Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Woman Dies After Riding "Mission: Space" - WFTV, 4/12/06

http://www.wftv.com/news/8653845/detail.html

In a written statement, the Walt Disney World Resort said a 49-year-old woman died Wednesday after riding “Mission: Space” at Epcot.

The woman became ill after she got off the ride Tuesday afternoon. She was taken to Celebration Hospital.

“We have closed the attraction to reconfirm proper operation of the ride,” the statement read. “The state Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection was notified and will be on site to monitor the inspection and review of the attraction.”

The statement expressed condolences to the woman’s family. Walt Disney World has not released the woman’s name or what caused her death.

In June 2005, a 4-year-old boy died after riding “Mission: Space.” A autopsy report released the following November showed that Daudi Bamuwayme had an enlarged heart, which put him at risk of sudden death.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Across From DL

Re: Woman Dies After Riding "Mission: Space" - WFTV, 4/12/06

Wow, My heart goes out to her family Didn't WDW tone down Mission:Space? This type of news sure won't help the 50th celebration in Florida

• Disney Memory Maker

Woman dies after riding Disney's Mission:Space- Orlando Sentinel

A bit more info from the orlando sentinel.......
    A 49-year-old woman from Germany died Wednesday after riding Walt Disney World's Mission:Space ride, the second death in less than a year associated with the signature thrill ride.

The woman died at Florida Hospital Celebration Health, where she was taken Tuesday after becoming sick following the mock space flight at Epot, according to a statement released late Wednesday by the theme park.

"We learned today that her condition had become very serious, and this evening we were notified she passed away," the statement said in part.

About midday Wednesday, Disney officials called the state Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection to report the woman's condition.

They said the woman got off the ride and was dizzy, nauseated and generally not feeling well, said Terence McElroy , spokesman for the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, which oversees the fair rides bureau.

Disney also told state inspectors that the woman may have suffered from high blood pressure and other health problems, McElroy said.

About 4:45 p.m. Wednesday, Disney officials called the state agency again to say the woman's condition was grave, and the ride was going to be shut down immediately. It had been operating normally, Disney officials told the fair bureau.

A department field inspector was sent out about 7 p.m. Wednesday to observe Disney's routine checks of the ride, McElroy said.

Florida's largest amusement parks, including Walt Disney World, are exempt from state regulations that require mandatory reporting of injuries and give the state authority to shut down and inspect rides. Disney voluntarily submits to safety inspections.

A report on the status of the ride would not be available until at least Thursday McElroy said.

Disney did not release the German tourist's identity or other details about the incident.

"I don't have permission from the guests to release any information," Disney spokesman Bill Warren said Wednesday night.

Up to 160 customers at a time can ride the giant centrifuge which spins them at 2 G-forces, or twice the force of Earth's gravity, on the fantasy flight to Mars. Numerous signs advise anyone suffering from heart disease and other illnesses not to board the ride.

Concerns about the safety of the 4-minute ride were first raised when it opened in August 2003 and some riders complained of dizziness and nausea.

In December that year, motion-sickness bags were added to the "capsules" to prevent cleanup-related delays.

The death in June 2005 of 4-year-old Daudi Bamuwamye renewed safety concerns when he collapsed while riding with his mother and sister.

An autopsy showed the child died from a rare, undiagnosed heart disease unrelated to the ride, according to Orange-Osceola Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Jan Garavaglia.

Bamuwamye's parents asked Disney to raise the ride's minimum height requirement from 44 to 51 inches to exclude young children, but Disney declined.

A review of ambulance records by the Orlando Sentinel showed medical attention was sought by only 143 of more than 8.6 million people who took the ride before Bamuwamye's death. Disney posts paramedics within a 2-minute golf cart ride of Mission: Space.

In its written statement about Wednesday's death, Disney stated, "First and foremost, our concern is for the guest's family. We offer them our deepest sympathies and assistance during this difficult time."

I feel for the family, but hold my stance that this was most likely not Disney's fault.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

I still really don't understand these deaths. I honestly don't think WDW needs to tone down Mission: Space at all, I rode it six times in a row once, with just walk time through the queue, with no effects whatsoever.
    Once again, there must be some pre-existing condition involved.

Honestly, they can get rid of M:S for all I care, it may be fun, but it gets old in a hurry.

This is a terrible tragedy for the family, and they have my most sincere sympathies.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Niyxstyx
    Honestly, they can get rid of M:S for all I care, it may be fun, but it gets old in a hurry.
    It got old after one ride for me. Just no magic at all.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

It's an issue for me. I always read the warning precautions and try to make the best decisions for myself. I'm not familiar with "Mission: Space", is it similar to Space Mountain?

Do they post warnings? Not all rides at Disneyland have warnings. Gadget's Go-Coaster, for one.

I found Space Mountain to be positively exhilarating. It actually did my heart good and got the blood flowing......which is just what I needed, especially when I'd ride it early in the morning EE, on an empty stomach, of course.

Maybe Disney needs to go to a number system like Knotts so people with heart conditions could better gauge what's right for them, and what to refrain from.

I certainly would never have rode Gadget's Go-Coaster had I known how violent it was. I thought it was just a kiddie ride. Kids have heart problems too, and there were no warning signs.

Other rides were not so kind. Mali-boomer, was difficult for me

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

It just seems so weird that another death has been related to this ride. Especially since it seems so soon after the last.

My condolenses to the family. It's just terrible.

• All you need is LOVE

Wow thanks for the info

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces
    I'm not familiar with "Mission: Space", is it similar to Space Mountain?
    No, they're nothing alike. Mission: Space is an intense simulator ride where they use a centifruge to spin you around & recreate the sensation of space flight.

Do they post warnings?
    Put it this way, no other attraction on Disney property has more warnings.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Sad this is.I'm real curious what the autopsy report will bring, I know it sounds morbid,but I'm wondering what the fitness or physical state of this particular person was.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Doesn't it seem like every time a site like MiceAge takes time off, something major like this happens? As soon as Al announced the "spring break," I was thinking, "What's gonna happen now?"

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I feel for the family.

In all my years of going to WDW I still have yet to ride this ride. Last trip to Epcot my boyfriend went on and we ended up at the First Aid Center because he felt sick...headache, nausea etc..

I think that while this ride is good for some, I personally won't go on it because I know how rides like this affect me.

Unfortunately I hope that think that Disney will probably replace it because while I was there they had to give out surprise Fast Passes for it.

I asked a CM and he said that they give them out randomly to drum up interest in the ride.

My question is, If a ride is so good and so enjoyable than why do they have to drum up business for it. Especially since I got the "special" FP from right next door at Test Track.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL
    I feel for the family.

In all my years of going to WDW I still have yet to ride this ride. Last trip to Epcot my boyfriend went on and we ended up at the First Aid Center because he felt sick...headache, nausea etc..

I think that while this ride is good for some, I personally won't go on it because I know how rides like this affect me.

Unfortunately I hope that think that Disney will probably replace it because while I was there they had to give out surprise Fast Passes for it.

I asked a CM and he said that they give them out randomly to drum up interest in the ride.

My question is, If a ride is so good and so enjoyable than why do they have to drum up business for it. Especially since I got the "special" FP from right next door at Test Track.
    Because of the intensity. Most guests who shouldn't be riding it don't ride it. I think it's an awesome ride, but it's by no means a family ride. It also has a tremendously high hourly capacity (something around that of Pirates of the Caribbean without the mass family appeal). I don't really think the lines are a problem. Not every E-ticket needs 2 hour waits. The Haunted Mansion is almost always walk on. Should it be removed?
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• back in Austin

I get claustrophobic on simulator rides in general, so one like this that's more intense and involves a smaller ride vehicle -- I'll probably never do it. It's too bad, though, because I love the concept.

How many centrifuges are there? What I wish Disney would do is tone down the velocity of one of them so that people who don't know if they'll be able to stomach it can check it out. The slower setting would affect everyone on that centrifuge though, so I doubt that could ever happen.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

I just don't understand how these things happen. While standing in line for this ride you hear an announcement practically every five minutes on who should not ride this ride! You also see signs everywhere, and I mean everywhere! Are these people in line not seeing the signs or hearing the announcements? I was once in line with this old guy and saw him after the ride. I asked him how he liked it and he said he didn't. He was claustrophobic and hated being close in. I stared at him with my mouth open in complete bewilderment. Did he not hear the warnings about people who are claustrophobic should not ride this ride? Oh well. To each his own.

But I am sure, in all fairness, that maybe some people do not realize they have high blood pressure, or heart problems and go on these ride thinking they are completely healthy. Then a tragedy like this happens. I feel for the family. I just hope they don't decide to sue.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast