Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Interesting comment by John Lasseter at the Stockholder Meeting

John Lasseter is presently addressing the stockholder meeting, and talked about making the timing of new rides to match up with movie premieres.

This is something Universal did with Jurassic Park at USH. They actually started building the attraction before any filming for the movie was done.

I think it is a smart move, as you can do more cross-promotion.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• time to go

Re: Interesting comment by John Lasseter at the Stockholder Meeting

"And I get to make theme park rides!!!"

Go, John, GO!!

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

What's the word? Synergy, I think. If the film is a success, everyone wins. However, if the film tanks, you're stuck with something like the Waterworld Stunt Show for several years. Pixar has a pretty good track record. I wonder if this means he wants a Cars attraction greenlit before its release. Or, perhaps there's something even further down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    John Lasseter is presently addressing the stockholder meeting, and talked about making the timing of new rides to match up with movie premieres.

This is something Universal did with Jurassic Park at USH. They actually started building the attraction before any filming for the movie was done.

I think it is a smart move, as you can do more cross-promotion.

In John we trust.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy
    "And I get to make theme park rides!!!"

Go, John, GO!!

• Disney Memory Maker

I don't get it. Michael Eisner says he wants to make attractions based on movies (even before the movie comes out) and everyone b****** about it. John Lasseter says the same thing and everyone's like "All praise John." What's the deal with that?
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Just a guess:

Movies during John's tenure at Pixar - Toy Story, A Bugs Life, Monsters, Inc.

Recent film's at the end of Eisner's helm - Chicken Little, um-uh, hmmm, Herbie Rides Again, um, and other memorable 'classics.'

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    I don't get it. Michael Eisner says he wants to make attractions based on movies (even before the movie comes out) and everyone b****** about it. John Lasseter says the same thing and everyone's like "All praise John." What's the deal with that?

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I'm all for new rides but it'd be nice to have some NON movie based rides for a change.

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by fastpassmountain
    What's the word? Synergy, I think. If the film is a success, everyone wins. However, if the film tanks, you're stuck with something like the Waterworld Stunt Show for several years. Pixar has a pretty good track record. I wonder if this means he wants a Cars attraction greenlit before its release. Or, perhaps there's something even further down the line.
    I doubt it'll be cars... at least not in the US.

I'm thinking he's talking about something for maybe the next movie.

So far, there's only been one Pixar movie with a permanent attraction opening before the movie does: A Bug's Life. Great attraction.

Compare that to the last "great" attraction that was based on a movie that wasn't out yet: Countdown to Extintction/Dinosaur. I doubt that one will be cloned.

(Dinosaur/Countdown to Extinction was a very big letdown for me the first time I rode it. I was really looking forward to riding this more than any other ride at DAK. Got on, found it to be just a very bumpy car ride with bad timing. Very much didn't immerse you in the world of the ride. I really hope they get around to retooling the ride at some point.)
    -Tim

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    I'm all for new rides but it'd be nice to have some NON movie based rides for a change.
    It would, but every time there's a non-movie based attraction lately, the general public isn't exactly thrilled about it.

Take a look at the Tomorrowland Interplanetary Convention Center and the Tomorrowland Metropolitan Science Center. Two great attractions were in those two buildings when the Tomorrow That Never Was opened up in 1994. Less than 10 years later, both attractions are gone.
    -Tim

•   
    • Minion

There is also a HUGE differance between Eisner's involvment directing a synergistic attraction at the theme parks... And having it come from Lassiter...
    Check out my other blog:

• Huh?

tp:Yes... I'm sure with Lasseter on board, we can even get a GREAT attraction from a largely forgotten movie or show.

*crossing fingers, hoping for that Dinosaurs remake of Dinosaur...* (Hmmm... instead of riding around in a bumpy car, we can ride around in Ethel's wheelchair!)
    -Tim

• Banned User

first of all they are not rides they are attractions. and I think it's a waste of time and money to base attactions on movies. To me that's not really creative it's a cop out. walt had an imagination and created great attactions that were'nt based on movies. Annimated movie based attractions belong in one land.. fantasyland. while I tolerate buzz being in tommorrowland and I love splash mountain I have made my feelings well known. don't turn tommorrowland into pixarland. if you want to do that,,, tear down toontown and build it there in anaheim and in toontown fair at MK.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95
    first of all they are not rides they are attractions. and I think it's a waste of time and money to base attactions on movies. To me that's not really creative it's a cop out. walt had an imagination and created great attactions that were'nt based on movies.

Well, Walt's Fantasyland must have been a REAL dissapointment to you...
    Check out my other blog:

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95
    first of all they are not rides they are attractions
    I used the term "rides" since that was the term that John Lasseter.

Disney used the term "ride" in its promotion of the new Monsters, Inc. attraction.

That said, one stockholder made a point (instead of a question) that the term "ride" should not be used in the future....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by fastpassmountain
    Just a guess:

Movies during John's tenure at Pixar - Toy Story, A Bugs Life, Monsters, Inc.

Recent film's at the end of Eisner's helm - Chicken Little, um-uh, hmmm, Herbie Rides Again, um, and other memorable 'classics.'
    Mr. Eisner talked about making attractions about the same movies John Lasseter talked about. (and btw, you missed two little movies called Pirates of the Caribbean & Narnia ).
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast