Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Disney Shares Question?

Does any one know the percentage that the Disney family owns in stock of the Company? In the future is it possible that we could see a Disney family member in control of the company? Since Roy has left, is there any anyone waiting in the the wings. I know how much Jobs will have in shares and Eisner. Just wondering, how much pull the Disney Family has these days?
    Jason

Re: Disney Shares Question?

I don't beleive that Roy has left the company since he and Iger made up.

Anyway, any sharehold that holds more than 5 percent of Disney shares would be listed in the proxy information published by the Company. As it happens, Eisner is the largest single shareholder at the moment (unitl Jobs). Even at that, Eisner only holds 1.7% of outstanding common stock (from 2005 Proxy). Any stock held by the Disney family appears to be much less then that, and not enough to stage any comeback.
    Former Submarine Voyage CM 1994-1995

•   
    • Minion

Unfortunately, I do not think it is possable to know unless this info is released by the family, Disney does have records of this information but I believe it is classified under SEC rules. We used to know how many shares Roy had because by law it had to be reported to the SEC (Form 4). I do know he had a planned sale of stock before he left the Board of Directors which also by law had to be reported. He was the second largest individual stock holder at the time (Eisner being the first)... If I remember right Roy owned 1.4 percent to Eisner's 1.8. I cannot confirm those numbers.

It is unknown how many shares are held by Ron and Diane Disney-Miller or other members of the Disney family. We also don't know what class of shares they hold. Which determine how many votes they have as well...

I would suspect that they do own a goodly portion still, however we don't know what the percentage is...
    Check out my other blog:

•   
    • Minion

Also, one more thing...

Roy and other members of the Disney Family have been on the record of saying they would like to see independant leadership, and that they believe no one has a birthright to sit on the board of directors of a public company.

It was in responce to a proxy resolution that would require a family member to sit on the board... (I think it was a few shareholders who wanted to restore Roy to his position.)

That letter I think is in the MiceChat archives... It was posted by DarkBeer.

It is possable for a Disney Family member to sit on the board again... Or hold the chairmanship, or even be promoted to CEO at some point in the future...
    Check out my other blog:

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    It was in response to a proxy resolution that would require a family member to sit on the board... (I think it was a few shareholders who wanted to restore Roy to his position.)
    The downside to this idea is that there would have to be some family member who actually wanted to do this. And this is not necessarily always going to be the case. And having someone who is not qualified to be an active participant on a Board of Directors could be seen as a bad thing for the stock price.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    The downside to this idea is that there would have to be some family member who actually wanted to do this. And this is not necessarily always going to be the case. And having someone who is not qualified to be an active participant on a Board of Directors could be seen as a bad thing for the stock price.
    I could see either Abby or Pattrick doing it to some degree... But the real question is, what side of the family should it come from? and who would be the most qualified? It would seem to devide the family more than it likely already is since Roy had his feud with Ron, 20 years ago...

And once you are on board, NO PRESSURE...

Yeah, it is best if they stay off the board unless they had enough tallent...

---

After thinking about it... I don't think Abby would want to do it... I mean, she would if she had to, but I think she would be reluctant... I can sympathise with her about this... (Which is probably why she should be involved - power shouldn't go to those who want it... I bet she would be better at it that she would realize...)
    Last edited by cellarhound; 03-24-2006 at 03:22 PM.
    Check out my other blog:

During the Save Disney campaign, Abby did express her intention to preserve the family's legacy with the company whenever her father is not able to do so in the future.

In the past, she was reluctant to embrace the connection she had to the company, but I think the Save Disney campaign demonstrated how important it is for the family to still be involved.

The Board needs subject-matter experts who understand Disneyan culture and who can hold management accountable when it strays from the timeless operating philosophy with which Walt Disney was founded.

• Banned User

i seem to remember that when ron was kicked out, dianne sold her personal shares of stock. walts shares of the company that weren't owned jointly with lilian were put into several trusts. Sharon still had stock and served on the board till she died. but diane and ron cut ties with the company until bob mended fences. roy's 1 percent was his personal stake not sure what happened to his father's stock which I am sure was more than 1 percent of the company. IF the family pulled together I am sure they would have enough stock to hold a seat on the board. but right now think that there are two surviving children, 14 grandchildren and I don't know how many great grandchildren between the two brothers. and are any of them working for the disney company right now?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95
    i seem to remember that when ron was kicked out, dianne sold her personal shares of stock. walts shares of the company that weren't owned jointly with lilian were put into several trusts. Sharon still had stock and served on the board till she died. but diane and ron cut ties with the company until bob mended fences. roy's 1 percent was his personal stake not sure what happened to his father's stock which I am sure was more than 1 percent of the company. IF the family pulled together I am sure they would have enough stock to hold a seat on the board. but right now think that there are two surviving children, 14 grandchildren and I don't know how many great grandchildren between the two brothers. and are any of them working for the disney company right now?
    I am just as sure that they couldn't. Any family members holding so much stock would have stepped forward by now to protect their investment. (A parallel situation might be the Ford family and the auto company, and I don't think the Disney extended family has that kind of interest.)

You know, you can't pay the bills with Disney stock. Over time, stock is sold and the cash is used.
    Also, a smart person would diversify his portfolio, so some Disney stock would be sold and other companies' shares bought.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    The Board needs subject-matter experts who understand Disneyan culture and who can hold management accountable when it strays from the timeless operating philosophy with which Walt Disney was founded.
    Al?

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    I am just as sure that they couldn't. Any family members holding so much stock would have stepped forward by now to protect their investment. (A parallel situation might be the Ford family and the auto company, and I don't think the Disney extended family has that kind of interest.)

You know, you can't pay the bills with Disney stock. Over time, stock is sold and the cash is used.
    Also, a smart person would diversify his portfolio, so some Disney stock would be sold and other companies' shares bought.
    The only hole in your theory is two items.

1. Roy and Abby did stand up in the name of the Disney Family, it might be that he was the best representative to the fight.

2. If the shares are held in trust, the individual family members interest in the company could be so deluted that it may not be seen as a majority interest. Those shares also may or may not be transferable. The only way to know is to actually get your hands on the legal documents that established that trust.
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

I know walts was held in two large trusts and several smaller ones. 45% was set aside for the disney foundation . and 45% was set into what is called the disney family trust. sharon had three children and she sat on the board until her death and roy tried to get another disney family member on the board after she died but eisner got the board to say no. He figured that once roy left the board he would be able to run the company on his own without any family interference. lillian also had stock in her own name but unless one sees the wills, you don't know what happened to it.

•   
    • Minion

Also one other thing... It is likely that only the children of Walt where named in his trust... And Roy likewise in his...
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

the disney family trust gets disolved when diane dies. it's to be split evenly among the grandchildren

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast