Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy . . . Landing at The El Capitan Theatre, Hollywood April 29th
    Just received the flyer in the mail. April 29th is just around the corner, but there is so little buzz for this film. I have to say that I'm shocked since the books were such a beloved part of my childhood, as I'm sure it was for so many others.

Also in the El Capitan mailer:
    Go behind the scenes . . Check out a collection of genuine props shipped directly from the U.K. movie set. See the real Vogon animatronic characters crafted by the Jim Henson Creature Shop.
    Sounds interesting, and I love hearing that the Jim Henson Creature Shop is involved.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    Just received the flyer in the mail. April 29th is just around the corner, but there is so little buzz for this film. I have to say that I'm shocked since the books were such a beloved part of my childhood, as I'm sure it was for so many others.

There are a couple of interesting photos in the flyer, I'll try to scan and post later.

Also in the El Capitan mailer:

Sounds interesting, and I love hearing that the Jim Henson Creature Shop is involved.
    I heard that the El Capitan promo events are quite good... Ice Princess got a scating rink with activities...

I think Hitchikers should get towels with the logo embroydered on them....
    Check out my other blog:

• Reaver of Souls

Anyone want to set up a MiceChat invasion? I'll be there first or second day!
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Greetings, Program!

Call me a skeptic, but I don't think this looks nearly as entertaining as the book was.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizmo2000
    Call me a skeptic, but I don't think this looks nearly as entertaining as the book was.
    What movie ever made from a book is?

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    What movie ever made from a book is?
    Well, some movies that got it right were "The Dark Half", "Shawshank Redemption", "Green Mile" (seeing a trend?), "Jurassic Park" and "Christine".

Just off the top of me head.

• No bacon; sausage.

There was this little art-house flick that didn't get much attention that I heard was from a book. Lord of something or other.

How dare they schedule this to open the same weekend as Coachella!

Although, I am skeptical as well. Not necessarily because it's from a book, but it's a project that's been bounced around from director to director, and a screenplay that's been rewritten over and over. That rarely results in a good movie, but we can hope.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    The one sign that makes me worry about the movie, is how little we have heard about it. Almost no buzz. It is so strange. Even Disney only has one blog and no official website for the film.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon
    There was this little art-house flick that didn't get much attention that I heard was from a book. Lord of something or other.
    yeah.....wizards or some such stuff.

• Senior Minion

I've only seen the Tv Trailer for the film once. Of Course I don't watch that much TV. Not sure about it, But I will still see a matinee for it.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizmo2000
    Well, some movies that got it right were "The Dark Half", "Shawshank Redemption", "Green Mile" (seeing a trend?), "Jurassic Park" and "Christine".

Just off the top of me head.
    Your tastes run along a different path from mine, my friend... Shawshank and Green Mile were good, I grant you that. GM was even faithful to the book, which is rare. Shawshank was based on a short story, rewritten for a movie. Still, it was good (even with Tim Robbins, who I actually liked in this flick! Wonders never cease!)

Dark Half, on the other hand, I didn't like at all. Jurrasic Park was too Hollywood for me. I'd read the book, and was looking forward to more science than Godzilla. I was just disappointed overall with the whole series. The books were so good...

Christine... Ahhh, the golden day of King films. Right up there with The Shining, Cujo and Carrie. Still one of my favs, and every time I see a Plymouth Fury (which isn't often), I find myself checking my rear view, expecting that beast to come rolling down on me...

While we're in a rut, what about "Secret Window"? I liked it, but I'm a die-hard Depp fan... Dreamcatcher? You know they're making "The Talisman"? An animated feature of "Eyes of the Dragon"? Go for it, I say, just keep your grubby hollywood hands off Roland and his ka-tet... Clint is too old to play him anyway...

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    The one sign that makes me worry about the movie, is how little we have heard about it. Almost no buzz. It is so strange. Even Disney only has one blog and no official website for the film.
    Funny, that. It's like Disney is trying to not push it. Or at least not be associated with it... I have several friends who are fellow Adams nuts, and are totally jazzed about this movie, and when I told them about the El Capitan gig, they were just like "huh?" I told them most Disney premiers are there, and they were just blown away that the Mouse House was holding the reigns on this one. And these were guys who were following it for the last year or so. It's odd.

Alan Rickman is great casting, though. I totally would not have invisioned him in that part, but now that I hear him, it's perfect...

• FastPass n00b

Zaphod Beeblebrox is humanoid in the movie and doesn't look anything like the book described him as. Either it's a cheap cut to save money or this movie is not being true to the book's nonsensical style. Either way, this movie has no chance of meeting expectations.

There is one movie that is an EXACT lift of the book and that movie's called "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." The scenes and dialog are word for word in most cases and the movie itself is very good in its own respect. It's too bad visionary Terry Gilliam is busy filming other projects.

I always equated Hitchhiker's Guide to sort of an Alice In Wonderland in Outer Space and it should be done with the same sort of care and respect that Terry Gilliam showed in recreating the almost-impossible-to-film gonzo journalism of Thompson's book. Unfortunately that doesn't look to be the case here, and I think the book's VERY funny and very subtle and understated humor like towels and 42 will be lost completely.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    Zaphod Beeblebrox is humanoid in the movie and doesn't look anything like the book described him as. Either it's a cheap cut to save money or this movie is not being true to the book's nonsensical style. Either way, this movie has no chance of meeting expectations.
    Well you might say it was ment to be a cheap way out, but as an actor it is increadably impracticle... And you know Eisner cut everyone's production budget last year...

To be honest, I would have rather he spent more money on this movie and less on 80 Days or Hildago... Last year was the summer of the "Disney Western that Couldn't..."

Like I said, if Douglas Addams was alive today this movie would not have been made... But I am encouraged by some of the production photos... the bicycle with square wheels and Marvin looks more like a "plastic pal I would like to be with."

Still I am going to go see it... Just so I can make "Beep Beep" noises while I am walking out of the theatre....
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

The movie would have been made... He wrote the original screen play for the film....

He has had the story slightly altered in each incarnation.....

Like the BBC miniseries... look at trillian.... not as the book described her... thought in the movie i think she is closer to the book.....

The miniseries left out items from the book... like many of the subplots...

The movie will be able to stand on it's own... With it's alterations...

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast