• Bear Country Refugee

National Geographic Channel's "The Great Quake"

Did anyone else watch this over sensationalized, melodramatic piece of crap?
    "The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion. " -George Washington

• Merry 2014!

Re: National Geographic Channel's "The Great Quake"

Yeah! It has been on all day. Isn't it great!
    It has actually replaced, what do they call it? oh yeah good programming.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Again! Again! Again!

I didn't watch it, but we were just discussing how the ads for it were wrong. The commercials for it were saying the show was about the biggest earthquake to hit North America (or the United States, can't remember what they said) in history. Uhhhhh, WRONG!!! The 1906 SF quake was around 8.3 on the Richter. Now I now the Richter wasn't made til later, but the measurements they had would have measured around 8.3.

In 1964, the Anchorage earthquake registered 9.2!!! I do believe THAT is the biggest quake. You'd think the HISTORY channel would know that!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• Merry 2014!

UUummmm, it is the National Geographic Channel. They don't have to have their facts straight.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

•   
    • debating what to put here

I thought there was an earthquake in either the 17 or 1800's that occurred in the southeast US and is believed to be the biggest. What's funny is, a lot of people that live in that region are sure that they are safe from earthquakes.

On edit: There were three, of a magnitude of at least 8.0 that occurred in Missouri in 1811-1812. Thank you, google.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• Bear Country Refugee

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy4
    I didn't watch it, but we were just discussing how the ads for it were wrong. The commercials for it were saying the show was about the biggest earthquake to hit North America (or the United States, can't remember what they said) in history. Uhhhhh, WRONG!!! The 1906 SF quake was around 8.3 on the Richter. Now I now the Richter wasn't made til later, but the measurements they had would have measured around 8.3.

In 1964, the Anchorage earthquake registered 9.2!!! I do believe THAT is the biggest quake. You'd think the HISTORY channel would know that!
    That's no all it got wrong! Blech!

The BF and I were discussing, after it ended, that we wish Ken Burns would do a documentary about it. The thousands of pictures that exist, along with the survivor's accounts, would make for a very compelling film.
    "The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion. " -George Washington

• Again! Again! Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico!
    UUummmm, it is the National Geographic Channel. They don't have to have their facts straight.
    Oh yeah, they did have one too. But still, you'd think they would know too! I knew it was one of those channels. I wasn't sure which one I saw the ads on since they both had speee-shalls!

MBC!! I love when I see your posts. I miss you! But still the one in Anchorage has been the biggest I thought. Apparantly people think that Alaska isn't a state!!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

The best show that has been on about the 1906 quake and fire is one the Discovery Channel did called The Great Cover Up. It gave a fairly accurate depictation of what really happened and the fraud that was caused because of it.

Tomorrow morning I'm thinking about going to Lotta's Fountain in downtown SF. Every April 18th they hold a memorial there for those who died that fateful day. They should have a lot going on being that this is the 100th.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• MiceChat News Team

Blog Entries

btw.. here's the story behind 'Lotta's fountain':

Lotta's Fountain is a San Francisco landmark on the corner of Kearny and Market streets. Donated to the citizens of San Francisco in 1875 by Lotta Crabtree, a performer who began her show biz career at age 6 dancing for miners in the gold country and eventually becoming one of America's most popular performers.

During the 1906 earthquake the fountain became a famous meeting place and bulletin board for families and survivors. Survivors still gather for reunions around the fountain at each anniversary of the '06 quake. Lotta's fountain was restored in 1999.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Yesterday I was watching the CBS Sunday Morning Show and they did a short segment on the earthquake. They talked to one of the few survivors left. She is 108 years old! Looks good and is sharp as a tack. There are very few survivors left to meet at the fountain anymore but she is planning to be there.

Secondly, here in the Los Angeles area KCET Channel 28 (PBS) is airing an Amercian Experience production about the earthquake tonight at 10 PM. I do not have cable (gasp) and so did not see the one you folks are referring to. I hope the one done by American Experience is better than what you all saw.

• MiceChat News Team

Blog Entries

Here's a picture from this morning festivies on Market St at Lotta's Fountain.

This was at 5am today. I was hopeing that everyone would have been asleep, instead it felt alot like being in Disneyland (except most people were somber instead of happy)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jwbear
    You summed it up perfectly and all in one sentence!!!

Anyway I noticed that these days the media is going through a weather frenzy.

1) you have news stations making storms seem worse than they really are.
    2) you have Discovery Channel unleashing many show revolving around storms such as "Perfect Disasters"
    3) you have other stations creating shows basted upon weather too.

Why all of a sudden has the media taken interests in deadly weather?

•   
    • debating what to put here

Well, the weather is doing some strange things lately. Look at last years hurricane season and this years tornado season, which has barely begun and yet, we have already accumulated over 500 of them. It could be a record breaking season. I think that is reason enough for people to be curious.

Remember, if people didn't have an interest in this stuff, the media wouldn't cover it.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jwbear
    I watched part and was very disappointed.... ABC7 San Francisco has a special tonight, I'm hoping will be worth watching (And recording)

The San Francisco Chronicle Ran a reprint of it's fromt Page from April 19th 1906, and is really cool! I hope everyone interested in this piece of American History, is able to get a copy.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth