A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

Narnia passes Harry Potter 4 at B.O.

This is more a symbolic victory than anything else, given that Harry Potter is about $200 million ahead of Narnia when you look at overseas box office. But still, beating Harry Potter (and King Kong) in the U.S. is a nice validation that the franchise is viable and for real.

I think alot of industry folks, heading into the holiday season, figured Narnia would come in third among the big three releases and didn't know if it would succeed at a "blockbuster" level. Way to go Disney (and Walden Media)!

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2031&p=.htm

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe finally surpassed Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Buena Vista doubled Narnia's theater count over the weekend, pushing the family fantasy's total to $289.8 million versus Goblet's $289.7 million. Goblet still has a $200 million plus advantage when foreign grosses are counted.

"I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Narnia passes Harry Potter 4 at B.O.

That's pretty amazing, though HP4 is now on DVD.

I didn't see Narnia. Maybe I'll rent it.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

You should definitely rent it. It's not perfect, but it's very well done overall. I'm a big fan, but I'm also a big fan of the book.

For a studio that often gets criticized for producing singles and doubles (or strikeouts!), Narnia ended up being a genuine home run.
    --John Lasseter

•   
    • Minion

I am not suprised with these numbers mind you...

Harry Potter had a build up to these numbers... Narnia just started... Disney has to build trust in the series in order to pull off what I think they want to... There are some problems with this plan though...

The thing about the Narnia series is that the first book is the series best foot forward... The rest are not as interesting, and follow a diminishing value... I don't know if Disney can hold the interest of fans through all seven books... I think Prince Caspian, Dawn Treader, and Siver Chair will work... Horse and His Boy, Magician's Nephew, and the Last Battle may prove to be more problematic...
    Check out my other blog:

^^ True enough, adapting all seven books may be a challenge. But I know alot of people consider "Prince Caspian" (movie #2) to be the best book, and I think there is enough of a Narina/CS Lewis fan-base to form a core audience for these films now that the first one has been such a success.

Regarding Harry Potter having to "build up" to HP4, I'm not sure what you mean. The first HP was also that franchise's "best foot forward", grossing $317 million (approx) domestic. HP2 and HP3 each grossed progressively less than that, with HP3 grossing approx $249. HP4 marked a significant bounce-back.
    --John Lasseter