Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tarzan Trouble?

• Minion

Tarzan Trouble?

Preview reviews are hitting the boards:

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/alltha....php?id=245162

>>I saw my first musical in 1957.

Since then, among others, I've seen MOLLY, A DOLL'S LIFE, CARRIE, GRIND, BERNARDA ALBA, PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED, METROPOLIS, MOBY DICK, TWO BY TWO, SHOGUN, REX, SQUONK, MERLIN, HAPPY NEW YEAR, CYRANO, SUGAR, HOW NOW DOW JONES, ILLYA DARLING, GOODTIME CHARLIE, SKYSCRAPER, THE RED SHOES, SLOW DRAG, JEAN SEBERG, THE VILLAINS OPERA, and MINNIE'S BOYS.

TARZAN is by far the worst musical I have ever seen. Every department. Don't take my word for it. Go see it. You have time. They have a $20 million dollar advance. Lots of moms and dads out there.

I am so, so sad and disheartened tonight. Truly.<<

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/alltha....php?id=245301

>>I thought TARZAN was lame but I'm not sure it was worse than "HOW DO YOU DO,I LOVE YOU", "ONE NIGHT STAND" , "A MOTHERS KISSES" ,"PREPPIES" , "W.C." , "A JOYFUL NOISE or "IN SOMEONE ELSES SANDALS" some of my favorite flops I've seen.<<

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/alltha....php?id=245255

>>AFter the opening, there was no flying any more interesting than the opening, but we spent all night watching any nunmber of actors hooking and unhooking themselves from ropes.

The music is repetitive, not very interesting, and does nothing to create character - nor do the lyrics which are pretty inane. I choose my word with care.
    It is all very loud though.

Almost every song is staged like a Phil Collins concert would be. The actor stands someplace and sings til its over. In one number in Act 2 all Jane can find to do is twist her hair - over and over.

Inexplicably, after seeing all the monkeys fly, and seeing ma and pa walk down a wall, Jane gets to enter singing on a hammock and fly all the way down from the top of the proscenium. For no reason.

Even though Tarzan is a man, and has a problem flying through the trees, he does it the identical way the monkeys do. Swinging on ropes.

At the end of an endless night, when the point is hammered home (thanks Disney) about FAMILY, don't kill gorillas they have FAMILIES - Jane stays in the jungle with Tarzan (bad choice Jane) because of him and his world. But the final image is not Tarzan, Jane, and family. Its Tarzan and Jane being hoisted up on a rope - alone - yet again.

In a world where we have seen Cirquie de Soleil and the work of Robert LePage, the illusion and stage craft is clunk and unimaginative, as is the direction. Its almost like Disney was offended that Julie Taymor got all the attention for LION KING, and they vowed to go back to a really mediocre director - the guy who gave us the clunk, uninspired BEAUTY AND THE BEAST.

I've seen quite a few aerial dance companies over the past 5 years, in addition to Cirque etc., and the monkey flying in this show just seems to be artless and boring.

ANd poor Shuler Hemsley looks even unhappier than he did in Trailer Park.

Tarzan has a great body and lots of other beefcake is on display. Young girls scream.

Jane enters in a dress ribbed out so she looks EXACTLY like a teacup in BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, just so she can do a "stunt" on the back wall - together with some of the ugliest animal costumes ever.

And the butterfly ballet is some one's really bad late nite bar idea.

I didn't believe in a single moment of the show. I didn't believe in a single character. I felt the stagecraft was a victory of lack of imagination over endless cash.

There's a moment late in the show where the set suddenly looks like a giant mound of stale Swiss Cheese with limp green spaghett hanging in front of it.

For all of its clunkiness and bad illusions - BEAUTY AND THE BEAST in its cartoon form, much like the film of MARY POPPINS, pretty much was a Broadway musical already, so the transition was smooth. LION KING was tougher - and Disney brough in two heavy hitters - Julie Taymor and Gartha Fagan.

But with TARZAN they have gone back to the third guy from the left, and the result is on stage staring back at us.

Not trying to be cruel, or unjust. But what I saw was dispiriting, depressing, and saddening to me.

I did notice that the 8 people flogging CDS were not doing a land office biz after the show.<<

• I was deleted.

Re: Tarzan Trouble?

Hm... I know that Ron was going to see a preview of this. I really want to hear what he has to say because I just think I'm going to see it regardless! As if I'm going to give yoyoflamingo the choice?!?

• Practically Perfect

hmm...not sounding too promising. I was really looking forward to this, but I guess not EVERY disney stage show can be a hit. I think I'd still be curious to see it for myself though...

• I Hug My Tapirs

Remember, though, that it's still got over a month until it officially opens. Previews are for seeing what works and what doesn't.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

Frankly, I am surprised, I would think a musical based on the Tarzan cartoon with Phil Collins music would shine!

Wait, I've come back to this post because the answer came to me as I prepared to sleep in yon bed. I think the musicals only error was that it was based on a Tarzan cartoon with music by Phil Collins. Other then that it should have been smooth sailing.

In fact, maybe the musical should have been about sailing. Worse, I fear this forever dooms the Broadway ambitions for the film, The North Avenue Irregulars.
    Last edited by Tref; 04-10-2006 at 12:52 AM.
    Tref ...

• Banned User

Well.. it's nice to see my worst fears coming true - they made AK's Tarzan: SUCKS! even worse.

This is a sad day for theatre.

• Vehicle rotating backward

The guy in merlin's post who mentions Robert LePage gets my applauding mouse mitters of approval because he's seen KA as well and knows that it does theater in ways Disney can only dream about.

Of course, it charges over $100 for a ticket, but that's how things go I guess.

•   
    • Minion

Here is the thing... I don't believe that Disney should focus on musicals as attractions in theme parks in an effort to draw customers... I mean, I see the ones opening in WDW and say why??? If people want so see a musical on the east coast go to New York, Chicago, Ontario or a hundreds of other cities...

Tarzan really isn't going to be the draw that Expidition Everest will be... And maybe give people something to do....

And the problem of Musicals as attractions goes for California as well... It is a cop out when attraction space really needs to desperately be revitalized for the same effect.
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

cellarhound, the thread is about the tarzan musical opening on broadway not shows in the parks

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95
    cellarhound, the thread is about the tarzan musical opening on broadway not shows in the parks
    By the same token, why open a broadway show that has been around theme parks for a while? That seems to be as bad of a choice....
    Check out my other blog:

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

^^ You mean like "The Lion King", the Tony-award winning, blockbuster broadway musical and "Festival of the Lion King", the very popular DAK attraction? Or how about "Beauty and the Beast", the 10+ years running very successful Broadway musical and "Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage", the also long-running very popular Disney-MGM attraction?

For whatever problems it may have, I'm guessing that Tarzan the Broadway show is a higher-quality product than "Tarzan Rocks!".
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

Well I will judge the new broadway show for my self when I see it on June 24th! I actually liked Tarzan Rocks at DAK so I can't imagine this being worse. The official opening is not till May 10 so give them a chance to work it out, stage shows get minor adjustments all the time.

• Drunk On Disney

Eeek. The broadway musical business is really tough. Maybe Disney will strike out (after a few home runs like Lion King and Beast.)

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• is satisfactual.

A musical based on Phil Collins music turned out bland and uninspired?

Well I never!

• The one, the only...

I have always felt that some stories lend themselves better for a particular media. There are Broadway shows that flop as a movie. There are great books that fail on the "big screen." There are great television shows that fail as movies. Here we have a wonderful animated movie, that failed as a Broadway show.

I wish Disney would stop milking their products dry by retelling their stories OVER and OVER in every conceivable medium. Walt was right to choose fairy tales because they do have a transcendence about them and can be retold many times, but they too can be over done.

Books and Broadway are great SOURCES for new material for movies and television. That was true for years. Going the other way, from movies and television to Broadway is just wrong!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast