Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Banned User

Re: "Chicken Little" Scores Big - All Headline News - 3/31/06

If TLK is supposed to be the movie by which all others are measured, then certainly Disney should have the best shot at making movies that meet such a lofty standard.
    The fact that it hasn't and doesn't and can't IS the problem with the company and its hopefully former strategy of putting out profitable "singles and doubles." And that's why the steroid user known as PIXAR was purchased. (Yes, enough with the baseball analogy already!)

CL was a single, which, in baseball terms, is better than striking out. It will be forgotten in about three months. Maybe I'll see it when the price is right: included as part of my basic cable package, which gives me ABC Family Channel. Or, maybe I'll BORROW it from the relative who gets DVDs at a cast-member discount. (Usually, we buy from him at the discounted price.)
    My kids were lukewarm to it. That tells me a lot. (Yeah, they're expert movie critics!)
    Money isn't everything when it comes to determining the greatness of a movie. It's a slightly positive correlator of indicativeness, but the teen market skews the data pretty badly.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    If TLK is supposed to be the movie by which all others are measured, then certainly Disney should have the best shot at making movies that meet such a lofty standard.
    That's missing the whole point of my statement. The point was that you can't judge a success of one film by comparing it to anyother. You judge the success of a film by how well it does, not anything else.

It will be forgotten in about three months.
    How can you say that (note to anyone with a sarcastic answer, that was rhetorical). A few years from now, we'll know what is memorable and what is not. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Fantasia a flop when it originally came out? Wasn't Disneyland supposed to be the park that would never last? Wasn't the Titanic the ship that would never sink? Point is, we don't know now what will and will not be remembered in the future.

Maybe I'll see it when the price is right: included as part of my basic cable package, which gives me ABC Family Channel. Or, maybe I'll BORROW it from the relative who gets DVDs at a cast-member discount. (Usually, we buy from him at the discounted price.) My kids were lukewarm to it. That tells me a lot. (Yeah, they're expert movie critics!)
    I am a bit confused, did you ever actually see the movie yourself.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor
    You say CL didn't do as good because you are comparing it to other films. I am comparing Nemo to other films using the same exact logic as you proving that you can't judge a films success based on other films.
    Of course you didn't listen to me... I said CL is at bench mark level... It is par for the course... its nothing to write home about... it stives to reach new hights in medocrity... Ho hum... It"s sniffing daisies in right field... it's a bird that wishes it's wings worked... Its a half baked Pizza and you don't have an oven... It got a C's in Shop... It's not hamburger, it's spamburger... It was an apartif with no main course... It's not bad, not good, but just OK...

It could have been. It should have been. But wasn't quite...
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

That's missing the whole point of my statement. The point was that you can't judge a success of one film by comparing it to anyother. You judge the success of a film by how well it does, not anything else.
    Well, you can judge it by what it is and what it could have been , based on the effort put into it, compared with other films by the same company, and spot a trend.
    How can you say that (note to anyone with a sarcastic answer, that was rhetorical). A few years from now, we'll know what is memorable and what is not. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Fantasia a flop when it originally came out? Wasn't Disneyland supposed to be the park that would never last? Wasn't the Titanic the ship that would never sink? Point is, we don't know now what will and will not be remembered in the future.
    Yeah, people have made lots of mistakes in the past in their opinions. I have made my opinion (yes, it was an opinion, not an absolute truth, and I shouldn't have to disclose that for each sentence I write), and we'll see whether it stands up. To claim it won't, based on anecdotal evidence, some of which is not related to movies, and to dismiss all opinions on the future is specious at best. Surely, you have some opinion of the future? I certainly wouldn't dismiss yours for that reason, but that's me.

Fantasia might have been a financial flop, but its quality withstood the test of time. More important point: Walt Disney made it because he thought it was good. Eisner made movies only to make money (again, IMO). Now, who's method/madness has more clout?

I am a bit confused, did you ever actually see the movie yourself.
    No, I didn't. Based on what I saw, previews advertisements, a chicken doing the Emperor's New Groove dance, the opinions of posters here that I have respect for, an awful Oscar presentation, etc., I couldn't possibly spend any of my money on it. Yes, that is a way to base the quality of the movie: by how much I spend on it. (A really bad movie would be one that I could sue for wasting my time, and net a profit from. Hasn't happened yet, though.)

• Minion

Yes you can, critical thinking is a long standing and honorable tradtion that goes back well over 3 thousand years... You can't win this kind of argument, Mike...

How do you know how well a film does if you DON'T compare it to how well other films do? I mean really... you CANT compare it to itself unless you are the first do do it... This is not the first CG Animated feature on the market...

You do a 40 million opening, and Shrek 2 does 100 million?

Yeah, there really is no comparison is there... CL MUST be minor league...

Shareholders want the BEST return for their investment, Mike... They don't just want a return... They don't want underperformance... And like wise Audiances don't like being fooled out of their $10 they want the best value for their $...

You can still be in profit and play it safe, but if you are working diligently to produce your first CGI film from a DISNEY animation studio... You BETTER be trying to hit long balls in animation... Otherwise you will be booed off the field... (I thought it did with Disney Digital 3D... It was worth every penny of my $14... but not everyone can see it in that format...)

Got news for you with their current track record over the last 10 years... The Bronx Salute we have been hearing wasn't just the giant chicken head deflaiting at DCA...
    Check out my other blog:

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

To put it a different way, had "Chicken Little" grossed $250 million domestic, made it onto a bunch of critics top ten lists, and won the Best Animated Film Oscar, it would have been much less likely that Disney would have bought Pixar.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123