Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 75
  1. #16

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    12,350

    Re: Woman Dies After Riding "Mission: Space" - WFTV, 4/12/06

    Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    The Haunted Mansion is almost always walk on. Should it be removed?
    No, but you don't hear of people being killed on it either.

  2. #17

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    12,350

    Re: Woman Dies After Riding "Mission: Space" - WFTV, 4/12/06

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt
    I just don't understand how these things happen. While standing in line for this ride you hear an announcement practically every five minutes on who should not ride this ride! You also see signs everywhere, and I mean everywhere! Are these people in line not seeing the signs or hearing the announcements? I was once in line with this old guy and saw him after the ride. I asked him how he liked it and he said he didn't. He was claustrophobic and hated being close in. I stared at him with my mouth open in complete bewilderment. Did he not hear the warnings about people who are claustrophobic should not ride this ride? Oh well. To each his own.

    But I am sure, in all fairness, that maybe some people do not realize they have high blood pressure, or heart problems and go on these ride thinking they are completely healthy. Then a tragedy like this happens. I feel for the family. I just hope they don't decide to sue.
    I agree and beautifully put.

    I don't dislike the ride, it just doesn't suit me. However, do I think it should be replaced, maybe, maybe not. I think from Disney's stand point with the all the negative pubilicity surrounding the ride they will probably consider it. But I believe all of the deaths that occurred on the ride happened because a person had a condition they weren't aware of when they got on.

    In a perfect world people will recognize the signs of danger and think, "Oh I shouldn't go on that ride because of X reason." But if we lived in a perfect world we wouldn't get run over by strollers at the parks either.

  3. #18

    • I'm your huckleberry.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ventura County, CA
    Posts
    6,176

    Re: Woman Dies After Riding "Mission: Space" - WFTV, 4/12/06

    I heard about this on Good Morning America this morning. The first thing I thought about was the MiceChatters going to WDW in October. I'm a little scared for you guys!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

  4. #19

    • is FIERCE!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere Major
    Posts
    8,004
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Woman Dies After Riding "Mission: Space" - WFTV, 4/12/06

    I'm no doctor, but it sounds to me like another undiagnosed heart problem. Nausea, dizziness, and a general feeling of ickiness are all indicators of heart- releated issues. My condolences to her family, its unfortunate that they had to lose her in this way.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!



    Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

    DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.


  5. #20

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    234

    Re: Woman Dies After Riding "Mission: Space" - WFTV, 4/12/06

    So, that's now two deaths as a result of Mission: Space. Now I've never been on the ride, but I think it seems like a safe attraction, and that these two deaths come from the persons ignoring the safety warnings about heath condition, etc. which many think are just to cover Disney's butts but actually do mean something.

  6. #21

    • Fight On for ol' SC!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    915

    Sad Re: Woman Dies After Riding "Mission: Space" - WFTV, 4/12/06

    NO...why 2 days before my visit?

  7. #22

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3

    Re: Woman Dies After Riding "Mission: Space" - WFTV, 4/12/06

    I think it's pretty clear that there had to be a pre-existing condition. Think about how many people have been on this ride. If the ride itself was unsafe and causing death, there'd be a lot more than 2 deaths. The ride isn't killing people, it's exacerbating existing health conditions.

    I've been on the ride. It made me feel sick as hell. But that's what being spun around real fast does to people.

    The article did say that it was a German woman and perhaps she didn't speak English well enough to understand the warnings?

  8. #23

    • Tom Chaney R.I. P.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Just somewhere south of dysfunctional
    Posts
    3,216

    Re: Woman Dies After Riding "Mission: Space" - WFTV, 4/12/06

    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL
    No, but you don't hear of people being killed on it either.
    just a small point, there is a difference between being killed on a ride and dieing on a ride because of a medical condition.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE





    PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

  9. #24

    • Official Mice Chat person
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Woman Dies After Riding "Mission: Space" - WFTV, 4/12/06

    Quote Originally Posted by Namrepus
    Doesn't it seem like every time a site like MiceAge takes time off, something major like this happens? As soon as Al announced the "spring break," I was thinking, "What's gonna happen now?"
    I thought the exact same thing Namrepus. Right when he went on Spring Break I thought the same thing.

    My dad heard this on the radio this morning and just told me about it, so I thought I'd check out micechat for the full story. It's really a shame that this happend again. It must be so horrible for the family.

  10. #25

    • Huh?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,808

    Re: Woman Dies After Riding "Mission: Space" - WFTV, 4/12/06

    The latest:

    Disney Ride Reopens Day After Woman Dies
    By TRAVIS REED
    Associated Press Writer

    ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Walt Disney World reopened its "Mission: Space" attraction Thursday, a day after a woman who became ill after leaving the ride died at a hospital.
    It was the second death in less than a year related to the Epcot Center ride, which spins riders in a centrifuge that subjects them to twice the normal force of gravity. It is considered so intense it has motion sickness bags and signs warning people with heart, back and neck problems not to board it.
    The 49-year-old German woman who died Wednesday had reported dizziness and nausea after stepping off the ride on Tuesday, Disney officials said.
    Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said Thursday that the woman's family didn't want any information about her released. Disney had told state officials that the woman may have had high blood pressure and other unspecified health problems.
    "Walt Disney World engineers and ride system experts completed a thorough inspection of the attraction overnight and found it to be operating properly," the theme park said Thursday in announcing the reopening of the ride.
    A worker from the state Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection monitored the testing and said the ride didn't appear "to be acting abnormal in any way," said Terence McElroy, a spokesman for Florida's Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, which oversees the bureau.
    An incident report on the death may not be available for months, McElroy said.
    The $100 million ride, one of Disney World's most popular, was also closed in June after the death of a 4-year-old boy who passed out while aboard. An autopsy concluded he died of a heart condition that a medical examiner said can cause sudden death in stressful situations.
    I love it that they referred to the park as Epcot Center.
    -Tim

  11. #26

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    12.5 minutes from Disneyland
    Posts
    14,007
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: Woman Dies After Riding "Mission: Space" - WFTV, 4/12/06

    Wow. Here we go again. We mixed it up pretty good on another thread last Summer after that 4 year old boy died on the same ride.

    So here's the problem: The majority of riders seems to enjoy the ride and seem to suffer no ill effects. My daughter and myself would be included in that category. This is a GREAT ride!

    However...let's say that about 10% or more riders are suffering from mild to severe nausea after this ride. Correct me if I'm wrong, but out of ALL Disney theme park rides, this one holds the record for spewage. (At least it did when I was there during the previews. The line was moving so slow because they had to keep rushing in to clean up the mess.)

    Lastly, now you have two fatalities within 9 months. PROBABLY both of them were pre existing conditions.

    My question: Will they let this ride stay open, or will they permanently shut it down?

  12. #27

    • Basking in birthday love
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Claremont bubble
    Posts
    2,269

    Re: Woman Dies After Riding "Mission: Space" - WFTV, 4/12/06

    The second article posted said that she was a German tourist; it's possible she didn't speak any English and couldn't understand the numerous signs and warnings.

    Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

    "It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

  13. #28

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: Woman Dies After Riding "Mission: Space" - WFTV, 4/12/06

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt
    But I am sure, in all fairness, that maybe some people do not realize they have high blood pressure, or heart problems and go on these ride thinking they are completely healthy. Then a tragedy like this happens. I feel for the family. I just hope they don't decide to sue.
    This is exactly why I feel this ride is dangerous...

    People enter this ride with the resonable expectation that it will not kill or injure them or those that they love... Riders seeing or hearing the warning are not going to go through a physical before riding or call their doctors before riding Mission Space. They might also think that their condition is so serious that it deems them sitting it out with their family dragging them on... And they are not fully aware of the consequences of this type of mistake... Why? Because it's Disney...

    And it is because of this reasonable expectation, I find it difficult Disney does not face legal reprocussions for wrongful death... Particularly if this is the second time in a year, both times the ride was said to be opperating normally, and Disney is fully aware of both incendences...

    I disagree with the Florida anti-regulatory policy of keeping the ride open untill a full investigation into the death had occured... I have argued this on this board many times before, but it deserves saying again... I don't live in Florida, I know folks who do, and I have emplored them to ask for these types of changes in converstions before...

    I believe that the California Parks are far safer because the state would not allow the ride to function untill a full investigation can occur, and some resolution could be made...
    Check out my other blog:

  14. #29

    • Disney Memory Maker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kissimmee, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,671

    Re: Woman Dies After Riding "Mission: Space" - WFTV, 4/12/06

    Unfortunately I hope that think that Disney will probably replace it because while I was there they had to give out surprise Fast Passes for it.........My question is, If a ride is so good and so enjoyable than why do they have to drum up business for it.
    They give out suprise Fastpasses to get more people there? Why? Unlike Test Track & Soarin', Mission:Space loads in people really fast. Every minute, an additional 40 people are being loaded in. For there to be a line, a crowd of people must get there at the same time.

    How many centrifuges are there? What I wish Disney would do is tone down the velocity of one of them so that people who don't know if they'll be able to stomach it can check it out. The slower setting would affect everyone on that centrifuge though, so I doubt that could ever happen.
    Something like this was talked about in the other thread, so I'll say it again here. Where would we draw the line? Should there be one shaft in the ToT for people who don't know what to expect? Should they offer a non spinning teacup for those who don't like spinning but what to go on the ride? Should they make it so that for a certain span of time, no music is played in Small World? Mission: Space is fine how it is. It is not Disney's fault that people don't use common sense & think that just because it is in Disney, doesn't mean it's not intense. They already set the mood long before you enter the ride itself that it's very intense.

    No, but you don't hear of people being killed on it either.
    No one has ever died as a result of Mission: Space (not including the current situation since we don't know autopsy results yet). The only other person that died had a rare pre-existing condition in which he could have died virtually anywhere.

    I think from Disney's stand point with the all the negative pubilicity surrounding the ride they will probably consider it.
    Mission: Space cost over $100m to make (not including marketing). With Epcot's birthday around the corner, it would take a death in which the ride itself caused the death & was unfixable.

    The first thing I thought about was the MiceChatters going to WDW in October. I'm a little scared for you guys!!
    There's nothing to be scared of. Disney has made sure the ride is operating perfectly & have reopened it. In fact, most Rollercoasters offer more G's than MS does. Bottom line though.... don't think you can handle it? Don't ride it!

    So, that's now two deaths as a result of Mission: Space.
    NO! Mission: Space itself has never cause a death before.

    So here's the problem: The majority of riders seems to enjoy the ride and seem to suffer no ill effects. My daughter and myself would be included in that category. This is a GREAT ride!

    However...let's say that about 10% or more riders are suffering from mild to severe nausea after this ride. Correct me if I'm wrong, but out of ALL Disney theme park rides, this one holds the record for spewage. (At least it did when I was there during the previews. The line was moving so slow because they had to keep rushing in to clean up the mess.)

    Lastly, now you have two fatalities within 9 months. PROBABLY both of them were pre existing conditions.

    My question: Will they let this ride stay open, or will they permanently shut it down?
    Again, the ride will not permenantly be shut. For that to happen, the ride itself would have had to cause the death, & the reason it did would have to be unfixable. And I highly doubt MS is the leader of 'protein spills.' That record I'd think would probably go to Primeval Whirl (don't know that as a fact though).

    I believe that the California Parks are far safer because the state would not allow the ride to function untill a full investigation can occur, and some resolution could be made...
    Oh please, in California someone stubs their toe getting out of the ride & the ride is shut for 5 months. Disney World has never opened a ride before that wasn't safe. Can the same be said for Disneyland? Do I need to mention the one.... no two...... no three accidents on BTMRR (not to mention other recent problems)?

    People enter this ride with the resonable expectation that it will not kill or injure them or those that they love... Riders seeing or hearing the warning are not going to go through a physical before riding or call their doctors before riding Mission Space.
    Same can be said of every ride that has the same warnings MS does (EE, RnRC, ToT, etc).
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

  15. #30

    • Old Timer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    303

    Re: Woman Dies After Riding "Mission: Space" - WFTV, 4/12/06

    Its a killer ride and nobody is willing to admit it. Surely Disney does not have to stoop so low as to put our lives at risk in building new rides?

    I say shut it down.

    I have not nor will I ever allow any member of my family to ride it, I cannot take a chance like that.

    I have been following reports from many sources since MS opened, its really a ride not meant for anyone that is not in top physical condition.
    Micechat member # 98

    TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. From " Mission to Mars " to " Mission: Space "
    By loaloa55 in forum MiceAge Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-24-2009, 10:42 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-11-2006, 08:56 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-14-2005, 12:53 PM
  4. 4-year old dies after riding Mission Space at Epcot
    By Chadalad in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-14-2005, 06:27 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •