Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Locactions" of animated films

Recently my 4 yr old is very analytical and has recently been really interested in “background info” of the Disney animated features. He’s been asking where, geographically, certain movies take place. I know there may not be a set “location” for each animated film, but the animators must have something to reference for background design and stuff. I remember wondering this too when I was little. Some are obvious (Lilo & Stitch: Hawaii) and some aren’t (The Little Mermaid). So I’m putting together a list of some of the movies and where I think they might be taking place. What does everybody think?

Snow White?
    Pinochio?
    Little Mermaid?
    Fox & Hound?
    Cinderella?
    Sleeping Beauty?

Others?

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Re: "Locactions" of animated films

Cinderella was in France, wasn't it? Pinocchio might have been in Switzerland? I think a majority of the older Disney Animated films were to be in Europe, weren't they? I think that Fox and the Hound would have been set somewhere in the USA if I'm guessing correctly? Good Luck!

• I'm your huckleberry.

I think Pinnochio is set in Germany. And I've always thought Fox & the Hound was set in Kentucky or some other woodsy Southern state.

Little Mermaid was originally Hans Christian Andersen, so I'd say that one is set in Denmark. I mean they have a LM statue in Copenhagen harbor.

Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella are originally Grimm fairy tales, and the brothers Grimm hailed from Germany, so I'd bet those ones are also set in Germany. Was Pinnochio a Grimm fairy tale? I don't think so, but I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Most animated films take place in Burbank at the Disney Animation studios, although a lot of the "ink & paint" is outsourced now-a-days. I know, not the answer you were hoping for...

Re: "Locations" of animated films

Quote Originally Posted by fastpassmountain
    Most animated films take place in Burbank at the Disney Animation studios, although a lot of the "ink & paint" is outsourced now-a-days. I know, not the answer you were hoping for...

Pinocchio is an Italian story, and that is where I always thought it was set. Pinocchio characters make their appearance in the WS at the Italian Pavilion.

here's what I always thought:
    Snow White? Germany
    Pinochio? Italy
    Little Mermaid? For some reason I have always thought France (maybe because of "Les poissoins" ?), but Copenhagen would make more sense.
    Fox & Hound? no idea really
    Cinderella? France...at least the Drew Barrymore movie points towards France.
    Sleeping Beauty? Not really sure, but she show up in France in the WS
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella
    Pinocchio is an Italian story, and that is where I always thought it was set. Pinocchio characters make their appearance in the WS at the Italian Pavilion.
    Of course! That totally makes sense now that you said it. Geppeto is totally an Italian name! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella
    Cinderella? France...at least the Drew Barrymore movie points towards France.
    Isn't the place where she lives called a Chateau? Dang, I'll have to watch the beginning of the film right now when I go to lunch because it's killing me to know!

Well I saw about the first ten minutes of Cinderella right now and the only location they say in the film was "A Place Far Away", but she did in fact live in a Chateau, so I'm assuming it's in France.

• oh bugger

Walt Disney's Cinderella was not based on the Grimm version but is credited to Charles Perrault, who was French and writing about the french aristocracy, so Cinderella is most assuredly based in France.... In French the name is Cendrillon, which literally means "cinder- ella," or Little Cinder.

Sleeping Beauty is a little more difficult to define geographically, however a best bet would be France as well, "La Belle au Bois dormant" is taken from Perrault's collection of fairy tales, but the Disney version is a little bit of everything, from the German Grimm version to even further back with Giambattista Basile's take on this fairly gruesome tale. Best bet would be to say somewhere in the European countryside (most likely France).

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. My guess is German, the Disney version is so closely tied to the Grimm tale that its hard not to just say Germany. In the other non-German versions you don't get the same dwarfs you see in the Disney tale.

Pinochio. Italy, it's been stated above, but yes, this is a VERY Italian setting. Taken from the children's book by Carlo Collodi this story has far fewer 'versions' the way the previously mentioned films have, so it's easier to just simply say Geppetto is Italian.

As for The Little Mermaid it's easiest to go with what has been said above, written by Danish author Hans C. Anderson, somewhere in the Copenhagen area is not a bad guess.

Fox and the Hound was written by Daniel P. Mannix who was from Pennsylvania... so that fits well enough for me.

Truly, the best way to find out where the film is located, if its possible, is to look at the original source material. Not until 'The Lion King' did Disney do a full length animated feature on its own story (aside from 'Fantasia'), so if your 4 year old wants to learn more toss a Grimm Fairy Tale collection their way.

• What, where am i?

weren't they all set in the magical place called out imagination! i know that Beauty and the Beast is set in France. there is a line in the movie

Lumiare-After all miss this is France and the dinner her is never second best!
    If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade. Then find someone who's life has given them vodka and have a party.

I look at you and I see 2 men. The man you are and the man you ought to be. One day those 2 will meet and should make for one hell of a football player!

If this is torture, chain me to the wall

Are you there God? It's me Jesus.

Locke and Jack are to busy worrying about Locke and Jack.

The best kind of Prize is a surprise! Hehehe

The sun never sets on the Disney Empire.

Nice analysis JurgenB52! I have read several places that Snow White is in Bavarian Germany. Turns out most of these are common sense- Geppeto's Italian accent, Grimm bros., etc.

Denmark for LM is interesting. It makes sense, but I always pictured somewhere more exotic (no offense to anybody of the Danish persuasion- most of my ancestors actually came from there). So I guess Triton's kindom is up there in Europe.

How about Lady & the Tramp? I'm thinking somewhere in the heartland.

Home on the Range? Utah/Arizona. Rosanne Barr is from Utah too- kind of interesting.

Lion King? We know Africa, but I'm thinking northern Kalahari.

Seems like a lot of Disney fantasy took place in France. T'would be kind of funny to see a story where Belle runs into Cinderella and Gaston hits on Aurora!

• oh bugger

Thanks JungleBumCT! I just graduated with a history degree and my senior thesis was on Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty. Much like our very own Mr. Kevin Yee, I am well versed in fairy tale origins.

• Sock Puppet

In the Little Mermaid TV series, the undersea place where she lives is called "Atlantica". Denmark makes sense there.

• Circle of Ancients

Here are the locations I always thought of:

Lady and the Tramp - New England
    Dumbo - The south (FL, GA ... it kind of shows it on the map at the beginning)
    Bambi - Colorado
    Fox and the Hound - Midwest woodsy area
    A Bugs Life - SoCal desert type area
    Incredibles - Chicago esque
    Toy Story - I don't know why I always felt it was Florida or something
    Dinosaur - Northern US / Southern Canada (Isn't that where they found most of those bones?)

But yeah, movies like Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Ichabod and Mr. Toad, Aristocats, Rescuers (both) and Oliver and Co are pretty easy to figure out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast