• Santa Barbara, CA

The Iger Sanction!

It looks as though Bob Iger already is doing great things. He is downsizing the strategic planning department (the deal killers) and has removed it's head Peter Murphy. If there is any group the whole company must hate it's these analysts that say "no" to most everything and approved the Fox Family deal.

He wants to decentralize decisions and give them back to the parks (like Matt) and make them responsible. Sounds like "state vs. Federal Government type thing.

I for one, am impressed with his first move!!!! Next Stop, Steve Job's dinner table!!!
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Santa Barbara, CA

Oops! here's a link to the story in the LA Times.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...1,845050.story
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Orville! I may be slowly coming around to liking the idea of this guy. I guess anything really is better than eisner...
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Santa Barbara, CA

He may not be a visionary, but he looks smart enoguh to surround himself with those who may be and not be so personally motivated as Eisner. It is possible that cleaning out that department was a move to blow out anyone involved in the alleged cover up of the fox family deal. Read Disneywar.

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    It looks as though Bob Iger already is doing great things. He is downsizing the strategic planning department (the deal killers) and has removed it's head Peter Murphy. If there is any group the whole company must hate it's these analysts that say "no" to most everything and approved the Fox Family deal.

He wants to decentralize decisions and give them back to the parks (like Matt) and make them responsible. Sounds like "state vs. Federal Government type thing.

I for one, am impressed with his first move!!!! Next Stop, Steve Job's dinner table!!!
    From what I see (which is foggy at best), Murphy simply put bad numbers to projects Eisner didn't like, and put good numbers on projects that Eisner did like.
    Let's not think that he was Roy Sr, reincarnate.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville

The jury is still out on Iger... Clearly anything is better than Eisner who's power was unchecked and was running the company into the ground...

The issue is will he make Disney a content generation company or a content distribution company. Both have draw backs... But it is this pressure that must be addressed.

Clearly, a healthy corporate culture is not a result of "positive financial metrics."
    Check out my other blog:

• Where's my other cent?

Alright, this may be rediculously optimistic, but here goes...

I just finished reading DisneyWar for the second time and I got this crazy idea. When Iger worked for ABC, before the merger, everyone seemed to like him, and the company did pretty well. After he became President of Disney, we pretty much turned into Eisner, Jr. People who had worked with him before even made the comments about the change in his character ("Lost his soul", etc.) He preactically admitted that he was different when he makes the comment about "how hard it is to work for (Eisner)...no idea how important his job is to me." Nothing new here.

Ok, here's the twist. Iger made comments to a reporter after he was named CEO about how much Disney means to him, how he grew up on Disney, is raising his kids on Disney, etc., very un-Eisner, who knew practically nothing about the company when he showed up. Then he goes and kills strategic planning, a very un-Eisner move. So here's what I'm wondering. Is it even remotely possible, that Iger played the Stooge solely to keep Eisner's "confidence" and get himself into the top seat, and now that he's there, return to the old ABC Iger and run the company well?

Yeah it's a stretch, but I'm curious about what folks think.

• Rawr...

Im likeing this idea of yours. It makes me almost as warm and fuzzy as the boulder part of the Indy ride does...
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• I love Florida - and lamp

Let's hope Mr. Iger keeps moving with reform. The parks are looking light years better than they have since the pre-Pressler days; kudos to Matt. Losing Miramax is sort of scary - with it gone, and Pixar potentially on it's way, would we face a Disney future of endless Pooh sequels and Princess Diaries?

While it's good to see ABC looking up, television is so cyclical... Housewives may be up this year, but is it the Millionaire of 2005?

Anyhow, let's keep our fingers crossed. Maybe the Disney Decade was announced a few years early...

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Seatac Toad
    Let's hope Mr. Iger keeps moving with reform. The parks are looking light years better than they have since the pre-Pressler days; kudos to Matt. Losing Miramax is sort of scary - with it gone, and Pixar potentially on it's way, would we face a Disney future of endless Pooh sequels and Princess Diaries?

While it's good to see ABC looking up, television is so cyclical... Housewives may be up this year, but is it the Millionaire of 2005?

Anyhow, let's keep our fingers crossed. Maybe the Disney Decade was announced a few years early...
    Having worked for Miramax and Dimension as an intern all I can say is thank god Miramax is being dropped from the Disney label. Miramax was a black hole for money. A large portion of the money Miramax used to fund artistic films and buy the rights to foreign films came from the lucrative side division of Dimension, which pandered sappy horror films and even sappier comedies that racked in cash. After Weinsten's move last year concerning Fahrenheit 911, removing the Weinsten Brothers from the picture is a blessing for the mouse.

Now if we can dump Fox Family Channel and become lean we might be able ro roar again.

• Minion

Mr. Iger is making some good moves and is starting to earn some of my respect. He'll earn my total respect when he reopens Feature Animation and rehires all of the animators that his stupid ignormaous predecessor fired.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Mr. Iger is a smart guy. You don't rise to the position he has attained by being stupid. I'm sure he's also very keen on self-preservation (as we all are.) No doubt, he has observed and digested the things that got Mr. Eisner into hot water. I don't think he's really anxious to perpetuate those. Obviously, changes need to be made since the status quo has everyone screaming. OK...maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but sweeping changes were inevitable. Otherwise, what was all the shouting about?

BTW: I just finished "Disney War." If you haven't yet bought it....do it now. For anyone with a Disney fascination it's required reading. I would also recommend reading "Keys To The Kingdom" first to help put everything into perspective.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.