• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Disney Board Member Heads Up Baseball Steroids Investigation

I figured that this might be the proper forum for this one...wasn't sure, though...
    As baseball heads into another season...the steroid controversy continues to hover over it like a mushroom cloud. Barry Bonds will be chasing the game's most hallowed home run records, while a new book detailing allegations against him is flying off the shelves.
    Of particular interest here...Commissioner Bud Selig has named former Senator George Mitchell, a member of the Disney board, to head the investigation.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2390344

Oh, by the way, Mitchell has a position with the Boston Red Sox. And, oh yeah, Disney's ESPN has a mega-zillion dollar TV rights deal...what conflict?

Mitchell, meanwhile, said he will not resign his position with the Red Sox. He is also chairman of The Walt Disney Co., the parent of ESPN, a national broadcast partner of baseball.
    "I don't think there's any conflict," he said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "I'm going to be independent, have complete independent authority and will act."
    ESPN is airing a weekly behind-the-scenes look at Bonds -- with the San Francisco star's cooperation -- starting next week.
    Any thoughts???

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• win twins

Re: Disney Board Member Heads Up Baseball Steroids Investigation

The question that lingers over the steroid issue is "IF...THEN?"

as in this hypothetical situation

If Barry Bonds took steroids, then should any of his Home Run records stand?

If Mark McGwire took steroids, then should he be taken out of consideration for the Hall of Fame?

I say that any player who took steroids should be banned from baseball a la Pete Rose. Their crime is worse than Rose's ever will be.

Just goes to show you what a season Roger Maris had! (although it can be argued that Maris' "steroid" was the protection in the lineup from one Mickey Mantle!)
    Nothing matters in this whole wide world, when you're in love with a Iowa girl

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TCwalt

If Mark McGwire took steroids, then should he be taken out of consideration for the Hall of Fame?

I say that any player who took steroids should be banned from baseball a la Pete Rose. Their crime is worse than Rose's ever will be.

Just goes to show you what a season Roger Maris had! (although it can be argued that Maris' "steroid" was the protection in the lineup from one Mickey Mantle!)
    I think that the records will stand, but in a few years most of us will tend to look back on this as the "cheaters era", for right or wrong.

And in a way that's too bad. Bonds may be a real jerk, but he's still the best player in the game today. And McGwire and Sosa were still great, too...but their home run numbers are tainted.

Of course, we must remember that nothing's been proven, at least officially I guess...

Regarding Mantle and Maris, the movie Billy Crystal made, 61, is IMHO one of the best sports movies ever...

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Angry Re: Disney Board Member Heads Up Baseball Steroids Investigation

I don't think MLB is going to like the results of this investigation. It's gonna be really embarassing when they find out that 50 percent of players in the last 20 years have been taking steroids. At least that is my guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• oh bugger

I think Mitchell is an excellent choice for this position with his involvement with the Red Sox being only a minor conflict, most likely not having any effect on his work with this investigation.

As for previous records by Bonds or McGwire they'll stand, and they should too. You might have to put a * next to them, but they shouldn't go anywhere and it shouldn't have any impact on their Hall of Fame worthiness. As we'll soon see I'm sure a huge majority of players engage in steroid use. The more players we see that also used the better players like Bonds and McGwire will become, you still have to be able to hit the ball, yeah it might be going farther, and cause more homeruns instead of a double, but if you suck you will still suck when you are stronger.

Steroids doesn't make you a better player per say, a stronger one yes, but you still have to have some level of skill and talent to achieve what these guys have done.

I'm not in support of steroid use and I think its sad these guys had to resort to using them, but only time well tell how deep the problem runs and what that will mean to the major league.

• Circle of Ancients

- No

- Yes

Agreed 1000%.

I'm a baseball purist. I like McGwire and Sosa ... but if by them using substances that enhanced their game gave them an advantage over those in the past who did not then the records need to be removed.

I agree Barry ... 61* was a great movie.

• win twins

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    I'm a baseball purist. I like McGwire and Sosa ... but if by them using substances that enhanced their game gave them an advantage over those in the past who did not then the records need to be removed.
    totally agree.

• oh bugger

As much as I want to agree on all points of clinks and TC, I just am a bit pessimistic about what will be turned up in investigating steroid use in the major leagues... I feel it might be revealed just how widespread this problem is and all our baseball heros will be somewhat tainted... we'll end up only being able to put in 3 string players into the Hall of Fame because they never used steroids.... It just doesn't seem pheasable to discredit the work of these (overpayed) sports players.

• Circle of Ancients

The way I look at it is this:

The players in the past didn't have the life these players these days have. They didn't train as much as these guys did, they drank (alot of times DURING games) and they still put up great numbers. Now THATS a baseball player.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

It's interesting that while the Milwaukee used car salesman (er, the commissioner) says that Mr. Mitchell's purview extends back to 2002, it can go a lot further back (presumably meaning 1998 and the home run chase) if he finds compelling evidence (I'm paraphrasing Mr. Selig here).

There's no question that Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa helped to rescue baseball that year, from the strike of 1994. And if Mr. Selig denies that baseball turned a blind eye to the steroid rumors back then, he's being less than honest.

If it is proven that illegal steroids were used, than all the home run records and the like should be taken off the books. I'm just not sure how you do that, though, with respect to other players that are likely using...and just how big a can of worms do we want to open here.

And in the days before free agency, at least pre-mid 70's, most players didn't have time to train year round because they were working other jobs in the off season to help make ends meet.

Barry

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Question Re: Disney Board Member Heads Up Baseball Steroids Investigation

Playing devil's advocate here, what if it turns out that hundreds of players were on the stuff. Are fans across the board going to tolerate hundreds of their favorite players being kicked out of the game and the obvious gap of time that will be un-represented in the Hall of Fame?
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• win twins

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper
    Playing devil's advocate here, what if it turns out that hundreds of players were on the stuff. Are fans across the board going to tolerate hundreds of their favorite players being kicked out of the game and the obvious gap of time that will be un-represented in the Hall of Fame?
    I would say yes. This era of baseball is already being called the "steroid" era. Guys like Bonds, Sosa, McGwire- they undoubtedly put people in the seats in the midst of their home run chase but the fact that it was allegedly tainted with steroids makes fans themselves feel cheated.

There are plenty of players like Cal Ripken Jr. that are perfect role models of what the game is all about- showing up and performing at a professional level day in and day out. Players like Eric Gagne whose passion for the game drives their excellence. These are the people that will be recognized in a positive light, while those that went aganist tradition will be punished.

I honestly believe that 50 years from now, Bonds will be looked at as a great player early in his career with legit MVP awards, but his alleged use of steroids taints his home run spree.

You want one of my favorite ballplayers of today?
    Darin Erstad. Plays smart, plays hard, plays to win...no matter what. More of today's ballplayers should take notice of him.

[/soapbox]

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

You want one of my favorite ballplayers of today?
    Darin Erstad. Plays smart, plays hard, plays to win...no matter what. More of today's ballplayers should take notice of him.

[/soapbox]
    AMEN to that, TC ... Too bad more fans don't know about him because he's spent his career in relative obscurity in Anaheim. All he does is just play wherever Mike Sciosia asks him to play, hit wherever he's asked to hit in the lineup, and then proceed to go full tilt from first pitch to final out, more than 160 times a year. For a media guy he's an anathema because he doesn't give good "sound bites". He's so intense he comes off like a bit of a jerk sometimes. But unlike Bonds, he doesn't carry around a chip on his shoulder the size of San Francisco Bay.

Back to the topic...question...is George Mitchell the right guy to head this investigation? Probably. But what about his Disney/ESPN ties and a possible conflict of interest...

Barry