Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Not a fan of the books, and I thought this film was just ok. Not a funny as I thought it would be. But I gave it a shot. All I have to say is SAM ROCKWELL rocks! He saved this movie. (With Alan Rickman help )

I don't get the whole hitchikers guide thing. Not my type of humor I guess.

•   
    • Minion

Here is my take on the film

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Spyglass Pictures - Touchstone Pictures

I need to start of saying that I am a fan of the radio play, the books, the tv miniseries. And I for one am a little disappointed in this film...

I don't know if the problem is the screenplay that Douglas Addams was working on upon his death, or if it happened in the editing room. But there was an element of humor that was taken out of the film... And I think it was taken out for expediance of making the movie focus on a plot line rather than the humor that did this movie a disservice.

I left the theatre with a profound sense of the pieces central Irony... which is great, but the little comic bits that made these characters more charming was gone... No body explained the importance of a towel. No body explained the fact that Earth is relitively insignificant blue green planet that is "harmless" at best and "mostly harmless" at worst... And the whole issue of how they boarded the vogon constructor fleet was ducked under... They just simply appear in a washroom for no apparent reason...

It doesn't bug me so much to condense so much action into a tighter form... but such gaps leave the viewer completely lost if they don't know the series, and brain dead if they do...

That being said. I liked Marvin... The cinimatographic effects of Magrathea work well too... Ford Prefect was not charming, and the character really needed to be... The whole concept of the Guide being the narrative force of the movie was not well established, instead we got this production number that reminded me more of Richard Cheese on a sugar high induced prozac binge...

I hope there is a directors cut in the works of this film that would restore some of the magic of the original series, because the irony made me feel like someone who sucked on a lemon slerpy... feeling bitter sweet but with a horable case of brain freaze...

But I am still a sucker for the story as it brings back the joys of my youth... I am giving it two ravonous bug blatter beasts out of five... And it is only cuz I am generous... If I wasn't I would have recited my poetry to you first...

------------

On the side note... No body laughed at the Chicken Little trailer... But like I said, I think Valiant has an outside shot at being a surprise hit this summer... Batman Begins looks awesome... Star Wars is going to be a 10 - this is the movie we have been waiting all this time to see, and it is a tragedy because we know what will happen, and we will go in droves to see it happen again, and again, and again... Bad News Bears - Paramount feeds off of the Bad Santa of Billy Bob Thornton... With all due respect to Fess Parker, I still would like to see Billy Bob play Davey Crocket again outside of the Alamo.
    Check out my other blog:

• done

• șoș Tom șoș

This from IMDB.com
    A Five Part Trilogy?

Could The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy become a "trilogy in five parts" like the books? The film, which topped last weekend's box office, is based on the late Douglas Adams's original radio series and subsequent novels, which he described first as a trilogy in four parts, and later as a trilogy in five parts. Although producer Robbie Stamp told today's (Tuesday) Financial Times that he expected that at least three Hitchhiker movies will be produced, Disney exec Robert Mitchell would only say, in an interview with BBC News, that sequels were "a possibility given the wealth of source material, although no decision had yet been made."

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

"Hitchhikers" zooms to top of British Box Office

Reuters.co.uk
    is reporting that "Hitchhikers" was the number one movie in the UK also- good to see it made a strong showing overseas!l
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Diamond In The Rough

And The BBC reports that HitchHikers Guide took Ł4.2 million over the May Day Holiday weekend here in the UK .
    What are the chances of that exact figure being it's four day box office take?

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries
    thats kind of freaky, but also really really cool
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

•   
    • Minion

Thinking about it more... Hitchhikers is absurdist... And the movie made the story more realistic... I don't know if the director realized this... American absurdism is not exactly a popular artform... Even if it is Comedy...
    Check out my other blog:

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    Thinking about it more... Hitchhikers is absurdist... And the movie made the story more realistic... I don't know if the director realized this... American absurdism is not exactly a popular artform... Even if it is Comedy...
    I think thats a vast problem plaguing America...not a problem with the director. We get our jollies watching some guys from the south make jokes about gravy and bad fart jokes (see also Blue Collar Tv...on second thought don't also see it)

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    I think thats a vast problem plaguing America...not a problem with the director. We get our jollies watching some guys from the south make jokes about gravy and bad fart jokes (see also Blue Collar Tv...on second thought don't also see it)
    What I am saying is... That as a movie, it avoids it's absurdist roots which is a popular art form in post WWII England...

As a director that tanted the production of the film, and made it less of a film... There was way too much realism in the film, is what I am trying to say... Dent became too charming, Ford became a basket case... It's suppose to be the otherway around...

I can see why they aren't going to make the fourth book into a movie... It is a love story between Arthur and someone other than Trillian... Rather that woman sitting at a cafe in rickmansworth who solved the earth's problems... also not stated in the movie...

Sigh...

They fit the part about the galatic fleet and the small dog... But no mention of why towels are important...
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

What I am saying is... That as a movie, it avoids it's absurdist roots which is a popular art form in post WWII England...

As a director that tanted the production of the film, and made it less of a film... There was way too much realism in the film, is what I am trying to say... Dent became too charming, Ford became a basket case... It's suppose to be the otherway around...

I can see why they aren't going to make the fourth book into a movie... It is a love story between Arthur and someone other than Trillian... Rather that woman sitting at a cafe in rickmansworth who solved the earth's problems... also not stated in the movie...

Sigh...

They fit the part about the galatic fleet and the small dog... But no mention of why towels are important...

You know what.. I dont remember the BBC miniseries stating why they are important... (and it was a filler extra for the credits..)

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    No body explained the importance of a towel. No body explained the fact that Earth is relitively insignificant blue green planet that is "harmless" at best and "mostly harmless" at worst...
    On that note- I got my offical Hitchhikers promotional towel in the mail today (one of the perks of working for BV- I get all kinds of fun little marketing leftovers!"

Now I can look super dorky at the beach this summer! (and bonus- something to sit on when I am waiting in line for Star Wars!)
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    On that note- I got my offical Hitchhikers promotional towel in the mail today (one of the perks of working for BV- I get all kinds of fun little marketing leftovers!"
    Oh, yeah... Gloat again!

(I seem to remember posting that they where going to do something like this, didn't I? - I am psychic... They should hire me... )
    Check out my other blog:

I liked the movie a lot. It will probaly me on my 5 best this year (along with Harry Potter4 and Star Wars III)

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries
    42....still.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast