Unholy Matrimony: Disney Welcomes Hooters Downtown?

Unholy Matrimony: Disney Welcomes Hooters Downtown?

NY: In what may signal Bob Iger’s boldest move yet, it was rumored late Friday that the famous Hooters restaurant chain had signed for a franchise location at Downtown Disney Orlando. Long known for its tacky decor, high caloric food and skimpy clad waitresses the move would no doubt raise eyebrows among the more conservative Walt Disney World Patrons. The Burbank, CA office had no comment and would not return calls on the subject Friday afternoon. Robert H. Brooks, Chairman of Hooters Inc. was unavailable but sources close to him assured his comments on the weekend.

The rumor mill was buzzing but there was no change in the Disney stock in late trading. Many were claiming that the news may have been a corporate rumor to test the market. Hooters stock noted a .15 bump by the end of trading.

Former board members Stanley Gold and Roy E. Disney were not available for comment. It will no doubt be very interesting to see how the "Save Disney" activists react as they have been among Disney's most vocal critics of late.

The following is related information from Hooters Website.

The first Hooters opened October 4, 1983, in Clearwater, Florida. During its history, the Hooters concept has undergone very little change. The current logo, uniform, menu and ambiance are all very similar to what existed in the original store. This lack of change is understandable given the tremendous success the Hooters concept has enjoyed. Hooters has continued to rank high amongst the industry's growth leaders. Hooters has proven successful in small-town America, major metropolitan areas and internationally.

Claims that Hooters exploits attractive women are as ridiculous as saying the NFL exploits men who are big and fast. Hooters Girls have the same right to use their natural female sex appeal to earn a living as do super models Cindy Crawford and Naomi Campbell. To Hooters, the women's rights movement is important because it guarantees women have the right to choose their own careers, be it a Supreme Court Justice or Hooters Girl.

Women occupy management positions all the way from Vice President of Training and Development, Kat Cole, who started her career at Hooters as a Hooters Girl.

The chain acknowledges that many consider "Hooters" a slang term for a portion of the female anatomy. Hooters does have an owl inside its logo and uses an owl theme sufficiently to allow debate to occur over the meaning's intent. The chain enjoys and benefits from this debate. In the end, we hope Hooters means a great place to eat.

Notu Bryte

For the L.A. Times

• Feel the breeze!

If anything really thinks that Hooters waitresses are scantily clad they need to open their eyes and look around. What a number of girls wear around town is FAR more risque than what Hooters waitresses wear.

• Banned User

soo... where is this location and when does it open???

I am not against it.... it is Down Town... Pleasure island is Down Town.... Whats the difference of people who want to wear that and work there... and woment who do some of the stuff next door......

Besides... they are a good thing...(Harlies and now this... whats next..)

• Doing it with a flair

Notu Bryte...
    Eglantine, Eglantine, oh how you shine!
    I don't believe in giving animals ridiculous names. I call him Cosmic Creepers...
    ...and if you've got no other choice, you know you can follow my voice...

•   
    • Minion

I was ignoring this as an aprils fool's joke... I am still clouding it out of my mind as such...
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

lol hey i used to get discounts at the hooters near disneyland for being a cast member ........ so I believe it LOL
    Evil is lurking behind the matterhorn........ wait, that's just Mickey

• Banned User

I dont think of April fools when i saw April 2 on my end.... thought the persion could have bene on the west cost if so then.... Shame on you for pulling it so late and not telling the truth...

If he is telling the truth... Heck ya...

• Brown Derby Caricatures

This doesn't make sense. There's already a Hooter's at Vista Center, a small shopping complex about 2 miles or so from Downtown Disney, and I can't see Hooter's wanting to locate another restaurant that close to an existing one.

I say it's a late April Fool's joke.

And Gwyren's right... I've seen guests at the Parks dressed way more skimpily than Hooters Girls.
    "Oh, now there's a surprise! I could have a heart attack and die from not surprised!"
    -Iago, Aladdin