Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

no song of the south

was just listening to the shareholder's meeting and mr Iger answered one of the questions that Song of the south won't be released any time soon.
    I love song of the south and it's a shame that like hucklberry finn, we have to be so politically correct.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Angry Re: no song of the south

Wow...is this the only instance of being politically Correct hurting the pocketbook? Look at all the potential dollars out there that are being made on the black market for SOTS? I've even seen local mom-and-pop record stores selling copies. Oh and you know that one day the movie will be posted on a site like Youtube and then Disney will have to release it or risk a backlash if they don't relase it following a suit to get it removed from that website.

I want to wait until it comes out legally. However if that isn't going to happen in my lifetime, I might as well purchase it on the black market. Most of my CD's have been bought that way-because that's how much of the 50's music is comercially available.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Re: no song of the south

How sad. This may be the only Disney movie I won't get to see that I want to see.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Are they still making the rumored sequel to it?

• wasting time

I made a post about this in the Entertainment forum.

A friend of mine works for the company that restores Disney's movies. She's worked on Bambi, Cinderella, Lady & The Tramp, and recently 101 Dalmatians. On the list of Disney films to be restored by her & her co-workers is Song Of The South. From what I've been told & observed, if restoration work were to begin just now the EARLIEST the film would be released on home video is 4th quarter 2007. So if Iger said SOTS is not being released anytime soon, he's right. It'll most likely be released in 2008 and that's not anytime soon.

• Banned User

he said that he recently screened the movie because he hadn't seen it in several years and while he knows there are fans of the movie.. It would cause too much contreversy to release it. I am sure glad that Ted turner didn't think it was too risky to release gone with the wind. another sothern classic.

http://disneysongofthesouth.com/id1.html

Here is another site with Song of the South, but what appears to be a sequel or related film, (it's on the order dvd page (below the sots picture and above captain eo)

• Practically Perfect

I don't think there's a sequel in the works, but there is a spin off that Universal is doing. Which makes me all sorts of mad and confused...Here's the IMDB listing.

I have my bootleg (like many people do) but it's the best quality and I was hoping it would see a more public release. I guess we'll just have to keep on waiting...

• Married and happy again!!

It's a damn shame that we must be so pc all the time. The Song Of The South is a masterpiece and deserves to realeased again. It makes me sick way we try to rewrite how history was to make it more acceptable to people these days. So the film may be contraversial by todays pc world so what! Much like a classic like Huck Finn this film too has a place in this world and it needs to be reralesed. You know it isn't any diffrent than how WB treats some of it's earlier not so pc cartoons (especially most WWII cartoons and cartoons that portrayed any type of stereotyps at all). I saw one really recent on cartoon network. It was one where a young porkey pig was suposed to go to church and his mom gives him money for the collection plate and he ends up smoking with a local bully. They removed the black face singing match sequence because of it not being pc(but they left in the stereotype of the native american imagine that). Heck i'm surprised to even see it on the seeing how smoking is now so unpc it's not even funny. So I won't be surprised if SOTS never see's the light of day again and is locked away in the Disney vault. Or if it is seen it will sadly be heavily edited. I hope not but that is my fear.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicalover
    It's a damn shame that we must be so pc all the time. The Song Of The South is a masterpiece and deserves to realeased again. It makes me sick way we try to rewrite how history was to make it more acceptable to people these days. So the film may be contraversial by todays pc world so what!
    Today's Disney? Politically Correct? Wow, that never even occured to me... Golly gee!

Of course they should release Song Of the South. It's a classic film, with characters of all colors and and a good message. And it's kind of hypocritical for Disney to profit from the soundtrack of a movie that they are too embarrassed to embrace.

And I'll believe that it's being officially released...when I see it. Not before.

Thank you,

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95
    was just listening to the shareholder's meeting and mr Iger answered one of the questions that Song of the south won't be released any time soon.
    I love song of the south and it's a shame that like hucklberry finn, we have to be so politically correct.
    Politically correct has turned into "revisionist history" where when what happened is no longer PC, or is "inconvenient" we just ignore it or worse yet, re-write history to pretend it never happened.

I heard and believe that "those who ignore the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it's mistakes". Seems to me that this includes those who try to be too PC and those who pretend something never happend, or re-write history to make things more convenient.

Just MHO, YMMV,

CU@DL

Andy

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by pancakesaregood
    Here is another site with Song of the South, but what appears to be a sequel or related film, (it's on the order dvd page (below the sots picture and above captain eo)
    This is another bootleg. From seeing this copy on eBay, I know that the hidden easter egg on it (as well as on most of the bootlegs) is the Warner Bros. cartoon that definately does play on nothing but stereotypes, Coal Black and de Seben Dwarbs (or however it was spelled).

So Dear to My Heart has nothing to do with Song of the South. It was not a sequel. The only thing they have in common: the two kids.
    -Tim

• Super saucy pixie!

Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL
    Politically correct has turned into "revisionist history" where when what happened is no longer PC, or is "inconvenient" we just ignore it or worse yet, re-write history to pretend it never happened.

I heard and believe that "those who ignore the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it's mistakes". Seems to me that this includes those who try to be too PC and those who pretend something never happend, or re-write history to make things more convenient.

Just MHO, YMMV,

CU@DL

Andy
    Very well said!
    Honestly, I have never found there to be anything wrong with SOTS. My husband is African American and neither he nor his (large) family even finds anything wrong with it. I never understood what the hoopla was. To me it's not much different than Gone With the Wind. It is a part of our cultural history and imo should not be erased due to today's "standards". Let's be serious here... the 1940s were entirely different than 2006. I mean, what CAN'T you see on television or in movies now. It's complete BS to me that this is withheld when South Park (for an animation example) is still such a popular thing.
    Ah, when it comes down to it... if you don't like it, don't buy it.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

I got additional confirmation from my contact at Buena Vista Home Entertainment. According to him, there is "nothing on any of our radars here" for a SOTS release.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim
    I got additional confirmation from my contact at Buena Vista Home Entertainment. According to him, there is "nothing on any of our radars here" for a SOTS release.
    Once again, how very sad. And how very predictable.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast