Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Why's there no Walt Disney movie yet???

I was wondering. With Hollywood making movies on all time greats such as Johnny Cash, why haven't they created a movie on Walt Disney? Given the fact that he was one of the leading innovators that brought a lot to Hollywood, I think Disney should make a feature length movie about Walt.

Anyone else think the same way about this?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Re: Why's there no Walt Disney movie yet???

just a guess, but I would assume that one hasn't been made due to the Disney family not wanting one to be made.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• horsin' around!

possibly not scandalous enough???

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Good Idea! that would be a great movie...

• My cuties!

There was the TV documentary one The Man Behind the Myth.

• horsin' around!

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom
    There was the TV documentary one The Man Behind the Myth.
    was it myth or mouth..i mean MOUSE! lololol

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    just a guess, but I would assume that one hasn't been made due to the Disney family not wanting one to be made.
    Good point. And it would have to be produced by Disney. No outside filmmaker could ever get permission to use any of the animated characters needed to tell Walt's story without permission from the Walt Disney Company.

• no flash photography...

ummm...maybe to many skeletons in the closet.

He's mentioned on movie I saw once. He was being blackmailed along with other studio heads...what was that movie called?

• ...TWO BITS!

This is the movie I want to make for the Disney Company!

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Happy Memories

I don't see it ever happening. The reason movies like Ray and Walk the Line have been successful is that the artists allowed themselves to be shown in an unflattering light. They wanted the whole story told, warts and all. The Disney family and the Disney company would never allow such truth to be presented with Walt, thus rendering any attempt at a biopic completely pointless.

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Correct me if I wrong, but haven't several bio pics been made without the consent or even knowledge of the person being presented? I remember George Wallace saying that his bio was nothing but a pack of lies, which says to me they didn't do any consulting with him on it. I've seen a few movies that call themselves the "unathorized biography" just like some novels. I'm not entirely certain that they need permission of the person/estate, at least in some respects.

I don't see any other reason for them not to do a bio pic of Walt other then the fact that they think he just isn't interesting enough. There have been some people in this world who the worst things they've done through the course of their life was throw a rock at dog at the age of twelve. Not every famous person was a drug addict, unfaithful, scizophrenic or a bigot, which to movie makers seems to be the primary ingrediant for a successful film.

Odds are that the Disney company hasn't done a pic on Walt is because they've been ignoring the poor man for years now. Their not (or were'nt, well see) sticking to the fundamental principles Walt laid out for his vision, so what sense would it make to create a bio pic pointing that out? Plus, I doubt anyone in the proper authoritative places to green light such a film thinks that it would make an iota of money.

It would be a great film though. I'd pay to take my family to see it.

• Former Epcot CM

Well there is a bit of a dilemma. To properly portray the man, they would have to show the good with the bad, and this could cause bad consequences for the company's wholesome image - it isn't exactly publicised that he was a homophobe and a racist (to a certain extent, no-one is saying he was Hitler and most people in that time shared his attitudes) and this could be controversial in this day and age where these views are frowned upon severely. Another studio would have no problem with this as it is not their reputation suffering, but Disney would never give the rights to the animation and possibly filming in Disneyland - although this would be limited, as possibly only Main Street could be filmed.

Personally though, I would love to see a proper biopic - warts and all (I do not hold anything against Walt for his views - he wasn't extremist, he shared the same views with most people of that time, plus I think it would be interesting and representative of that period), produced by Disney with honesty, co-operation with the Disney family (I don't mean to be rude but that chance of getting Roy and Diane involved will be gone within a few years/decades) and proper location shooting. Sort of a live-action version of the fantastic biography by Bob Thomas, which by the way is published by Disney, and still shows some of his bad traits - not the controversial ones though lol.
    Last edited by Speedway; 03-28-2006 at 09:52 AM.
    Shiny and New

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California

July 2012 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim
    Good point. And it would have to be produced by Disney. No outside filmmaker could ever get permission to use any of the animated characters needed to tell Walt's story without permission from the Walt Disney Company.
    Unless it's the Walt Disney family making the film...since they don't have to ask the Disney Company for permission to make films on their own family members.

SCUBabe, the situation in which Walt claimed to be blackmailed took place back during the 1940's when Senator McCartney was accusing Members of Hollywood that they had connections with Communism. Walt was one of the accused and felt like he was set up. Most people know that Walt hated Communists.

People also claimed that Walt was anti-semtic. Is that true? I don't know. But if so, why would Walt make anti-hitler propoganda films?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    SCUBabe, the situation in which Walt claimed to be blackmailed took place back during the 1940's when Senator McCartney was accusing Members of Hollywood that they had connections with Communism.
    That was Paul's drunken American uncle, I believe. Many people don't know that.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    People also claimed that Walt was anti-semitic. Is that true? I don't know. But if so, why would Walt make anti-hitler propoganda films?
    Meh. He was probably anti-semitic more due to the many Jews that were also Communists and labor leaders. And reporters. And heads of other studios.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast