Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36
  1. #16

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    A few miles from where Disney's America should have been
    Posts
    536

    Re: "Chicken Little" Scores Big - All Headline News - 3/31/06

    Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    What is really going to be interesting is how The Wild does...
    I'm anticipating something in the neighborhood of "Hoodwinked" or "Doogal" or Disney's "Valiant". In other words...blech.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter


  2. #17

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: "Chicken Little" Scores Big - All Headline News - 3/31/06

    Quote Originally Posted by Doopey1
    I'm anticipating something in the neighborhood of "Hoodwinked" or "Doogal" or Disney's "Valiant". In other words...blech.
    Well the anticipation for many analysts is that the Wild should do as well as Chicken Little. Which would put it in the $40 mill opening range...

    Apparently $40 million opening is considered a hit... I don't know... The problem with the Wild is that the idea is ripped off from DreamWorks' Madagascar... (which I thought was a decent enough of a film...)

    However, the emperor here is in his long johns... Do you think anyone should tell him?
    Check out my other blog:

  3. #18

    • MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information
    Posts
    13,137

    Re: "Chicken Little" Scores Big - All Headline News - 3/31/06

    Any studio would be thrilled with a $40 million opening (excluding huge franchises like Star Wars, Harry Potter, POTC...)

    Not that it matters but here's some impressive numbers (minus out promotion, publicity, prints, etc.), still not bad:

    Domestic: $135,326,026
    + Foreign: $177,403,000 = Worldwide: $312,729,026 http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...ckenlittle.htm
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

  4. #19

    • Disney Memory Maker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kissimmee, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,671

    Re: "Chicken Little" Scores Big - All Headline News - 3/31/06

    Look, it wasn't a "bomb". It made money. But it is a "failure" because it failed to demonstrate that Disney would be "just fine" without Pixar.
    And yet not. It prooved that Disney could make CGI films that did not bomb. The thing about Pixar's early films is that besides the fact that no one had ever made a serious CGI film before, they really didn't have any big competition (the closest thing to major competition Bug's Life had was Patch Adams in week 5 & TS faced Jumanji (which wasn't that big) in week 3, but really had no other competition. While on the other hand, CL had a fantastic 2nd weekend but had to face the uberhit Harry Potter in week three & beyond).

    If you want me to put out PIXAR's numbers for Incredibles right next to it and show how it dwarfs the two, I will more than happily do so...
    And Shrek 2 kicks the crap out of all of Pixars films. Does that mean Shrek 2 is a better film than any of Pixar's?

    Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    What is really going to be interesting is how The Wild does...
    The Wild was not made by Disney, so it really isn't going to be that interesting.

    Apparently $40 million opening is considered a hit... I don't know... The problem with the Wild is that the idea is ripped off from DreamWorks' Madagascar... (which I thought was a decent enough of a film...)
    The Wild is not a ripoff of Madagascar. It was in production before Madagascar ever started. It's a completely different movie and if you look at the online clip (which I believe is on Apple's website), it is also a very funny movie.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

  5. #20

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: "Chicken Little" Scores Big - All Headline News - 3/31/06

    Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    Any studio would be thrilled with a $40 million opening (excluding huge franchises like Star Wars, Harry Potter, POTC...)

    Not that it matters but here's some impressive numbers (minus out promotion, publicity, prints, etc.), still not bad:

    Domestic: $135,326,026
    + Foreign: $177,403,000 = Worldwide: $312,729,026 http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...ckenlittle.htm
    Sigh... You are going to make me pull numbers aren't you?

    I already did a thourough numbers analysis on another thread... it's been archived...
    Last edited by cellarhound; 04-03-2006 at 12:39 PM.
    Check out my other blog:

  6. #21

    • Disney Memory Maker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kissimmee, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,671

    Re: "Chicken Little" Scores Big - All Headline News - 3/31/06

    Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    Sigh... You are going to make me pull numbers aren't you?

    I already did a thourough numbers analysis on another thread... it's been archived...
    Stop comparing it to other films & look at the movie by itself.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

  7. #22

    • This is my car, Stitch :)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States
    Posts
    9,958

    Re: "Chicken Little" Scores Big - All Headline News - 3/31/06

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor
    Stop comparing it to other films & look at the movie by itself.
    Exactly. I saw Chicken Little in theatres on Thanksgiving in 3D and thought it was great and I bought the film the first day it was out on DVD. Man am I sick off all you guys just hating on this film, you all refuse to see it and insist that it's an awful movie...that's like a child refusing to eat its veggies because they don't like them even though they have never tried them.

  8. #23

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    A few miles from where Disney's America should have been
    Posts
    536

    Re: "Chicken Little" Scores Big - All Headline News - 3/31/06

    You can look at the movie by itself in terms of your own opinion. Alot of people seemed to enjoy CL and I respect that.

    But you cannot judge whether the film is a success by looking at the film by itself. You have to compare it to other computer animated films.

    If Disney wanted to demonstrate that it could perform just as well in computer animation without Pixar, CL was a failure. Compared to Pixar films, it did not match up critically or financially. Period. End of story. It does not matter if it made a profit or got a handful of good notices (and it only got a handful, it was mostly panned). Disney had to prove that it could do just as good a job as Pixar, not merely good enough to get by. And CL failed on this mark.

    And do not blame the competition with Harry Potter. CL was rated G and Harry Potter was PG-13. Their audiences overlap certainly but they are also alot of differences in their core audiences.

    So, I am not criticizing you for liking Chicken Little. I'm glad you liked it. I am not suggesting that it was a bomb and made no money. I am saying that it did not accomplish what Disney needed it to accomplish. I do not think that can be disputed.

    And Mike you are right about "The Wild". It was not produced by Disney.
    The last time Disney did this was with "Valiant" and it bombed. We'll see if history repeats.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter


  9. #24

    • Disney Memory Maker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kissimmee, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,671

    Re: "Chicken Little" Scores Big - All Headline News - 3/31/06

    Quote Originally Posted by Doopey1
    But you cannot judge whether the film is a success by looking at the film by itself. You have to compare it to other computer animated films.

    If Disney wanted to demonstrate that it could perform just as well in computer animation without Pixar, CL was a failure. Compared to Pixar films, it did not match up critically or financially. Period. End of story. It does not matter if it made a profit or got a handful of good notices (and it only got a handful, it was mostly panned). Disney had to prove that it could do just as good a job as Pixar, not merely good enough to get by. And CL failed on this mark.
    Okay, then let me make a perfectly fair statement using that logic. Adjusted for inflation, The Lion King made $494 million. Compared to that, Pixar has never made a film that matched up to it. Period. End of Story. It does not matter if their movies did good in their own right, Pixar's biggest movie doesn't even come close to Disney's 4th biggest animated movie.

    Now back to reality, to measure a films success, you have to look at it by itself. It's like saying Lost isn't a success because 5 or so more million people watch Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy. To measure a films success, you have to look at it's budget & how much it made worldwide (and then you can go into merchandice, DVDs, etc (which apparently CL is also doing very well in)).

    And do not blame the competition with Harry Potter. CL was rated G and Harry Potter was PG-13. Their audiences overlap certainly but they are also alot of differences in their core audiences.
    Harry Potter opened with over $100 million, I call that major competition. And despite the rating, Harry Potter has almost the exact same demographics as Chicken Little (minus the toddlers). The Harry Potter series until now was rated PG. Do you think the same people who saw HP1-3 are going to say "this one's rated pg-13 so let's not see it." No, the movie was seen by almost every age group.

    The last time Disney did this was with "Valiant" and it bombed. We'll see if history repeats.
    Valiant (in my opinion) sucked while The Wild looks like a very funny film (with a great voice cast & animation). Also remember that Disney did pretty much no advertising for Valiant while The Wild is getting a pretty large share of marketing.

    -Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

  10. #25

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: "Chicken Little" Scores Big - All Headline News - 3/31/06

    Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626
    Exactly. I saw Chicken Little in theatres on Thanksgiving in 3D and thought it was great and I bought the film the first day it was out on DVD. Man am I sick off all you guys just hating on this film, you all refuse to see it and insist that it's an awful movie...that's like a child refusing to eat its veggies because they don't like them even though they have never tried them.
    Look, I saw the movie, I posted my review of it... It was OK, it was character oriented and I liked the characters, the plot needed serious work - and I thought they made some serious misteps... I concluded, that I would only advocate people seing it in Disney Digital 3D ...

    Video is not Disney Digital 3D. As far as a video i would have to give it a thumbs down...

    I stand by my analysis of the film, and that is just that...

    If you don't like what I have to say about it, that's fine, but I think what I had to say, and my carefull analysis of the numbers is fair and valid... For what it was it will make money, but it is not on par with the best films that have come out of Pixar and Dreamworks... the question is where do you establish the benchmark... $40 million seems to be the benchmark, any more than that you got yourself better than a hit...

    Chicken Little is not a bomb, but it IS what I would consider an under performance both business wise and artistic wise... Disney can and will do better now that they have Lasseter over looking feature animation.

    So any argument we have here is MOOT... Iger already made the decision to make better films...
    Check out my other blog:

  11. #26

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: "Chicken Little" Scores Big - All Headline News - 3/31/06

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor
    Okay, then let me make a perfectly fair statement using that logic. Adjusted for inflation, The Lion King made $494 million.
    Chicken Little - World Wide Gross = $312,762,110

    Shrek 2 - World Wide Gross = $920,665,658

    Lion King - World Wide Gross = $783,841,776
    Finding Nemo - World Wide Gross = $864,625,978



    The Chicken is at least half the the bird it should be...
    Check out my other blog:

  12. #27

    • Disney Memory Maker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kissimmee, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,671

    Re: "Chicken Little" Scores Big - All Headline News - 3/31/06

    Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    Shrek 2 - World Wide Gross = $920,665,658

    Lion King - World Wide Gross = $783,841,776
    Finding Nemo - World Wide Gross = $864,625,978
    Adjusted for inflation, TLK comes in at about $1.2 billion. That dwarfs Finding Nemo, but does that mean Finding Nemo wasn't a success? Does that make Nemo any worser of a film to know that a movie from 1995 got almost half a million more? I don't think so.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

  13. #28

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: "Chicken Little" Scores Big - All Headline News - 3/31/06

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor
    The Wild was not made by Disney, so it really isn't going to be that interesting.
    Quite presumptious, grasshopper... Goes with my theory that only things made by disney glow in your eyes... and people accuse me of being bias against Disney?

    The Wild is not a ripoff of Madagascar. It was in production before Madagascar ever started. It's a completely different movie and if you look at the online clip (which I believe is on Apple's website), it is also a very funny movie.
    Really considering Madagascar BEAT this film to distirbution by over a YEAR... I would say that this production company has a problem, and should sue DreamWorks for damages in a law intelectual property rights suit, shouldn't it?
    Check out my other blog:

  14. #29

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: "Chicken Little" Scores Big - All Headline News - 3/31/06

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor
    Adjusted for inflation, TLK comes in at about $1.2 billion. That dwarfs Finding Nemo, but does that mean Finding Nemo wasn't a success? Does that make Nemo any worser of a film to know that a movie from 1995 got almost half a million more? I don't think so.
    What the heck does this have to do with Chicken Little?

    Nothing... You are arguing for no reason...

    In fact the only think you have proven is that perhaps Iger should have gone after Katsenberg...
    Check out my other blog:

  15. #30

    • Disney Memory Maker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kissimmee, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,671

    Re: "Chicken Little" Scores Big - All Headline News - 3/31/06

    Quite presumptious, grasshopper... Goes with my theory that only things made by disney glow in your eyes... and people accuse me of being bias against Disney?
    If you read my posts you'll see that I have said multiple times that The Wild looks like a very good film that's funny and has a very good voice cast & animation. I'm just pointing out that how it does is not reflective of Disney's animation.

    What the heck does this have to do with Chicken Little?

    Nothing... You are arguing for no reason...

    In fact the only think you have proven is that perhaps Iger should have gone after Katsenberg...
    You say CL didn't do as good because you are comparing it to other films. I am comparing Nemo to other films using the same exact logic as you proving that you can't judge a films success based on other films.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Make Your Own Weekly Wolrd News Headline
    By mouseinphilly in forum Fun and Games
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-28-2007, 10:59 AM
  2. Six Flags Magic Mountain scores an "F" with the Better Business Bureau
    By sir clinksalot in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 02:23 PM
  3. "Chicken Little" critical for Disney reputation- Reuters- 10/23/05
    By dramaqueen in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2005, 08:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •