Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    hehe- I am getting paid to see it - TWICE
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    hehe- I am getting paid to see it - TWICE
    Ok, ok, go ahead and gloat about it...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries
    WOW.

Quick verdict: Fans of the franchise DON'T PANIC! Purests and people with nothing better to do than talk about things like how Captain Kirks toupee shifts slightly between cuts in episode 243b of Star Trek, however, will find a few things changed.

I have waited for this film since I read it in high school. I pictured everything since I am a cinephile with a very visual imagination. My expectations where high since this was the first book to make me laugh out loud. Would the people who ended up making this movie have the same passion for the source material? Would they pack in as many details as possible so as not to lose the tone of the humor? Would they be able to capture the random inexplicable, and improbableness of it all? Well I think they did a darn good job.

The Film begins with stock footage of dolphins doing tricks for an audience. It is explained that these tricks were actually attempts by the dolphins to tell the humans that the Earth would soon be destroyed to build a hypergalactic freeway. Of course the humans never got the message, but through a cleverly subversive credit sequence of dancing dolphins conveying impending doom we are treated to a wonderful song, "So long and thanks for all the fish". Arthur Dent is our protaganist who is told by his best friend Ford Prefect that very same message. It is only after the two have hitchhiked onto a demolition spaceship that Arthur gets the idea. I won't sit here and summarize the plot. Those who have read the books already know it, and if the last paragraph interested you, you should just go see it. This is a very good, very funny adaptation of the book The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Yes there are changes. For instance, a romance between Arthur and Trillian is fully pronouced and used as a story arch. But you must expect things like that from a book that is translated into a 1hr and 45 min. movie. Things are compressed, abreviated and somehow the film has to "end". You must also understand that Douglas Adams, the author of all the Hitchiker's books, worked on an earlier version of the script for this film before his death. Many of the changes may have actually come from him as he was worse at changing things he'd already written than George Lucas himself.

The cast is spot on perfect. A particular stand out is Sam Rockwell as Zaphod Beeblebrox. Mos Def was amusing as Ford Prefect. Alan Rickman was the voice of the perpetualy depressed robot Marvin and had our group laughing at every depressed utterance. The effects were, for the most part, excellent. Afew of the effects involving Zaphods other appendeges were a little rough, but you buy them. The production design, was, again, next to perfect. The Vogons, from Jim Hensons Creature shop were astounding and entirely too funny.

I sat watching the movie breathlessy anticipating what would come next, but was a little jealous of my friends who were with me. They had never read the book, they were totally unfamiliar with the storyline, they were being pulled along for the first time into Douglas Adams bizarre world of improbabilty and unrelated cooincidences in the universe. I was wondering if they were getting it, if they understood what was happening. Were they having as good a time as I was? It was then that my friend to my left leaned over and said "Man this is what Star Wars (Episodes I and II) should have been like.". I knew then that they were all getting it and that there might be a good chance that we'll get to see what's going on at The Resturant at the end of the Universe.
    Last edited by Fishbulb; 04-27-2005 at 05:32 PM.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    cool! I will definitely make sure I see all of this one! Thanks for your assessment

Do you MiceChat?

DMCA for life, yo.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbulb
    I knew then that they were all getting it and that there might be a good chance that we'll get to see what's going on at The Resturant at the end of the Universe.
    I hope so... I only hope so...

Thanks for the review...
    Check out my other blog:

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbulb
    WOW.

Quick verdict: Fans of the franchise DON'T PANIC! Purests and people with nothing better to do than talk about things like how Captain Kirks toupee shifts slightly between cuts in episode 243b of Star Trek, however, will find a few things changed.
    Kirk's toupee NEVER shifts!

Of course, he didn't need one in the original series days. Nor was there ever an episode 243b... OK, maybe I am one of those people!
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Banned User

HEHE... So it is completely based on the first book... can anyway say Sequel??

(bringing the odd trillogy to life?? 4 books.... (or was it 5??)

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986

It was 5 and a short story... of course I will have to harm someone if they even try to make Mostly Harmless (Which was actually Mostly Awfull) But what do you expect when you have to write a book to honor a book deal?

I can't wait to see the "art of flying"... That is going to be fun...

Or even better yet, the Rain God...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by figment1986

It ended up being five books and a short story.
    -The Hitchikers guide to the Galaxy
    -The Restaurant at the end if the Universe
    -Life the Universe and Everything
    -So Long and Thanks for all the Fish
    -Young Zaphod Plays it Safe.(a short story)
    -Mostly Harmless

You must understand, however, that it was first a radio play, then it was published as a book, then there was a BBC production of it (Which, incidentally you can purchase on DVD), then finally this movie.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    The radio plays are wonderful- I highly reccommend them

Do you MiceChat?

DMCA for life, yo.

•   
    • Minion

And the Radio play actually comprised of the first two books... which really is one book... Thus a widely inaccurate trillogy with 4 books, one short story, and a contractual obligation book...
    Check out my other blog:

•   
    • Minion

There is a rumor in the Financial Times that Disney is interested in picking up more Hitchhiker films... I am going to see if Variety picked up this story...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    I guess that all depends on how well the first movie does. But wouldn't it be wonderful.

Talk about your perfect new theme for Tomorrowland. I can just imagine a hamburger stand at the end of the universe.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    I guess that all depends on how well the first movie does. But wouldn't it be wonderful.

Talk about your perfect new theme for Tomorrowland. I can just imagine a hamburger stand at the end of the universe.
    Big Bang Burger Bar?
    Check out my other blog:

• BPF's Best Friend

I agree. I didn't see Marvin with such a bubbly head. He looks too...disney. Sorry that offends everyone here but he's too rounded and cartoonish I think. We'll see what I think after tomorrow night when I see the movie with BPF!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast