• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Julia Roberts gives her regards to Broadway

Posted 3/27/2006 9:23 PM Updated 3/27/2006 10:16 PM
    Roberts steps out for Broadway debut
    By Elysa Gardner, USA TODAY

If you've been praying for Three Days of Rain, the wait is over: Julia Roberts begins previews in director Joe Mantello's production of the Richard Greenberg play tonight at the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre.

Julia Roberts takes to the stage in
    Three Days of Rain Tuesday night.Getty Images

It's the Oscar winner's Broadway debut, co-starring Paul Rudd and Bradley Cooper. A few tickets are still available, mostly in the latter part of the run, which ends June 18.
    Each actor juggles a pair of roles in Greenberg's generational drama, which earned praise off-Broadway in 1997.
    Asked about the excitement surrounding the Broadway debut of Rain, the playwright says, "Rehearsals have been amazingly normal."
    Granted, Greenberg, whose credits include The Violet Hour and the Tony Award-winning Take Me Out, had his pinch-me-I'm-dreaming moment.
    "But it was long before we started, when (Roberts) initially agreed to do it. My agent told me that Julia was reading the play. I said, "Julia who?' "
    Roberts is "critic-proof in terms of sales," says Todd Haimes, who as artistic director of the Roundabout Theatre Company has given Broadway marquee names such as Antonio Banderas in 2003's Nine and Harry Connick Jr. in the current hit revival of The Pajama Game.
    But while a Hollywood or pop-music idol may mean bonzo box office, it doesn't assure accolades, as proven by the less-than-rave reviews that have greeted stars ranging from Denzel Washington to Sean "Diddy" Combs in recent years. (Reviews for Rain will appear beginning April 11.)
    "When someone like Julia Roberts comes to Broadway, the critical community rips itself apart between being excited and, to some extent, preparing to sharpen their knives," Haimes says.
    "(Roberts) is already considered one of the best actresses in America, and now she's taking an enormous pay cut, working her butt off eight performances a week. It's really good for theater that she's doing this, and I think we should want to encourage artists to take risks."
    For his part, Wall Street Journal drama critic Terry Teachout says, "Nothing would please me more than to see her knock it out of the park. I can't speak for anybody else, but I always hope for the best when a movie star takes to the stage or anyone else, for that matter."
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/theater...-roberts_x.htm
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: Julia Roberts gives her regards to Broadway

Broadway babe
    Fans wish Julia luck in leap from big screen to the stage
    BY JOE DZIEMIANOWICZ, JIMMY VIELKIND
    and LEO STANDORA
    DAILY NEWS WRITERS
    Julia Roberts waves to fans waiting at Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre yesterday for her Broadway debut. Theatergoers lined up last night to see the Pretty Woman make the pretty big move from film to the Broadway stage.
    Oscar winner Julia Roberts, one of the world's biggest movie stars, debuted with a complex role in previews of "Three Days of Rain."
    But before the 38-year-old actress uttered a line, she got rave reviews from fans outside the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre.
    "Oh, my God, I love her," gushed high school senior Megan Lombardo, 18, of Warwick, Orange County. "She's a great actress. She seems like a great person. And she's beautiful."
    Cathy Harshman, 45, and Charlotte Fennell, 40, co-owners of a Fort Myers, Fla., restaurant, shelled out $250 each for tickets and flew up to New York just to see Roberts in the show.
    "Yes, that's the only reason I'm here. I don't even care what the play is about," said Harshman.

When Roberts spoke her first few lines, she was drowned out by enthusiastic entrance applause, although the Broadway newcomer took it in stride.
    But a moment that reminded the audience this was the first preview came midway through the second act. The "Runaway Bride" star had to contend with a runaway prop tomato. The plastic veggie landed on the floor, bounced and echoed like a table tennis ball - a blooper that left Roberts briefly in stitches. She broke character and couldn't help flashing her trademark toothy grin.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...p-342093c.html

Originally published on March 29, 2006
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: Julia Roberts gives her regards to Broadway

Her 'Rain' at an end
    Final performance for Julia play By Joe Dziemianowicz
    New York Daily News
    June 19, 2006

Julia Roberts waves to fans yesterday outside Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre after final performance of Richard Greenberg's play 'Three Days of Rain.'

It was last call for Julia Roberts.

Curtain call, that is.

The Pretty Woman took her final Broadway bow last night with tears in her eyes and white roses in her hands as "Three Days of Rain" ended its 12-week run.

Despite largely negative reviews for both the Richard Greenberg drama and its leading lady, fans jammed the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre to see Roberts in her farewell performance.
    "Julia could read the ABC's and I would come to see her," said Stan Pietkiewicz, 42, who works for Hershey Chocolate in Pennsylvania.
    Like others at yesterday's performance, Pietkiewicz said he bought tickets for the final show because he knew Roberts would be "sure to show up for work."

Nothing to worry about there. Roberts, like co-stars Paul Rudd and Bradley Cooper, never missed a performance during the show's three months.

At the final curtain call, the actors were given bouquets of white roses. Producer Marc Platt hailed them from the stage as "the most dedicated group of actors I have ever worked with" and introduced cast members one by one, saving Roberts for last.
    "We love Julia," an audience member yelled.
    "We all love Julia," Platt answered.

Proof of that was obvious outside the theater, where the sidewalk and street overflowed with fans - a common scene since performances began March 18.

"I'm glad this will be over," said one photographer.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...p-360879c.html