Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Practically Perfect

Exclamation Power to Pixar! Hu-ha! ...I'll stop...

Not only have Pixar executives pulled the plug on sequels to their original movies that Walt Disney crews were working on, they have also scotched production of the high-profile animated movie Gnomeo & Juliet being produced by Elton John. The singer/songwriter was also engaged to write the songs for the movie, based on the Shakespeare play, and to allow many of his past hits to be included. Disney said Monday that personnel who were involved in the production of the film had been reassigned to other projects. Disney Co. watcher Jim Hill also reported today (Tuesday) that the Pixar execs have also demanded "radical surgery" on Disney's animated/live-action Meet the Robinsons, "which now makes it rather unlikely that Meet the Robinsons will still be able to meet its scheduled March 30, 2007 release date." Hill concludes that given the wholesale changes the Pixar execs are demanding at Disney, "many folks on the Disney lot aren't thinking all that kindly about their new Pixar overlords anymore."
    That's from IMDB.com today. I thought it was interesting. I gotta say I think it's a good move on Pixar's part, I was unsure about Meet the Robinsons but interested none the less...I'm glad they're taking it under their wing.

Gnomeo & Juliet is another story...I haven't heard much about it...but I admit I will a little skeptical...

your thoughts?

• Huh?

Re: Power to Pixar! Hu-ha! ...I'll stop...

Gnomeo sounded like it had a LOT of potential... potentially. That is one that I was actually interested in seeing.

Oh, well...
    -Tim

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

I think it's a fantastic move. Over the past few years, Disney has stopped setting the standard for movies, and mediocrity has taken over. They are no longer raising the bar for everyone else but have become content with just being good enough. Unfortunately, with this kind of apathy, there will be a lot of resistance trying to get the studios back to where they once were. I imagine that there is going to be a large turnover happening at the studios because of this, but in the end, it will be for the better as those who are serious about obtaining perfection stay on.

•   
    • Minion

It reminds me a little of when Eisner and Kats first screened The Black Cauldron... And decided to change it in the editing room... ever since animators have been trying to adapt to this type of thinking...

The differance here of course is that, pendjulum is swinging the other way, the stories and production quality are likely so sparce and watered down by pressures from Consumer Products and others that Ed and Jon said, wait a sec, let's rethink these stories...

Not a bad move I say...

I can't think of a worse idea than patterning something off of Romeo and Juliette... Why not try something with a happy ending like Middsummer or Twelfth Night...
    Check out my other blog:

• Rock Star Minion

You have to figure that if the heads of the studios -- people who have actually made successful films (to distinguish them from prior management) -- say they want something changed, then those below them should listen, and either obey or defend their project.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie
    I think it's a fantastic move. Over the past few years, Disney has stopped setting the standard for movies, and mediocrity has taken over. They are no longer raising the bar for everyone else but have become content with just being good enough. Unfortunately, with this kind of apathy, there will be a lot of resistance trying to get the studios back to where they once were. I imagine that there is going to be a large turnover happening at the studios because of this, but in the end, it will be for the better as those who are serious about obtaining perfection stay on.
    Amen to that!

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    I can't think of a worse idea than patterning something off of Romeo and Juliette... Why not try something with a happy ending like Middsummer or Twelfth Night...
    Hamlet would probably be worse... oh, wait. They did that already with Lion King.

Romeo and Juliet doesn't necessarily need a sad ending. Disney has never been going for literal retellings of any story. Besides, look at all the films based on the story -- take The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns, for example. Based on R&J -- The Leprechauns and the Fairies are in a big feud. A small group of Leprechaun boys decides to invade the Fairy ball by desguising themselves as Fairies (who just happened to have a masked ball that night). One of the Fairies falls in love with one of the Leprechauns, whom she thinks is a fairy at first. Romance, feuding, blah blah blah... lovers nearly die at the end -- buy, hey. They're magical creatures. Not so easy to kill them. Voila! Happy ending for everybody!

Sure, it takes away from the tragedy of the original, but it does prove that it can be done for a family film.
    -Tim

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

I trust our new Pixar Leads on this one. Gnomeo and Juliet makes me cringe; the critics would have bashed it simply for it being a Disneyfied Shakespeare-lite, and you have to agree that the company hasn't exactly refigured out how to tell a decent story the last few years, let alone adapt something as classic as R&J into a new classic. This sounds like it was a good move to me.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    Hamlet would probably be worse... oh, wait. They did that already with Lion King.

Romeo and Juliet doesn't necessarily need a sad ending. Disney has never been going for literal retellings of any story. Besides, look at all the films based on the story -- take The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns, for example. Based on R&J -- The Leprechauns and the Fairies are in a big feud. A small group of Leprechaun boys decides to invade the Fairy ball by desguising themselves as Fairies (who just happened to have a masked ball that night). One of the Fairies falls in love with one of the Leprechauns, whom she thinks is a fairy at first. Romance, feuding, blah blah blah... lovers nearly die at the end -- buy, hey. They're magical creatures. Not so easy to kill them. Voila! Happy ending for everybody!

Sure, it takes away from the tragedy of the original, but it does prove that it can be done for a family film.
    No, you are right MacBeth or Titus Andronicus would be worse, (spit)....

Lion King was so far removed from Hamlet that the parallels are only minor thematic referances... Gnomio and Juliet sounds like those referances would be more direct... If you create a happy ending, you will have critics throwing rocks at Disney... And that is what happened that killed the post Little Mermaid - Disney Animation Renaussance.

In order for Disney to make its big comeback you need to have both the public and the critics on your side... And not just ones who you paid off with payola to get a sound bite you can put on your marketing copy... You want them to TALK about positively for some time to come...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Can't be worse than William Shatner trying to do the 6 hour musical of Julius Ceasar (per the movie Free Enterprise)

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

Well, "The Little Mermaid" was a radical departure from the original Hans Christian Anderson story. I mean that ending isn't just sad, it's bleak, dark and depressing. She more-or-less commits suicide at the end to save the prince. And that radical change into a happy ending sure didn't hurt that film. It launched the aforementioned 1989-1994 renaissance. "Beauty and the Beast" and "Aladdin" also involve radical changes from their original source material.

Changes to a well-known story aren't the issue. The issue here is quality. You can do whatever you want to the story as long as its still a good story at the end of the day.

Apparently when the Pixar folks looked at "Gnomeo" they didn't see a good story so much as they saw a gimmicky concept linked to an Elton John soundtrack. So they pulled the plug. And that's exactly why Disney bought Pixar. To spare us from more half-baked, market-driven, animated crap.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie
    Can't be worse than William Shatner trying to do the 6 hour musical of Julius Ceasar (per the movie Free Enterprise)
    I don't know, I always found I Claudius to be kinda funny... I am sure a musical of Julius Ceasar would work... But as a Disney Animated Feature? No, too dark...
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

just the name gnomeo and juliet makes me cringe, just like repunzel unbraided. I read somewhere a long time ago that walt insisted all his movies have a happy ending. I am sure that is a myth but I don't know of any disney movie that doesn't end happily. sad things happen in them but they end happily. especially the animated ones. I am waiting to see what pixar and iger do with feature animation. give them a couple of years to see how this marriage is gonna work. cause it will take time to work out the kinks

•   
    • Minion

Well, have you seen Heavy Metal? Or even AnaMatrix? That is what happens when animation has an unhappy ending... Makes you feel kinda creepy...
    Check out my other blog:

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    Well, have you seen Heavy Metal? Or even AnaMatrix? That is what happens when animation has an unhappy ending... Makes you feel kinda creepy...
    Uh, I don't think the downbeat endings are the only thing that differentiates those films from Disney animated fare!
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast