Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• love my friends

Talking what to do when my kid can sing

My 5 year old daughter has A DYNAMITE voice....... I live in FUleton about 45 minutes fromLA
    this child can sing.. she tells me she wants to sing forever.. I want to do something with her voice.. any suggestions
    I dont wnat to be this STAGE MOM

but she wnats to do it I know I liove in the LA area.. burt have no clue what to do

any sugggestions

this kid had such a good voice.. I WAS FLOORED when all of a sudden she started to sing

they should come oujt wiht ameican toddler insteand of americna idol

LOL

Friends for life

• Merry 2014!

Re: what to do when my kid can sing

How about voice lessons? Find a good teacher, or talk to a counselor in the dramatic arts schools around L.A. Or just ask your daughter. Maybe she just wants to sing around the house and for herself. Just some suggestions.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico!
    How about voice lessons? Find a good teacher, or talk to a counselor in the dramatic arts schools around L.A. Or just ask your daughter. Maybe she just wants to sing around the house and for herself. Just some suggestions.
    thanks faantasmic

she isnt in school yet.. she is 5.. but starts kindergarten in the fall

she has this fantastic voice though.. I dont want it to go to waste

My hubbby says she gets it from me.. Yep I can sing when I drink beer.. lol

She is unbelievalbe

when I ws 13 I took voiuce lessons.. I hated it though. we sang folk songs.. i went into a competition i came in 150 out of 300.. whichn was good.. but I hated folk songs.......

Where can I get voice lessons for her.. like I ssaid I dont want to be this pushy mom.. but she DOES haave this talent.. you have to hear her to believe it

Friends for life

• love my friends

ssome one give me some suggeestions

my kid wants to sing p[rog=fessinally she is only 5

I dont know what to say to her

she does have a great voiuce by thenway

Friends for life

• Minion

No matter what you end up doing, she will need a voice coach -- Living around LA I would think that there would not be a problem finding one. That person may even know a talent agent that could get her started.

If your avatar is her then she is cute as a button

Good Luck!

• love my friends

thanks jess. this s her pictuire.. she is cute.. she is 1.2 japeness and havlg canadian.. well ok half americna.. I am canadian

butn she is sooooo cute

guess I shoudl look in the yhellow -[pages to find a voiuce coach..

I did the voice coach eyars ago.. I HATGED it I hd to sing FOLK

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

Friends for life

• love my friends

ddoes anyoine in the LA area know of a good vouice coach for my daughter''

SHe realynwants to sing.. she is only 5

but wants to.. I try to discourage her.. but she is rell relly good

Friends for life

• love my friends

some one helpo me here

brianna is pestering me in to singing.. I honeslty dint know what to tel her

either email me at kn=[email protected],,or pm me os tell me how do i go about this

Friends for life

• insufferable know-it-all

I could give you the name of a great singing teacher up in the valley, but you are NOT going to like what he charges! For that matter, I'm not entirely sure he'd take on a 5-year old.

You have a couple choices. Since she is only 5 and needs to get the basics anyway, you could start by looking through the phone book for Music Instruction - Vocal, and select a teacher from there. Or, if you really want to go all-out, there is something called the Reel Directory which can be purchased at Samuel French bookshops (I don't know where else, so I'm afraid you'll have to find one of the 2 Sam French bookstores in SoCal). The Reel Directory is basically a "Hollywood" (industry, not town) phone and address book. There's a chance you might find listings in there, or if not, at least contact info for agents. Real agents, not the kind who are basically marketing classes.

Personally, I'd start with the phone book. It's not the greatest way to look for a singing teacher, but hey, I managed to find a great one that way (and BOY was he surprised when he heard how I'd found him!)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

I'm a good singer, and I didn't start voice lessons until I was 18. And I did a lot of singing growing up--not professionally, of course. I also knew a number of singers who took lessons too young and nearly had their voices ruined.

My advice: If you want to give the kid lessons--make it piano lessons (as a kid, I would have loved it--but that's me) or violin lessons. Anything to develop her musicianship.

If she loves to sing, find a childrens choir for her to sing in. Sounds like she'd have no problem passing the audition. Don't try to turn her into the next American Idol--at least not yet.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

• Super saucy pixie!

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad
    I'm a good singer, and I didn't start voice lessons until I was 18. And I did a lot of singing growing up--not professionally, of course. I also knew a number of singers who took lessons too young and nearly had their voices ruined.

My advice: If you want to give the kid lessons--make it piano lessons (as a kid, I would have loved it--but that's me) or violin lessons. Anything to develop her musicianship.

If she loves to sing, find a childrens choir for her to sing in. Sounds like she'd have no problem passing the audition. Don't try to turn her into the next American Idol--at least not yet.
    I agree with the above. Let her enjoy being a kid before she thinks about a career in singing. The more she sings around the house, the better she will be. I wouldn't begin vocal training until her voice has matured a bit more anyway. Good luck to you both!

• Merry 2014!

A childrens choral is a wonderful idea. I agree on letting her be a kid for as long as possible.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

There is a fine line between nuturing and forcing what you want onto the child. If the kid can croon, great! But the build-up to singing should be natural, not overnight.

I speak from experience. My mother was a B'way dancer growing up and I was thrown onto the stage at the age 4. I didn't mind, but my brother? He fried and burned.

Make sure you take stock of what you want prior to action.

Honestly? I think you are going about it the right way. Too many parents do not take into consideration other people's opinions and run out and get the kid a commercial contract sight unseen.

Then they act surprised when their friends look at them funny.

Start small, see if the youngster enjoys the lessons and teacher. If it doesn't work, accept it. Don't go and say, "well, it was a bad teacher." Nope, if the kid is really into it, then it doesn't matter what the teacher does, really. Music tends to be in the blood, from my experience.

Get music toys and the like. Karoake and stuff works too to keep the interest up. Sing with them. Look at any setback as a chance to learn.

But don't do big stage auditions. They can be VERY scary for a youngster. There's no hurry. A kids choir is an excellent idea. They can make friends with similar interests.

Good luck and break a leg!

Oh yeah and
    peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• horsin' around!

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico!
    A childrens choral is a wonderful idea. I agree on letting her be a kid for as long as possible.

okay...here's my opinion....she LOOOOVES to sing... she's only 5, if she has an awsome voice..it's not going to go away :-)
    let her be little, doing something she loves to do...keep in mind... she's loving to sing NOW and it makes her happy NOW...if you 'put her out there' w/ the coaches, talent scouts & all, then a part of her and her beautiful voice becomes 'theirs' and all of a sudden something that is such a strong wonderful part of her will be critiqued...and she'll be told she's 'doing it wrong, or not good enough' then she will be expected to practice and practice...and what if she just wants to play...then what if she doesn't want to go to class that day... slowly the joy of her voice will start to drift away...and she will keep it quiet..just to herself...
    so....... all of this could simply be hypothetical (and a bit of my own childhood trauma) and have nothing to do with your daughter..but seriously consider it... for the fun end of it.. sign her up for summer theatre, musicals... then, if it's meant to be...especially where you live...the right people will hear her...

best wishes hun....

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Put her in local talent shows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast