Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Re: Woman Dies After Riding "Mission: Space" - WFTV, 4/12/06

And a video wouldn't do it for me. I'm the kind of person who never believes what I see on video, and write the whole thing off. I really have to eyeball a ride to know if it's right for me.

Gadget's Go-Coaster: I never took the time to actually observe that ride. I just assumed it was a kiddie ride. I was so enthralled with other aspects of Toontown that observing Gadget's way before I ever got in it, wasn't a priority. There wasn't a line so I raced right up to get on......and whoaa..... Gadget's is as violent as Mulholland Madness..... who knew? Well, now I know, but the point is....I had to experience it first. If anyone had told me, or there was a video, I just wouldn't have believed it ....being the ride is located in Toontown, and not having had the chance to actually take a gander at the ride, and eyeball it beforehand.

Silver Bullet: Nobody needs to tell me anything about that ride. It's right in front of your face from everywhere in Knotts. Visually, you know not to go on that one. It's almost like that ride flaunts how violent it is, the way it hits you in the face everywhere around the park.....the dangling legs, the going upside-down, etc. You've already experienced the ride, up close, with your own eyes, before you ever get on, which I never will.

Same thing with Ghostrider.

These are definite visual clues.

This Mission: Space ride still seems rather vague to me, even with all the explanations of how violent it is. I just can't seem to get a sense of it, without having seen it up close like the others above.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    So, for those of us who have experianced Disney for quite some time previous... Having a sholder strap doesn't necisarly mean the ride is intense.
    But what Disney ride has a shoulder strap that isn't intensive? In fact what ride at any major theme/amusement park has a shoulder strap that isn't intensive?
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor
    But what Disney ride has a shoulder strap that isn't intensive? In fact what ride at any major theme/amusement park has a shoulder strap that isn't intensive?
    The Bumper Cars at Knotts.

(Autopia?)

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces
    The Bumper Cars at Knotts.

(Autopia?)
    I think you are confusing Shoulder seat belts with shoulder restraints. Bumper cars has a shoulder seat belt. Autiopia has the regular lap belt. This is what I'm talking about by shoulder restraints. No gentle ride has those.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Disney Memory Maker

Autopsy Results

So she had blood pressure and should not have been on the ride. Once again, the ride is not at fault.

•   
    • Minion

Autopsy Results

So she had blood pressure and should not have been on the ride. Once again, the ride is not at fault.
    1. How long has the ride been in operation since they made this conclusion?

2. Would she not been on the ride, would she have died?

3. Is Disney offering "due dilligence" under the circumstance considering the following:
    A. She is not a native english reader or speaker?

B. Riders are not properly notified of the consequence of ignoring the warning can cause fatality in riders with high blood presure and heart desease?

C. Riders do not have to comply to the fact that they are in full understanding on the consequence of ignoring the warning... (Perhaps a written waver system could be installed on a touch screen pad? Which must be signed by everyone before being aloud to ride.)

D. Disney does not offer health inspections to all riders so people are not informed that they are riding at their own risk?

E. This information regarding the warning is not conveyed in the marketing of the ride, implying that the ride is safe for all riders?
    Check out my other blog:

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    1. How long has the ride been in operation since they made this conclusion?
    It's been open all day today & yesterday. But since the ride is not at fault, it doesn't matter.

2. Would she not been on the ride, would she have died?
    If she went on any other health-warnings ride, most likely, yes.

A. She is not a native english reader or speaker?
    Guidemaps are available in pretty much every language (including German) & they repeat the warnings in the respective language. Not an excuse.

B. Riders are not properly notified of the consequence of ignoring the warning can cause fatality in riders with high blood presure and heart desease?
    Disney informs guests that it is a health risk to do so. Disney cannot and should not make a notice saying you can die on the ride. If they do, they'd have to put it on every ride on property that have those warnings. This is what I like to call "learning personal responsibility."

C. Riders do not have to comply to the fact that they are in full understanding on the consequence of ignoring the warning... (Perhaps a written waver system could be installed on a touch screen pad? Which must be signed by everyone before being aloud to ride.)
    Again, it's called personal responsibility. Disney should not be held responsible for people not knowing common sense. Is it possible the lady didn't know about her blood pressure? I guess, but I find it highly unlikely considering that any blood test taken in her life would have told her that.

E. This information regarding the warning is not conveyed in the marketing of the ride, implying that the ride is safe for all riders?
    It doesn't matter what the marketing says. When you go up to the ride, there are clear warnings that it is a health risk to ride if you have certain problems. Foreign Guidemaps repeat the same warning. This is not an excuse.

•   
    • Minion

I don't want to get answers from you on these questions, Mike... You are not qualified to answer these questions...

I want answers from Disney.
    Check out my other blog:

•   
    • Minion

I am also talking "Due Diligence" which has a very specific meaning both in the legal and business sense...
    Check out my other blog:

• Old Timer

Put a gold brick on the ground with a note saying that if you suffer from ANY physical ailment you may die if you pick this up.

So many people are unaware this ride is a centrifuge, basically the same thing as in the movie Moonraker but with more cars, or as I look at this, MS was made for people with the "Right Stuff"

Unfortunately that cannot apply to every guest coming through the gates of WDW especially the Wrong Stuff folks....
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

I think you are confusing Shoulder seat belts with shoulder restraints. Bumper cars has a shoulder seat belt. Autiopia has the regular lap belt. This is what I'm talking about by shoulder restraints. No gentle ride has those.
    Oh, you didn't say "restraint" at first......you said "strap"---initially ......and the Bumper Cars have a shoulder strap.

Space Mountain has a heart condition warning. I rode it anyway. I couldn't not ride Space Mountain. I hadn't been on it since 1978, and I figured if it kills me, well, there are worse ways to die.

Initially, my strategy was to just leave Space, and Big Thunder till the very end, that way if I died, at least I'd have completed my trip. (nothing worse than interrupting a long-planned trip mid-way) I'm not kidding. But then I thought, what if nothing happens?, and I really like Space.......I'll have left it to the very end and not have chances to ride again and again.

Turns out the Space Mountain was very theraputic for my heart condition. Riding it first thing in the morning, I felt invigorated and exhilarated. It was like having a caffeine jolt, without the caffeine. I felt wonderful, after getting off that one.

So, I don't know what to say. Gadget's was a big mistake for me, and so was Maliboomer.

But Space Mountain is therapy. Go figure.

I'm telling you, some of these rides are theraputic, as they get sluggish blood circulating....and flowing again.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces
    Space Mountain has a heart condition warning. I rode it anyway. I couldn't not ride Space Mountain. I hadn't been on it since 1978, and I figured if it kills me, well, there are worse ways to die.

Initially, my strategy was to just leave Space, and Big Thunder till the very end, that way if I died, at least I'd have completed my trip. (nothing worse than interrupting a long-planned trip mid-way) I'm not kidding. But then I thought, what if nothing happens?, and I really like Space.......I'll have left it to the very end and not have chances to ride again and again.

Turns out the Space Mountain was very theraputic for my heart condition. Riding it first thing in the morning, I felt invigorated and exhilarated. It was like having a caffeine jolt, without the caffeine. I felt wonderful, after getting off that one.

So, I don't know what to say. Gadget's was a big mistake for me, and so was Maliboomer.

But Space Mountain is therapy. Go figure.

I'm telling you, some of these rides are theraputic, as they get sluggish blood circulating....and flowing again.
    The thing is, and I think we need to clarify here... a centrifuge exherts force differantly than a roller coaster...

A centrifuge exherts G forces uniformly over a period of time, a roller coaster exherts G forces in small bursts...
    Check out my other blog:

• Old Timer

I bet one more person dies from this ride its heading to Yesterland, at this rate that should be around next january.
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• Disney Memory Maker

Update

A few interesting points in that article.
    For those who don't believe that the little boy last year couldn't have died elsewhere.....
    Concerns about its safety briefly surged last June after the death of Daudi Bamuwamye, a 4-year-old from Pennsylvania. His autopsy showed he suffered from a rare, undiagnosed heart ailment that was so severe that the startling sound of a popping balloon could have killed him.
    Obviously her blood pressure was high & she shouldn't have gone on the ride...
    Garavaglia noted that the autopsy of the 49-year-old woman from Schmitten, a town outside Frankfurt, showed "evidence of severe, long-standing high blood pressure."
    Disney saying what I've been saying all thread...
    "The warning signs indicate that Mission: Space is not for every guest," Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said. "I don't know what else to say beyond that."
    Proof that language is not an issue...
    Epcot's brochure, available in German and other languages at the park entrance, warns that riders of Mission: Space and Test Track "should be in good health and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness, or other conditions that could be aggravated by this adventure."
    Last edited by TheDisneyInquisitor; 04-15-2006 at 06:26 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345