• Happy Memories

Welcome Back Mr. Cube?!

I don't have the link handy at the moment, but since I mentioned it in another thread I thought I should follow through on posting about it...

I was reading this morning that the next classic TV show to get the big screen treatment will be Welcome Back Kotter. Ice Cube is producing and starring as the teacher who returns to his urban alma mater.

If this were an original idea, I think i would like Cube in a role like this, but since it's a remake I have to say.... Cube is no Mr. Kotter!

One last question.... why is this film needed again????

• Reaver of Souls

Re: Welcome Back Mr. Cube?!

It's not. I've seen enough of both ex-rappers thinking they can act and movies created from TV shows that have long since outlived their interest factor. Hollywood just gets more and more desperate (or just lazy), to do all these retro remakes. Have any of them been any good? Will Travolta be making a cameo appearance in this? Blech. Hollywood, get some new ideas, will you?
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb
    I don't have the link handy at the moment, but since I mentioned it in another thread I thought I should follow through on posting about it...

I was reading this morning that the next classic TV show to get the big screen treatment will be Welcome Back Kotter. Ice Cube is producing and starring as the teacher who returns to his urban alma mater.

If this were an original idea, I think i would like Cube in a role like this, but since it's a remake I have to say.... Cube is no Mr. Kotter!

One last question.... why is this film needed again????
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21808
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Huh?

Two words: The Honeymooners

'Nuff said.
    -Tim

• Happy Memories

I swear that wasn't there when I posted this! I looked! You always have to have all the entertainment scoops don't you Alias?!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb
    I swear that wasn't there when I posted this! I looked! You always have to have all the entertainment scoops don't you Alias?!
    That's what they asked for. Wasn't sure if that's where you'd read it or not, couldn't tell!

This is painful news nonetheless. Just because he's got a deal, why continue to pillage when he's in the position to try to create?
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• I'm your huckleberry.

Now I love Ice Cube as a rapper... for my money it doesn't get better than the Death Certificate album. But the man is no actor. The Friday trilogies were fine, now O'Shay needs to go back to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Huh?

I doubt this will work....

As I mentioned with The Honeymooners, when you try to change the original show's format TOO much, it not only loses its audience, but it also just doesn't work at all.

Of course, TV rarely becomes good film. Addams Family, Addams Family Values, The Flintstones, George of the Jungle, Casshern..... hmm, think those are the only TV turned Movie movies (not starring original cast and creators) that I've actually REALLY enjoyed.

Well, there's The Little Rascals, too... but that's not really TV. It kept the spirit of the original shorts well enough, so it was very good as an adaptation (as far as adaptations go).
    -Tim