Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sin City

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by IndyJn511
    I am under the impression that is is Film Noir style. Is this true? Cause Im always u for a good film noir....
    Really not in the traditional sense unless you remember super human nut jobs with a mug like a gorilla or mutant freaks, prostitutes who carry swords and automatic weapons...then yes its very much film noir!

No really, the style of the original comic books created by Frank Miller was based on the shadows, dialogue and detective feel of the film noir but thats where the comparissions should stop. The world of Sin City is largly based on New York street life in the late 70's and 80's when crime was at an all time high. Of course the plot and nature of the film is very very very embelished coming from a man who wrote some of the most defintive Batman comics ever, but still very over the top on purpose.

• Minion

Dammit I wanna see it, I was going to on Saturday, but I had to go out of town that day. :out::

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by IndyJn511
    I am under the impression that is is Film Noir style. Is this true? Cause Im always u for a good film noir....
    Then you'd probably really appreciate Sin City. They pull it off without being overly cheesy. I'm pretty cynical and laugh at inappropriate moments in movies (and in life), and I expected to roll my eyes at Brittany Murphy or Rosario Dawson or UGH Jessica Alba.....but they stayed SO in character and fit so well into the movie. They didn't end up being cheesy. It kept to the noir throughout the entire movie....never let it down.

The violence (and I'm pretty squeamish when it comes to hitting and kicking in the facial area) was done mostly in black and white and cartoonishly stylish. I guess I didn't identify with any of the characters being real people, so it didn't bug me at all. It totally fit.

Miho was incredible. Devon Aoki has a new fan in me, that's for sure!

And FINE, I'll share Dwight....damn, he's so hot.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    Miho was incredible. Devon Aoki has a new fan in me, that's for sure!
    Now that she's gaining fame from this movie, people will finally stop asking me who it was that I drew!...Of course I couldn't blame them it was two years ago when I drew her, no one knew who she was!

• Gay Man

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    Then you'd probably really appreciate Sin City. They pull it off without being overly cheesy. I'm pretty cynical and laugh at inappropriate moments in movies (and in life), and I expected to roll my eyes at Brittany Murphy or Rosario Dawson or UGH Jessica Alba.....but they stayed SO in character and fit so well into the movie. They didn't end up being cheesy. It kept to the noir throughout the entire movie....never let it down.
    I laughed - probably inappropriately - several times throughout the film because of the cheesy dialog. At one point, the 6 people I was with were laughing and no one else in the theater was - and some of my friends had read the books. It was the cheesyness of the dialog that had me thinking, for the first 45 minutes, that this was going to be a looooooong 2 hours. But, it just got cheesier and cheesier and over the top and became funny. It was almost a noir parody, IMO. It had a noir look - and visually, it is a stunning film - but dialog-wise it was over the top. More-so that a classic noir film.

But, I'm an almost complete outsider to the world of comics, so my take is going to be different (except my friend is married to a famous comic artist - as close as I get).

• Space Mountain Expert

Daang,
    I haven't seen this movie yet but I want to. Is it one that I can take my wife to, or is it one I should see some afternoon when work is a bit slow.... LOL
    I only hope we never lose sight of one thing... that it was all started by a mouse!

the world of disneyking

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid
    I laughed - probably inappropriately - several times throughout the film because of the cheesy dialog. At one point, the 6 people I was with were laughing and no one else in the theater was - and some of my friends had read the books. It was the cheesyness of the dialog that had me thinking, for the first 45 minutes, that this was going to be a looooooong 2 hours. But, it just got cheesier and cheesier and over the top and became funny. It was almost a noir parody, IMO. It had a noir look - and visually, it is a stunning film - but dialog-wise it was over the top. More-so that a classic noir film.

But, I'm an almost complete outsider to the world of comics, so my take is going to be different (except my friend is married to a famous comic artist - as close as I get).
    The books are not without humor....there's a lot of humor and absurdity in the books and I laughed at those moments and so did a lot of people. Many giggled at the violence....and I know I did, too. I definitely laughed more than my husband did.

I happen to think film noir is pretty cheesy, though (like I said, I'm an eye roller), so I would laugh no matter what. I just happened to think the tone of the movie matched the stories frighteningly well.

• Minion

Well, I finally made it to see this movie...

The dialoge was written in cheezewiz... The violence was as well... The fact that almost every hero in the film could take hundreds of bullets, end up in the hospital and shake it off was insane... Some of the black and white effects where quite cool.

Kill Bill at least tried to achieve pictoral realism... But it in by no means was film noir...

Sin City does take film noir to hyperdrive. But it was nice to see old school film techniques employed.

Philosophically it is an interesting film as well... Because of its Hyper Masculine Gaze... where all women sell sex... and boys play cops & gangsters, both as crooked as eachother... and the only hero is the one who sacrifices himself for love, after totally kicking the snot out of every male who crosses him. And you knew that was what you where going to get with the beginning sequence when the masculine narative force completely "bumps of" the femme fetal - the controlling force in all film noir movies.

Facinating.
    Check out my other blog:

• Greetings, Program!

Hmmmmm...I'm gettin' the vibe that I should see this flick.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    See, I didn't think it was totally hyper-masculine- I LOVED the hookers and how they were in control of themselves. I thought the women were just as strong as the men.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    You would love it Ortizmo- lots of gratutious nudity

Do you MiceChat?

DMCA for life, yo.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    You would love it Ortizmo- lots of gratutious nudity

And just what makes you think I'm that kinda......

Naw, just kiddin...COOL. EXCELLENT. Seeing it this weekend, muchas gracias DQ!!!
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Do you MiceChat?

DMCA for life, yo.

• Man O Lantern

See, I didn't think it was totally hyper-masculine- I LOVED the hookers and how they were in control of themselves. I thought the women were just as strong as the men.
    Amen!

• Minion

Well, yes they are... But the guys don't mess with them... Wasn't that a rule... And the prostitutes are only in one of the stories... except for the ones who had been eaten... of course...

And mind you there are no mothers depicted... Nor grandmothers... Just women selling sex and little girls who grow up to...

Looking around to make certain there are no little kids around...

Hey DQ?

I don't know? What do you think women being depicted in film as selling sex? To be identified only by their relationship to a man, and the content a man's... (pause for dramatic sexual tension) wallet...

(Cellarhound hands the mic back to Dramaqueen....)
    Check out my other blog:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast