Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sin City

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    cellar, I'm just curious, can you give me an example of a portayal of a "hyper sexualized" male? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just really curious as to what your definition of one would be...
    Well a "hyper sexualized" male, would be one where a male is identified primarly by their sexual characteristics.

However, I don't think men are "hyper sexualizing" themselves in Sin City...

Normally men are identify themselves by their utility. Where you are what you do... The proof are in the words are still in the common American English lexicon, though we do not like to admit they exist, because they have a "sexist" point of view... Mailman, Policeman, Chairman, Garbageman, Fireman, Salesman, Tradesman...

This is previous ideas is a view point that is expressed in the movie... Though Sin City uses street slang to push the idea forward...
    Check out my other blog:

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    Well a "hyper sexualized" male, would be one where a male is identified primarly by their sexual characteristics.

However, I don't think men are "hyper sexualizing" themselves in Sin City...
    Do you have an example of any movie where that is being done? Again, I'm just curious as to your opinion as to what it would be.
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    Do you have an example of any movie where that is being done? Again, I'm just curious as to your opinion as to what it would be.
    You don't often see Sexualized Males in the media... mostly because women often identify themselves and others by relationships... "my boyfriend," "my Husband..." etc...

You can see sexualized males in parody within music video's... And you can see it in art films like Henry and June... And maybe Eyes Wide Shut... But these are "realism."

Because of the relationship tendancies, "Hyper-sexualized" males are often tied to a preditory images... A good example is the image of a Vampire, a "romanticised" and "fantastic" symbol of a sexual preditor...

Conan is in a way a fantastic hyper sexualized male too now that I think about it... You can also see hyper sexualized men at wrestling matches too...
    Last edited by cellarhound; 04-08-2005 at 10:25 AM.
    Check out my other blog:

• Reaver of Souls

I see. Thanks for the clarification.
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Back home :-(

Whoo hoo! *Does a little happy dance* I just got my bonus from my old job, so I'm heading to the movies... after the reviews that you guys have given, I'm really excited! I'll post what I thought of it later tonight...

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MegarooFifi
    Whoo hoo! *Does a little happy dance* I just got my bonus from my old job, so I'm heading to the movies... after the reviews that you guys have given, I'm really excited! I'll post what I thought of it later tonight...
    Oh, by the way, I didn't say I didn't like the film... I like it, very much actually...
    Check out my other blog:

I just got home and my senses are still overwhelmed. I LOVED this movie... my God how I loved it. Just everything, the art direction, the script, the acting... everything was just awesome. I feel like quoting the little kid from the Incredibles "That was totally wicked!" I totally feel like just going and buying all the graphic novels...

I even loved the previews! So many sci-fi movies coming out this summer - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, War of the Worlds, even Star Wars looked good. I can't wait.

Just one question though - I didn't really get who Josh Harnett was... I didn't really understand his connection... anyone feel like enlightening me?

I saw it last weekend and I loved it. Can't wait until its on DVD.

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by MegarooFifi
    Just one question though - I didn't really get who Josh Harnett was... I didn't really understand his connection... anyone feel like enlightening me?
    I haven't read ALL the Sin City novels, but I've read 4 of them and I haven't found his character specifically in the ones I've read....but his kill at the beginning of the film reminded me of Dwight killing whatshername at the end of A Dame to Kill For (not a storyline that was in the movie). Becky came to a different end (I think) in The Big Fat Kill.

All I could guess was that the original kill was to let us know that The Salesman was a hitman, so we'd infer what happened to Becky at the end. Good stuff. Also, Josh Hartnett's initial scene was done before Frank Miller okayed the project. It's what Rodriguez filmed to convince Miller it could be done and be done right.

All righty then. I'm officially a Sin City GEEK.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    All I could guess was that the original kill was to let us know that The Salesman was a hitman, so we'd infer what happened to Becky at the end.
    *smacks head* Ohhhh... okay... I thought it might have some deeper meaning, or a storyline I wasn't catching - not just influencing our belief of what happened to Becky at the end. I have a bad habit of overanalyzing movies

• Love!

I don't have a problem with women being represented as hypersexualized. Or men as hyperprotectors. Biologically, the theory is that men are supposed to be strong (and/or wealthy) and women are supposed to be fertile so as to ensure the continuation of the species. Miller/Rodriguez are just carrying this to an extreme.

The trouble is that I'm not interested in that concept in the extreme or otherwise. I prefer watching cleverness to strength and beauty, and I found it to be lackluster in that area. Women are reflected in as bad (or worse) a light in actual Noir. The femme fatale will do anything to keep herself afloat. But she's usually pretty clever at it, and I saw little of that in Sin City.

If you're looking for actual noir, look elsewhere. This takes the shadows and light of the style but little else.

My central problem with the film was that it felt so proud of its own coolness. And if you watched it while thinking you'd seen a lot cooler things in your time, the self-pride comes off as circlejerkery.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by LSPoorEeyorick

If you're looking for actual noir, look elsewhere. This takes the shadows and light of the style but little else.

I agree with you it isn't really good Film Noir... The characters all do not feel guilty of a crime... that crime usually is a crime of passion... usually involving a woman who is locked up in a power based relationship... and wants out... And uses sex as the weapon to get what she wants, but leaves someone else holding the bag...

Casablanca has some Film Noir themes in it...

Sin City has the LOOK of film noir, but thematically it is not... Rather it harkens to the Tarrantino "Cool" aspects... Everyone has a price... The worst think you can do to a man is to take away his "masculinity"... Violence is an absurdity... Everyone is a cruel sick mother*****...

In Sin City... Women can take care of them selves... Sex is not a weapon, it is a comodity... something that is bought and sold... Or traded... Women lost their power... Because it is just an idea in a guys head, it is the drive that speaks not a woman's voice... That is differant...
    Check out my other blog:

• Santa Barbara, CA

Haven't seen Sin City.. but have seen Double Indemnity. Detour and Out of the Past...
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• șoș Tom șoș

Rumor from last week...

They also report Robert Rodriguez will be shooting two back to back sequels for "Sin City" starting February of next year for a release presumably 2007. Further, Rodriguez plans to start shooting a film titled "Conan" for Warner Bros. after he's done with the sequels.
    Source darkhorizons

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries
    I think that Sin City is one of the sexiest movies I have ever seen.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast