• Reaver of Souls

The mystery of Spidey's eye - One possibility...

OK, so the last 2 Spidey movie posters showed the main villain reflected in 'ole webwead's eye, and this new poster is causing a stir. What is in Spidey's eye? Is it simply a reflestion of the storm, a metaphore for inner turmoil withing Spidey? Hinting that the true villain is within? Or is it something else?

Let's take a look, shall we, true believers?

First, the poster itself...

Now let's close up on that eye...

What caught my eye (no pun intended!) was the white shape, sort of tapering to a point towards the upper left. Thaen I got to thinking, this is rumored to be one of the villains this time around...

Could it be some sort of refection of Venom's right eye we're seeing, reflected in Spidey's own left eye? An interesting concept. Let's see...

It roughlt fits the shape and concept of V's eye, allowing for distortion and stylization from the artists involved in the film. I mean, let's face it - if scrawny little Topher is supposed to pass as Eddie Brock, and we do see a Venom in this film, he apt to look very different from the V we're used to. Unless the symbiote instantly adds a foot or two in height and about 150 lbs in muscle...

It's a stretch, I know. And I'm not even saying I think this is the case. But it's a possibility. Let's not forget that these are the people who tokk a cool, possibly really freaky character like this...

and for some unknown reason, turned him into this...

Power Rangers, go!

I'm excited and nervous about 3...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• ...TWO BITS!

Re: The mystery of Spidey's eye - One possibility...

First time I saw the poster, I looked into his eye and saw either Green Goblin or Hobgoblin to hint at Harry Osbourne possibly being one of the other by the end of the film. Just a thought. IT COULD EVEN BE BOTH!

Their reason for the film's Goblin look is because the equipment and costume were built for military use. So it makes sense to go with the way they went.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11
    Their reason for the film's Goblin look is because the equipment and costume were built for military use. So it makes sense to go with the way they went.
    I see that for the body armor and the glider, but the helmet/mask? What military would have their soldiers wear those things?

And really, with Dafoe looking like he does, why have the mask at all!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

The one and only photo I saw from the shoot was Thomas Hayden Church dressed exactly like Sandman. I thought he was to be the villian? Or are they going to do the Batman thing and have two? You are more into this, but your discussions make me more interested...keep the info coming!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719
    The one and only photo I saw from the shoot was Thomas Hayden Church dressed exactly like Sandman. I thought he was to be the villian? Or are they going to do the Batman thing and have two? You are more into this, but your discussions make me more interested...keep the info coming!

Peace,
    Roo
    Yes, they are supposdly doing the two villian thing. Topher Grace's character has yet to be announced. I think there is one comic storyline where he would work as Eddie Brock, but this is still different from the majority of presentations of him. Kristen Dunst, at a presentation, said that the villian would be Sandman and Venom, but she has yet to read the script. Spider-man's black suit in the poster only helps lends to this concept. But add onto that that Sam Raimi, the director, has said Venom would not appear in any Spider-Man film directed by him.

I saw somewhere a "spoiler" that had Grace playing Electro. It is highly suspect at best however, as it does not feature some known story elements. Most notable the "spoiler" lacked any mention of Gwen Stacey, who will be in played by Bryce Dallas Howard.

• Reaver of Souls

There are quite a few rumors out there at this point. Elizabeth Banks said this in an MTV interview:

"I do definitely sort of explore a little bit more of my relationship with Peter Parker," revealed Banks, who portrays J. Jonah Jameson employee Betty Brant in the movies. "I learned my lesson a long time ago that you never comment on how big your part is going to be in movies because you can always be cut out."

Still, Banks admitted, the groundwork is being laid for a Peter-Betty relationship much like the office romance they shared in the comics.
    Which is interesting, considering how 2 ended. It seemed Peter and M.J. were all set then, except for the odd, ominous musical turn that was thrown in right as Spidey takes off and M.J. is standing at the window. Go listen to it on the DVD, see if you don't agree.

There has been a lot of talk about Peter exploring the nature of being a Superhero in this film. Struggling with the good vs. bad, the possibilities of having all of this power that he has. Power corrupts, as they say, and Peter might be feeling that now, especially if the symbiote is like the comic book version, and will make Peter practically invulnerable and double his already super strength. He's been through the "this is new and cool!" phase, through the "this is screwing up my life!" phase, and now that he's in the acceptance phase (or so it seems), he might have to deal with what it all means, and how to balance right and wrong, justice vs. personal desires. There's a thing line between hero and vigilante, after all...

The symbiote adds a new dimension to that. I mentioned this before, but the symbiote saga is long and twisted in the comics, and I don't see how they'll compress it into one film and make Venom a fightable villain. I see it far more likely that they introduce the symbiote at the beginning of the film, spend the majority of the film fighting Sandman, while dealing with these inner struggles (which would also be accentuated and amplified by the desires of the symbiote), and after defeating Sandman, Peter has to figure out how to get rid of the darned thing, because it won't want to leave. The end of the film could pull a scene directly from the comic book, wich Peter in the bell tower of a church, using the bells to drive the symbiote off of him (fire and sonic waves being the only weakness of the symbiote), and it falls through the bell tower into the church below, finding Eddie (who will already hate Spider-Man for his own reasons), and joining with him. The last thing we see is a battered and tired Spidey leaving the bell tower, and a newly-formed Venom on the roof of the tower behind him, watching him go, that big Venom grin suddenly forming on his face. Roll credits.

That would be an incredible ending, and it woulod allow for two struggles (which the first two movies also had) to go on throughout the movie - one outward and one inward. And since Sandman isn't quice the cool villain as Doc Oc or Goblin, it will probably give us more time to focus on Spidey himself. In the comic books, during the syombiote saga, before Peter discovered that the suit was alive, Peter would do his normal daytime thing, then go home, thake off his "costume", and go to sleep. Then the symbiote would come back to him as he slept, form around him as the suit, and go out and fight crimes and such without Peter's knowledge. All peter knew is that he was tired all the time, and didn't know why. I revevmer one scene where, after catching a group of villains, a police officer tried to talk to Spidey (who was asleep in the suit), and Spidey just stood there, looking all black and slightly sinister, not saying a word. I always found that creepy. Now look at the poster again. My first thought was "He looks like he's either asleep, or very depressed." Could be they're setting up both the inner struggle and the symbiote in one shot. If so, it's quite clever...

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I don't know we will see anything that related to the comic books. Raimi has said that this film will deviate the most from the comic books. Of course, there are so many different continuities in the Marvel universe who could just speaking in terms of 626. However, I am not very familiar with the continuities and do not know which ones are most represented in the films.

• Minion

Harry Osbourne couldnt be the green goblin he could only be the Hobgoblin.

Amazing Spider-Man #244-#245
    Jason

• враг народа

Blog Entries

No, Harry Osbourne can be the Green Goblin.

http://spiderfan.org/characters/greengoblin2.html

• Senior Minion

Could it be the Sandman? It almost looks like the same form. In the eye, Venom would be my second choice.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

My first thought was that it's Venom in Spidey's eye.

Guess we'll have to wait and see...wait on, true believers!
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Topher Grace's character has yet to be announced.
    I've heard he's playing Venom.