-13-2006 at 08:33 PM.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    Take the racial binoculars off and look at the real story and quality of the movie.
    I have a feeling that's exactly what he's talking about. I have never seen the movie in full myself, but from many people I have heard from, the movie is highly overrated and at times, quite boring. But never seeing the movie myself, that may not be entirely true for me (and of course, it's all personal opinion).
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast